Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi two months ago I had my timing belt changed at 86k miles. There was a whirring noise so the mechanic retensioned the belt and the car was fine. I've recently noticed a slight knocking noise which appears to be coming from the camshaft pulley side of the engine, I'm not sure if its from the valves or the pulley itself, and there is also a slight whirring noise which has appeared (the whirring I only hear with the bonnet up). The knocking is only noticable when idling. The car drives fine and has done 2k miles since the belt was changed.

Would appreciate any advice on this before I go back to the mechanic
thanks in advance

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi two months ago I had my timing belt changed at 86k miles. There was a whirring noise so the mechanic retensioned the belt and the car was fine. I've recently noticed a slight knocking noise which appears to be coming from the camshaft pulley side of the engine, I'm not sure if its from the valves or the pulley itself, and there is also a slight whirring noise which has appeared (the whirring I only hear with the bonnet up). The knocking is only noticable when idling. The car drives fine and has done 2k miles since the belt was changed.

Would appreciate any advice on this before I go back to the mechanic
thanks in advance
What car and engine is fitted to your car?
some 2.0 1.6 and 1.4hdi units have dual mass crankshaft pulley which do fail and one of the tell tail signs is knocking which can be heard from camshaft. [mine sounded like a tractor] Whirring noise could be a spring trying to exit dual mass pulley. If thats what it is, be cerfull as that can rub thru timing belt cover and damage timing belt. I was lucky on mine as it only damaged the casing and imbeded it's self around alternator belt tensioner

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the belt and pulleys were all changed (hutchinson timing belt kit from gsf car parts)

its a 2.0hdi sw 53plate

cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
the belt and pulleys were all changed (hutchinson timing belt kit from gsf car parts)

its a 2.0hdi sw 53plate

cheers
The crankshaft pulley does not come in timing belt kit it's a separate part. You can see it at bottom of engine and alternator belt runs thru it. Put this number in fleebay to give you an idea what it looks like 300795045194 this is for ilustration only. It might not even be your problem but it's worth checking.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for info, i'm a bit confused about where the spring you mention is on the pulley? always thought the crankshaft pulley was a solid pulley?
cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
thanks for info, i'm a bit confused about where the spring you mention is on the pulley? always thought the crankshaft pulley was a solid pulley?
cheers
When you look at the pic inner side of the pulley you see a gap between inner and outer casing spring is inside but as pulley moves about absorbing shocks spring gets pushed out and if you lucky it will fall out. Your pulley might be slightly diffrent tho. Apparently pulley isn't a solid one as new once prevent vibrations especially if you got an air con. I will try to get a pic totomorrow of the one I've replaced just to give you an idea.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've looked at a few pics on internet, and know what you mean now. I'll check this out on weekend. If I cant see anything wrong may be worth removing pulley and running engine without it see if the noise dissappears.

cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've looked at a few pics on internet, and know what you mean now. I'll check this out on weekend. If I cant see anything wrong may be worth removing pulley and running engine without it see if the noise dissappears.

cheers
No need to remove pulley just yet. First remove fan belt/alternator belt this should take load of the pulley. When started top end noise should go. If you grab pulley [DO this with engine OFF] when belt is off twist it in and out and also clock wise and anti clockwise to see if there's a play in a pulley. It shouldn't move unless bit of force is used.
Apparently when pullley goes and alternator belt is on you can see fan belt tensioner bouncing a lot, that is one of the tell tails that pulley is going [little movement is ok]
As for spring trying to part company you might have to take pulley off or look between pulley and timing cover and see if there are any fresh score marks in plastic.[The spring is not your typical coil spring it's a flat pice of spring metal similar to what they used to use in old wind up clocks. If you decide to remove the pulley and start the engine, make sure you put crankshaft bolt back in to hold the timing gear in place and double check that there is no way timing belt is likley to fall off the gears [personaly I would NOT start the engine with crank pulley removed]

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice great stuff.:nod: Just a thought when i switch the engine off or start it, its sometimes shakes, could this be caused by faulty crank pulley?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the advice great stuff.:nod: Just a thought when i switch the engine off or start it, its sometimes shakes, could this be caused by faulty crank pulley?
Shaking is more likley to be lower engine mount getting weak the one at the back. It's hard to advice without seeing it. But if lower mnt is gone you should also feel it when you take foot off accelerator and then back on, gear stick will kick forward and back as well.
You will get a movement with good mnt but it's hardly noticable.

·
5,891 Posts
If you remove Aux belt and test this should eliminate aux-belt rollers & tensioner, Alternator and if fitted air-con clutch. the bottom pulley is easier to check for movement etc with the aux belt removed.

The other possible problem could also be the water pump was this changed with belt (its driven by cam belt)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes water pump and timing belt rollers replaced. Hoping to check this out this afternoon
cheers

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ran the car without drive belt belt today no difference same noise still there.
When I increase the revs tapping noise, also a whine/hum from timing belt area. is it possible the new belt may have stretched so that belt is too slack? could this cause timing to be slightly out?

cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes it is possible the timing belt has streched a little or tensioner got slack. This in turn would alter a timing a fraction. But wheather it's enough to make a tapping noise I don't know. Sorry I'm out of ideas with out being able too see or hear it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Checked this out properly today. took the wheel arch liner out and ran the engine, convinced the noise is from the crank pulley. Will it do any harm to leave for a while till it gets worse?

Also checked the rear mount, this looks ok. Can they sometimes be faulty even though there are no visible signs of rubber cracked or broken? Thinking of replacing it with powerflex one.

cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue, did you ever find out what your problem was?

It's over a year since you posted here, so not expecting too much, but I am experiencing exactly the same issue.

I got my crank pulley changed last week, and I've done about 200 miles since then - everything was going great since then. The reduction in noise since getting the pulley changed is fantastic.

However, on the way home tonight, going 70mph on the motorway, I noticed a whirring sound, which changes in regularity with the revs. When I slowed down, I could noticed a loud top-end noise. The car never exhibited this before getting the pulley changed.

Is there any common mess up that can occur when changing the pulley that would result in top-end knocking. My fear is that they've upset the timing when they made the fix.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
did they change the aux belt. sometimes a new tight belt puts stress on the tensioner. the crank pulley shouldnt affect anything if thats all they did

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Monty and thanks for the reply

Yeah, being as the belt was only £3 or whatever, they recommended fitting a new one. It was dark last night when I checked the car out, so I couldn't see too much, but the tensioner was moving quite vigorously - although no where near as bad as it was when the pulley was knackered.

Since the noise was higher up than the crank pulley, it *could* be the pivot on the belt tensioner, but it sounded like it was behind there, towards the block more; although it's notoriously hard to track down a knocking noise to a precise location.

I dropped it into the garage first thing this morning, so hopefully I'll hear back from them soon about what it was.

I did check out a youtube video where some guy had the crank bearing go on his car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KalB7utqP-E

And mine sounds suspiciously like that...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmmm, phoned that garage and they've confirmed that the noise isn't related to the pulley or the crank and that it's definitely in the top-end, probably worn cam lobe or cam follower. They couldn't obviously provide any sort of quote until it's stripped down and assessed, but said it wasn't gonna be cheap...

...anyone in the Dundee area do homers, or looking for a cheap car to fix?

Looks like it's gonna be the £175 scrap value for the car.

It's a p.i.t.a. that it happens the week after I've replaced the crank pulley and not before...bah...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts