Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, i own a Peugot 307 2005 Mod Petrol 109BHP Has gone 120 000km

For about a little more then a month ago i changed both springs and both sway bars at the front.

While working with this, the drive shaft unfortunately came loose on one of the sides. This caused a minor/big (i have no idea) leak from the gearbox. I of course pushed it back in position immediately and no more leak. But i now knew there was a problem..

Now at the time i bought the right gearbox oil for my model, but i had no clue how much to fill. Someone said: Do not fill more then what you have lost. So i just poured about a little more then half a liter of gearbox oil. (this is what i thought to be the amount that had leaked)

Now after some time my gearbox is making these weird mechanical noises. And it seems that the sound is getting stronger and stronger for every day i drive.

Now my question is. Can i just pour more gearbox oil into the gearbox until it overfills ? Or do i actually have to have the exact amount of oil that the gearbox takes?

My plan was to buy more oil tomorrow and just fill until it overfills and see what happens when i drive.

There has never been any problems with the gearbox. It still works fine as when i bought it.

THOUGH! Worth mentioning that suddenly now my 5th gear can slip out while in speed (all from 70 - 110 km/t) But this rarely happens. But it started a while after my leakage

Thanks for answers.

·
5,886 Posts
The low oil level has allowed the input shaft bearing to run dry damaging it. The bearing is a weak spot on these gearboxes.

Adding extra oil will not fix the problem gearbox will just get worse overtime as the bearing continues to degrade you will need to change gearbox or strip it and replace input shaft bearing in the near future.

Once bearing starts to fully fail it will also damage the clutch. Exactly what happened to my Daughters car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ouch

The low oil level has allowed the input shaft bearing to run dry damaging it. The bearing is a weak spot on these gearboxes.

Adding extra oil will not fix the problem gearbox will just get worse overtime as the bearing continues to degrade you will need to change gearbox or strip it and replace input shaft bearing in the near future.

Once bearing starts to fully fail it will also damage the clutch. Exactly what happened to my Daughters car
Hmm, does this mean that i didn't fill it up to the same amount ?

Adding the extra oil might not fix it, but will it at least decrease the time it takes for it to happen ?

And i just replaced a good lot of parts on this car.. :/ New gearbox sounds expensive.

Edit: If i understand correctly. The longer i wait with changing the input shaft bearing, the bigger the chance for a whole clutch/gearbox replacement ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts