Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the timing belt is meant to last the lifespan of the engine or does it have a maintenance schedule?

I.understand it is a lubricated belt and is more lasting than the normal belt. Dealer can't give me an answer on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
Does anyone know if the timing belt is meant to last the lifespan of the engine or does it have a maintenance schedule?

I.understand it is a lubricated belt and is more lasting than the normal belt. Dealer can't give me an answer on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think it is timing belt. It should be timing chain which should last throughout the lifespan unless any mechanical failure of cause. The timing belt average lifespan would be 100,000 km's.

·
8,215 Posts
No same as latest Ford engine its a normal belt that runs in oil and a long winded job to change as no easy removal covers due to need to contain oil spray/splash

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Probably conforms to the 10 years design life of the modern vehicle.
White goods unfortunately:(........and I love my 130hp version:thumb:

·
Registered
486 Posts
No same as latest Ford engine its a normal belt that runs in oil and a long winded job to change as no easy removal covers due to need to contain oil spray/splash
Interesting, I thought timing belt days are over. Looks like another thing to worry. Do not expect to easy task to replace. :(:(:(

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was told that the timing belt on the 1.6 petrol was a chain by a salesman and that it was also used in BMW. Not sure if that is true?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I was told that the timing belt on the 1.6 petrol was a chain by a salesman and that it was also used in BMW. Not sure if that is true?
It was a BMW/PSA joint venture 'Prince' engine, which apparently had issues with the BMW designed, slightly narrower chain than normal.
It seems Peugeot/Citroen attended to the problem but how, I wonder?.

·
8,215 Posts
Tensioner was the weak point leading to loose chain and the snatching caused the chain to fail. They updated chain and tensioner on later engines

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: qualar

·
Registered
195 Posts
It was a BMW/PSA joint venture 'Prince' engine, which apparently had issues with the BMW designed, slightly narrower chain than normal.
It seems Peugeot/Citroen attended to the problem but how, I wonder?.
Have the problems with the Prince engine been rectified for the 3008/5008 2017+?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Tensioner was the weak point leading to loose chain and the snatching caused the chain to fail. They updated chain and tensioner on later engines

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I read the first chain was 30% narrower than usual.......any idea if that's still the case?.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts