Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my father has just had his 307 1.6 hdi serviced at a garage and after a few days back decided to check the levels.To his suprise the oil level is 1/2 " higher than the maximum level on the dip stick.Hes not happy and has taken back to the garage to be rectified.But he wanted to know will there have been any long term damage done to the engine ?
He's only done about 60 miles since the service and only been pottering about.
He said the car was running ok and didn't notice any problems till he checked the dip stick.
Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello..
I cant imagine there will be any damage done to the engine, most will have a 'blow off' somewhere on the engine that will just get rid of excess and make it seem like theres an oil leak, i would have thought the worst that could be done is to smother the engine out with oil to the point it wont start..

J

·
0 Posts
Probably down to rushing to get the oil in rather than filling some, and waiting for it to get down to the sump properly.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
i wouldnt worry about it personally, my oil level is about 5mm above the max mark on the dip stick...

ive done over 2k miles since...no issues. from what i understand is that there is a still a decent gap before you drown the engine...

from what i am told this gap is about 1.5Litres....so obviously that is just plain negligance if it is over!

C

·
0 Posts
2mm is no where near 1.5 litres - multiply the area of your sump x 2mm for the answer.

Most garages of any size meter the oil in from a pump, so assuming they drained it down properly there is no margin for error. Not being fixed in place and calibrated during manufacture, dipsticks aren't accurate to the CC so don't expect a mm or two here or there to be indicative of something being wrong.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
i think there is a bit of cunfusion between my post and chopper.

i meant the gap from maximum mark to closing the gap, drowning the engine, is 1.5 litres (or so i am told)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys, thanks for the input,i think he will be pleased that it seems that no damage will have been done.
Thanks

C

·
0 Posts
Ah, i see what you mean John - many apple ogies!

PS, I'm loving the new avatar chum ;)

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
no worries...yeah im aspiring...:lol: doing my CPC this week, going to keep your traffic buddies and vosa happy :thumb: :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i meant the gap from maximum mark to closing the gap, drowning the engine, is 1.5 litres (or so i am told)
Well it must have been close , as when he took it to the garage,they drained just over 1.25 litres to get it just below max on the dip stick.He's not happy and rightly so.Could this amount have a long term efffect on the engine and is their anyway of telling,ie Diagnostics done at the main dealers etc ?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
i wouldnt say if the engine was running then no issues would have been caused. its when it squeels and stops you have major problems :lol:

cant harm to have another garage, preferably dealer which will cost, to have a look. any damages found get them to make you a techys report. go back to the garage who overfilled and claim costs back...i did this for a timing belt issue, they cant argue a techys report from dealer.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Hello..
I cant imagine there will be any damage done to the engine, most will have a 'blow off' somewhere on the engine that will just get rid of excess and make it seem like theres an oil leak, i would have thought the worst that could be done is to smother the engine out with oil to the point it wont start..
i think the worst that could happen is it will start to blow seals...i.e. cam crank....and the [email protected] your right about them metering it in but the mechanic should still check the dipstick to ensure its accurate and the meter hasn't ballsed up....i think the explanation of lazy mechanic fits best....he just didn't wait for it to filter to the sump.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
your all wrong, proves you dont know a thing about diesel's, on all engines over filling oil is damaging, it will over pressureise which makes tappets go loud, push oil past the piston rings, on diesel pop a oil seal in the turbo then that feeds warm oil to the intercooler which then gets sucked in to the intake then you have a diesel runaway which unless you react quickly and know what to do (which is obvious that you dont) the engine will destroy itself, dont matter if you disconnect the battery, dont matter if you take the keys out it will still rev itself to destruction, remember diesel is a oil, not a spirit, the mechs who did the work are not mechanics they sound like basic fitters, and come on it says MAX for a reason

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
and come on it says MAX for a reason
And my odometer has the speed marks for a reason - doesn't make them accurate though. My trip computer tells me my fuel consumption for a reason but it isn't accurate - hell it even occasionally tells me the car is doing 999 miles to the gallon but it sure as sh1t isn't telling me the truth.

Some over filling of oil will be within tolerances but excessive over filling will indeed cause issues with the engine but with every engine filled axactly to the correct level you can make the dipstick show both low oil level or high oil level depending.

Before you start telling everyone that they know nothing perhaps you should prove why you are more knowledgeable than every other person on the planet. If someone is running their engine with it being overfilled but not experiencing any damage to their engine then who are you to tell them they are wrong and insult senior members of this forum who have helped many other members - especially with your first post ?

I'd suggest you learn some basic manners before making any more posts on a public forum.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Excess oil would be blown out of the breather system, and eventually burnt.
The fact that the higher than normal level didn't drop over those few days is actually a good thing.

Dealers do often just put a measured amount in, what would worry me here is that maybe they put in the full amount for an empty sump AND oil filter, but "forgot" to renew the filter. Had that happen to me once with a motorcycle. The air box was full of oil.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Hell - he pissed me off so much I forgot to mention that he was slagging off forum members who replied to this thread over 5 years ago. Guess if the OP hadn't replied that his engine died engine then it's safe to assume that the engine didn't blow any seals or blow the turbo seal causing a runaway scenario. Guess upside dave isn't as clued up as he thinks he is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i do apologise for my tone,
however the feeling of the post was its ok to have too much oil and thats why i got aggravated
may not be the best reason but its a truthful one

my history is 16 years in mechanics
6 year's of which panel beating
and last 5 doing diagnostic's, electrical systems
eeprom and flash editing and calibration

ok i'll start with this about your odometer and trip

long story short makers such as jaegar, vdo, bosch etc

they have there speedo's show approx 3 mph more then the actual road speed
this is in the calibration

thats also why when you put incorrect or larger tyres on a vehicle it can still give you a slight overread which is always better then a underread
when the wheels/tyres footprint is alot larger the speedo/abs needs to be recalibrated

the trip computer
its a calculation based on load and throttle request

so when the car is in gear at a speed the kenetic energy of the forward motion of the car is in fact turning the engine,
rather then the engine turning the wheels by adding fuel

so the ecu does not need to supply any fuel to the engine to continue the engine cycle
so in the cars calculation at that stage is that it has the ability to travel a infinite distance hence displayed 999

also thats a instant mpg reading not the conventional mpg

the designed tolerence with the oil level is the min and max

with a petrol it would (as a member above has said) it would most likely pass the rings and flood the combistion chamber and kill the spark and stall out

but i've rebuilt too many diesels where too much oil had been in it and its a roll of a dice how much damage occurs,
its the damage the turbo suffers that really makes it expensive
and thats when they notice a problem as they lose all boost

also as to the breather escape the pressure goes up and can swamp the in take with hot oil vapour, However

i must admit on bigger systems like motorhomes large lorries etc they have better systems in place to get rid of over pressure situation but the general road car systems are never really up to the job especally is they have not had the greatest of lives

on a brand new engine the seals etc are more forgiving for over pressure as they are in there prime

but after a few years the turbo seals are the ones to give first because of the pressures are so high and so hot

again out of respect i do apologise for the tone of my post but too many people will just glance at this and then think its not a problem to have (as th op said) over a litre of oil above the max capacity

there is always a exception to everything
i again have seen alot of cars that simply should not work whatsoever but they still run to this day

upside

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
i do apologise for my tone,
however the feeling of the post was its ok to have too much oil and thats why i got aggravated
may not be the best reason but its a truthful one

my history is 16 years in mechanics
6 year's of which panel beating
and last 5 doing diagnostic's, electrical systems
eeprom and flash editing and calibration

ok i'll start with this about your odometer and trip

long story short makers such as jaegar, vdo, bosch etc

they have there speedo's show approx 3 mph more then the actual road speed
this is in the calibration

thats also why when you put incorrect or larger tyres on a vehicle it can still give you a slight overread which is always better then a underread
when the wheels/tyres footprint is alot larger the speedo/abs needs to be recalibrated

the trip computer
its a calculation based on load and throttle request

so when the car is in gear at a speed the kenetic energy of the forward motion of the car is in fact turning the engine,
rather then the engine turning the wheels by adding fuel

so the ecu does not need to supply any fuel to the engine to continue the engine cycle
so in the cars calculation at that stage is that it has the ability to travel a infinite distance hence displayed 999

also thats a instant mpg reading not the conventional mpg

the designed tolerence with the oil level is the min and max

with a petrol it would (as a member above has said) it would most likely pass the rings and flood the combistion chamber and kill the spark and stall out

but i've rebuilt too many diesels where too much oil had been in it and its a roll of a dice how much damage occurs,
its the damage the turbo suffers that really makes it expensive
and thats when they notice a problem as they lose all boost

also as to the breather escape the pressure goes up and can swamp the in take with hot oil vapour, However

i must admit on bigger systems like motorhomes large lorries etc they have better systems in place to get rid of over pressure situation but the general road car systems are never really up to the job especally is they have not had the greatest of lives

on a brand new engine the seals etc are more forgiving for over pressure as they are in there prime

but after a few years the turbo seals are the ones to give first because of the pressures are so high and so hot

again out of respect i do apologise for the tone of my post but too many people will just glance at this and then think its not a problem to have (as th op said) over a litre of oil above the max capacity

there is always a exception to everything
i again have seen alot of cars that simply should not work whatsoever but they still run to this day

upside
I don't need lessons in mechanics or electronics. I served my time starting in a local garage back in 1973. My father was one of the best mechanics I have ever known and grew up watching him and eventually helping him work on cars. I also have city & guilds 224 certificates in electronic test & servicing. I know why speedo's are slightly wrong though they are more accurate now than they were back in my youth. I also know why my trip computer gives seemingly miraculous MPG figures. I was simply using them to make a point. I also know that there are laws that govern the inaccuracies inherent with the way a speedo displays the speed it is monitoring. On top of all that, I have some knowledge in C++, Pascal, Basic & Visual Basic programming with close to 1000 people using a program I wrote and made available as freeware. Despite my apparent bragging, I do not consider myself an expert in any of the fields I have mentioned nor will I tell a forum I have just joined that all the existing members haven't got a clue what they are talking about.

I've heard stories of people filling an engine up to the top of the filler though never actually seen it for real and yes - that would be a disaster for any engine resulting in a hydraulic lock in a cylinder when on the compression stroke but we aren't exactly talking that kind of foolish overfilling. They were talking relatively small amounts of extra oil which is unlikely to cause terminal disaster. I can make my engine appear to be overfilled simply by parking it outside my house facing in one direction. Simply by turning the car round and parking in the same spot will make the dipstick show around the minimum mark - in fact slightly below minimum but if I park on the opposite side of the road the oil level will be up to the maximum mark simply because there is a large camber on the road outside my house whereas right opposite my house on the other side of the road it is pretty level. To push the boat even further, tyres have a maximum pressure on the side wall for a reason yet I have never had a car were the recommended tyre pressure was anything like as high as displayed on the tyres that came with the car. YES I know what the reason is just as I know why the recommended pressure is different but the point is simply that there are tolerances both above and below recommendations.

My main point is you kicked off insulting people you know nothing about. Panel beating gives you no mechanical expertise apart from being able to shape metal, regardless of how many years you do it so I don't really see your point in mentioning that as being a reason for you being the only one who knows anything about diesel engines. There is nothing more dangerous than someone with a little knowledge who believes themselves to be an expert. Making your first post on any forum an insult to the existing members does not make people want to listen to anything you may have to say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
at what point did i say i was a expert?

i understand you have alot of skills and i dont try to insult your intelligence

and to quote your comment

"Before you start telling everyone that they know nothing perhaps you should prove why you are more knowledgeable than every other person on the planet."

you asked my experience in that statement, so i said what fields i have worked in.
and the mechanical work i said 16 years, yes compaired to you thats not long, but you can have one then more skill in a workshop

and i aint better or more "knowledgeable" then everyone on the planet and neither are you so you need to calm that s*+! down

and another statement
"And my odometer has the speed marks for a reason - doesn't make them accurate though. My trip computer tells me my fuel consumption for a reason but it isn't accurate - hell it even occasionally tells me the car is doing 999 miles to the gallon but it sure as sh1t isn't telling me the truth"

you said about how knowledgeable i am,
so i said that to show that i do have the knowledge

and yes oil level does change when parking on different levels,
but as you know you do these things on level ground etc etc

and lets be honest if i was intentionally trying to maliciously offend i would of took a completly different angle

also at least i ain't done the other trick that haters do of making a comment then never come back to backup what they said,

i apologised for my tone in my first reply

but if your asking things about me dont get so moody when i answer

upside

1 - 20 of 23 Posts