Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am considering changing the timing belt myself on my 1.6 16v.

Is this one below suitable even though it says 1.4? Is there a difference between the 1.4 and 1.6 engine?

Also has anyone got a very clear guide with photos of how to tension the pulleys in the correct sequence after fitting the new belt? The tensioner pulleys appear to a a metal guide that you line up. I am assuming this pre-tensions the pulley to the correct setting without having to measure it.

https://www.toolstoday.co.uk/sealey-petrol-engine-setting-locking-kit-tu3-et3-1-4-8v-16v-citroen-peugeot-belt-drive

kit with just pins (I believe the flywheel hole is difficult to access so maybe the curved pin above is more suited)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-307-1-6-Flyweel-Fly-Wheel-Camshaft-Crankshaft-Locking-Timing-Pin-Tool-/251045796773?hash=item3a737edba5:g:dLUAAOSwI-BWFnbr

·
Registered
453 Posts
I use bolts of different lengths/sizes usually 10mm and 13mm bolts - longish ones and mark everything up with white paint just in case one falls out which hasn't happened in 30+ years but theres always a 1st time :thumb:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I use bolts of different lengths/sizes usually 10mm and 13mm bolts - longish ones and mark everything up with white paint just in case one falls out which hasn't happened in 30+ years but theres always a 1st time :thumb:
Yes I might just pick up and assortment of bolts. Or even allen keys (8mm) ??

What is not clear is the location of the flywheel pin hole. Is this difficult to acces? Can I use a straight bolt? How long does it need to be?
Some said they have used drill bits.

I am looking at these steps and getting them right in my mind.
(my old alfa boxer was a piece of cake compared to this, clearly marked timing marks, 2 belts, 30 minute job)

Installation

NOTE: Check tensioner pulley, guide pulley and water pump for smooth operation. Replace if necessary.

Align tensioner pulley pointer [8] with position [11] .NOTE: DO NOT turn tensioner pulley.
Insert 3 mm pin [12] .
Ensure timing pins located correctly [5] & [6] .
Fit timing belt. Mark on belt should be aligned with mark on crankshaft [13] .
Secure belt to crankshaft sprocket with retaining clip. Tool No.(-).0132AK [14] .
Fit timing belt to guide pulley.
Fit timing belt to camshaft sprocket CA1 then CA2.NOTE: Ensure belt is taut between sprockets on non-tensioned side.
Fit timing belt to water pump sprocket and tensioner pulley.
Remove retaining clip from timing belt [14] .
Remove pin [12] from tensioner pulley.
Turn tensioner pulley anti-clockwise until pointer [8] reaches maximum position [15] and then turn tensioner pulley clockwise until pointer moves back 2 mm. Use Allen key [10] .
Tighten tensioner pulley bolt to 22 Nm [7] .
Ensure marks on belt aligned with marks on sprockets [16] .
Remove timing pins [5] & [6] .
Turn crankshaft four turns clockwise to setting position.NOTE: DO NOT allow crankshaft to turn anti-clockwise.
Insert timing pins [5] & [6] .
Slacken tensioner pulley bolt [7] .
Turn tensioner pulley slowly clockwise until pointer [8] aligns with position [17] . Use Allen key [10] .NOTE: DO NOT allow tensioner to return to position shown [9] .
Tighten tensioner pulley bolt to 22 Nm [7] .
Turn crankshaft two turns clockwise.
Insert timing pins [5] & [6] .
Check pointer [8] aligned with position [17] ±2 mm. If incorrect, repeat above operations.
Install components in reverse order of removal.
Tighten crankshaft pulley bolts [1] . Tightening torque: 25 Nm.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Here's something I wrote a few months ago may be of help:-

Checked my Haynes manual 1.4 16v inlet pin size is 5mm and located at 5 o'clock, exhaust is 8mm and located at 7 o'clock, 1.6 16v is inlet pin size not sure 8mm ?? and located at 7 o'clock and exhaust is also 8mm located at 7-8 o'clock

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I used drill bits & allen keys. The crank locking pin was behind the starter motor which I removed for easy access. This was on a 2.0 hdi 90.

The crank locking pin on a petrol 307cc was at the back of the engine and a bit more awkward to get to.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Still not sure if I'm going to tackle it myself.

Went to inspect the belt today and couldn't get in!!

What size are those recessed hex bolts holding the cover on?

Maybe 5.5mm or 6mm?

I will need a specific long reach socket to get into the recessed hole in the plastic housing and not sure what size to order (maybe have to buy a whole set)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 307 went into the garage today for a timing belt/pulley/water pump change.

They did an excellent job. Full flush of coolant etc. Couple of free gifts for xmas also.

220 pounds with a 2 year warranty. INA parts.

Old pump had started to leak just very slightly but belt (gates) visually looked excellent despite being 10 year old.

Not bad at all.
They said the clutch was fine and tappety noise at start up is quite normal for these engines!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mines a 16v.
Sorry I can't see where that hole is. Where abouts on the block?
Thanks

Had a look around the plastic cap there and it's impossible to access due to the filter housing.
There must be another locking hole.
on a 1.6L petrol, the flywheel locking hole is accessed from behind the oil filter housing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts