Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm in the process of fitting a towbar to my 307 SW 52 plate, and was just wondering the best way to wire in the electrics. I think it seems daft paying £80 for a loom, when I could throw together a few relays and do it that way..

Has anyone any experience in towbar wiring?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated, cheers! :thumb:

·
Registered
42 Posts
i would imagine i have done mine wrong.. but it is working fine .. i found all the wires needed in the pasenger side rear cover . didnt have any fancy tools etc.

I just used a test lamp to find which wire became live when each lamp was turned on, then scotchlocked the appropriate towbar wires into it.

Ive had no probs using my trailer or my light board with it.

no faults or warnings on dashbord so seems all ok . :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
just what I had come on to ask !

307 but not estate is hatch

03 model so from what I have read on here I can just go straight into the loom without a relay ?

I am a bit confused about the wiring though

I would have just thought it was matching colour to colour - but people are saying the cables are numbered !

so could anyone tell me which colour goes to which number ???

Also fiting wise I have a 2nd hand witter, so just have 2 plates and some bolts. Is it an easy enough job to fit ? How long do you think I would be looking at ? have tools etc... and a bit of knowledge, but not a mechanic

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just what I had come on to ask !

I would have just thought it was matching colour to colour - but people are saying the cables are numbered !

so could anyone tell me which colour goes to which number ???
If you remove the plug from the rear light cluster on the drivers side and look at the plug with the blue cable on the left, you have:

R/H indicator (290), then tail lights (264), then brake lights (2100) (this has two cables out of it), then an earth (mc265), then reverse light (2200) and the fog light.
On the passenger side the indicator is numbered 289 so you need a wire off this.

The trailer wire colour code is shown below..

So just join the right colour to the correct wire.

Fitting it is an easy(ish) job, although with mine several rusty bolts sheared and had to be removed the hard way.. Took me an afternoon. :thumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
awesome ! thanks for that

2 more questions

1. where do i route the cable ? does it go up through the bumper

2. does it matter which of the 2 cables i connect to coming out of the brake lights ?

thanks

ian

·
Registered
17 Posts
sorry couple of more q's

1. do rh tail and lh tail both go into 264 or is there a 264 cable on either side to wire into ?

2. which no. cable is the fog ? or is it just a blue to blue connection ?:confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. where do i route the cable ? does it go up through the bumper
I drilled a hole near to the spare wheel through the floor (estate might be different from hatchback), then ran it under the finishing strip thing at the back so you cant see any wiring.

2. does it matter which of the 2 cables i connect to coming out of the brake lights ?
No it won't.

1. do rh tail and lh tail both go into 264 or is there a 264 cable on either side to wire into ?
I did, but your meant to have a feed from each side. Think its number 263 on the passenger side if you want to take a wire off that.

2. which no. cable is the fog ? or is it just a blue to blue connection ?:confused:
Haynes manual says its number 2060/2061 for the fog lights but mine was the brown wire going into the plug at one edge with the number 201A on it..

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
17 Posts
this might be the case

I have got the towbar fitted (as predicted by graham it took me an afternoon thanks to some particullar stubborn nuts + mastic)

Connected the coloured wires out of the towbar (already fitted as purchased 2nd hand) up to the correctly numbered wires - initial tests show that brake lights are working, but indicators are not

only had an old trailer board to test the socket out with, so it could be that the indicator bulbs on this have both gone ?

bit of head scratching over it this weekend me thinks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have now wired mine up differently after finding this...

Towbar Electronics

which works fine.

Dont you need a relay/connector box that flashes a separate indicator bulb that you fit on the dash? Or is that old hat stuff?
I think you need a warning for the indicators either a light or a buzzer, which is why I fitted a buzzer (which came with my towbar) to the indicator circuit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ah, this may be the issue i have with no indicators

is there an aftermarket option available on ebay at all - or do i have to go the home made route ????

was happy enough splicing wires, but making that board up may be a bit beyond me !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got the relay and hooked it all up just to be safe! Am not sure where to get the 12v permanent live feed from though - can anyone help me ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the relay and hooked it all up just to be safe! Am not sure where to get the 12v permanent live feed from though - can anyone help me ?
I took mine from a feed from the 12v socket in the back, but its not ideal since the lights don't work without the ignition on..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts