Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to find an older answer to this question but can't.
How do I find out (as a non expert) if my van has a dpf? I looked at some sites as if I was buying an exhaust and it gave 2 options. One with the dpf catalyst combined, and one without a dpf. Some reviews saying blanking egr valve gave a better response and fuel economy. Some say blanking causes faster dpf clogging, even if you can escape the warning lights.
I called my local Peugeot dealer and he said it either will, or it won't have a dpf! Great help. Just that I will get a warning light if the eloy needs topping up.
It is a 2010 1.6 hdi 90.
I don't really want to go get it remapped fully as I am not sure how long I am keeping it for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Enter your VIN here and it should tell you whether or not you have a particulate filter DPF

https://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/peugeot/vin_check
Awesome mate. Thankyou very much. I tried loads of sites to put in my VIN before I posted but couldn't find one that gave as much info as yours.
It quotes "without particle filter" which is what I was hoping for.
I guess I will blank the egr off and see what happens then.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Awesome mate. Thankyou very much. I tried loads of sites to put in my VIN before I posted but couldn't find one that gave as much info as yours.
It quotes "without particle filter" which is what I was hoping for.
I guess I will blank the egr off and see what happens then.
Thanks again.
You're welcome mate :thumb:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Why blank it off?. I doubt you'll notice any gains in performance or economy. It was put there for a reason, to inhibit formation of NO2, a toxic polluting gas.

Roger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why blank it off?. I doubt you'll notice any gains in performance or economy. It was put there for a reason, to inhibit formation of NO2, a toxic polluting gas.

Roger.
I can't help but feel I have already answered your question in my original post. I have seen lots of reviews stating better performance, better fuel economy without affecting emissions. You are saying the opposite but I have already done it now.
I have decided to run it for a couple of tanks of fuel myself to make my own opinion. If i don't find any significant benefit, i will remove it again. I haven't noticed any difference in driving so far, but then I am a very steady driver anyway. I got 41.7mpg out of my last tank of fuel. I guess I will have to wait 650 miles to see what I get out of this one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why blank it off?. I doubt you'll notice any gains in performance or economy. It was put there for a reason, to inhibit the formation of NO2, a toxic polluting gas.

Roger.

Nobody does it for performance/economy (silly gains), it is a big misconception of what blanking of EGR is about.
Oil vapour mixed with exhaust soot reintroduced, (after cooling) to an air intake... yeah, very good idea. Haven't you come across carbon buildup in the intake manifold, intake manifold sensors ruined, stuck rings... etc...

Recirculation cost on average 3% reduction in performance/economy... guess what whatever you losing you will compensate by pressing the pedal harder... NET ECONOMY OF EGR in NULL.... (it's not my opinion, there is an EPA study behind).
My opinion is: the net economy is negative, given how much implementation of EGR shorts on average life span of engine, so new needs to be built at great pollution expense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I blanked it off and didn't really notice any difference other than the engine management light coming on. It still drove ok so thought I would run it like that for a tank of fuel and see if it did have an effect on fuel consumption. I couldn't tell if there was any increase in performance as I drive like a wet lettuce anyway. After 100 miles or so it went into limp mode so I whipped the blanking plate back out.
So a lot of you can say I told you so. But if I knew which to believe and who not to, I would probs be a lot better off than I am.
All I can say is, in my experience, it was a total waste of time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, its almost always the case, ENGINE LIGHT on the dashboard, an extra flow of "air" is expected by ECU but there is none, hence the problem. Easy to cheat if someone really likes to play, or go for an inline ready-made connector.

Anyway, if one is crazy with mechanical longevity of the engine, should consider. Its well-proven beyond any doubt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts