Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 406 2002 wagon and both tires back is uneven worn. Both tires is more worn on the inside then outside, both tires has almost identical worn.

What can these be?

Thank you for using your time reading these.

·
3,194 Posts
Hi..have the tyres been on the rear from new?If they have been swopped from the front that has been out of track and have slight wear on the inside the tyre will show that wear as they wear down...if not check all the suspention bushes/shockabsorbers..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi..have the tyres been on the rear from new?If they have been swopped from the front that has been out of track and have slight wear on the inside the tyre will show that wear as they wear down...if not check all the suspention bushes/shockabsorbers..
They have been front also, but the winter tires I took of on the new year was totally wear out on the inside.....

Please see attached part drawings, what parts is typical the problem on these cars ? the car has been driven for 180.000km.

The item 06 part number 517839 was replaced on both side last year for information.

What is the best way to checking bushes/shock absorbances looking for looseness, by pushing them back and forth with a crowbar?

Full size pictures is located here:
http://temp.dynamitt.net/div/Car/

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Yes you need to align the rear end properly after replacing them so your problem is simply due to not resetting them correctly the inner end is on a special bolt with a washer that is offcentre to adjust it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes you need to align the rear end properly after replacing them so your problem is simply due to not resetting them correctly the inner end is on a special bolt with a washer that is offcentre to adjust it
ahh...
Please take a look at these photo:
http://temp.dynamitt.net/div/Car/Capture.JPG

So the bolt going through the end with the red circle is a adjustment bolt?

Is these something you can do by your self, or you need special adjustment tools to measure the angel when you adjust?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You need someone with 4 wheel alignment equipment and the relevant info to set them correct i just paint them before removal and refit in same position and they are usually ok but if you did not know they adjust you would not know to do that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You need someone with 4 wheel alignment equipment and the relevant info to set them correct i just paint them before removal and refit in same position and they are usually ok but if you did not know they adjust you would not know to do that.
Thank you for your information, check around for a good 4 wheel alignment test / adjustment in the area then.

·
Registered
44 Posts
- rear suspension- its all about adjustment on the 406

...Yep, looking at the exchanges you either have worn or badly set top links , there are two, one each side running from near centre of the car (under the floor) directly outwards to the top of the hub carriers/rear suspension assembly at each wheel.

THE IN-BOARD ATTACHMENT IS ON SLOTTED HOLES ALLOWING IT TO BE SET IN A POSITION TO GIVE THE RIGHT CAMBER ANGLE (LEAN IN OF WHEEL).

If the links are worn, camber angle is out and so too if someone puts in new parts without reseting alignment afterwards at a garage. I recall a manual which said put the new parts in same place as the old ones (by marking) which is a joke.....

In sort a good tyre garage with rear alignment tools should reset all for £45 max.

Hope this helps - i had my car done.

New links are dead cheap

1 - 16 of 16 Posts