Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my missus 2.0hdi 8 valve has no history of a cam belt change.

she has a few weeks left on her insurance so gives me time to sort it

few questions:
- is there a specific timing belt kit to buy? peugeot gates and skf all seem to be
the same price?
- does the starter need to be removed to lock the flywheel. is tip ex on the sprockets sufficient or must the flywheel be locked?
- reading on the web seems to mention its hard to tension the belt afterwards on your own? is this true. i have help from someone but there not mechanically minded if a 2nd person is needed
- any tips to make access easier?

·
Registered
91 Posts
yes removal of the starter is required to lock up the flywheel 8mm drill bit or allen key suitable

camshaft the same 8mm again fuel pump not timed just put the belt on.

few guides on u tube step by step u can c everything clearly.

if locking pins available i would always recomend useing them rather than tipex

·
Registered
14,581 Posts
Actually you can do it without removing starter i have a modified junior hacksaw for this purpose :)

Tipex is not sufficient unless you are confident of your abilities

Tensioning the belt is only hard because of access its a bit cramped to turn the tensioner and tighten the tensioner bolt at the same time

·
Registered
91 Posts
when tensioning the belt i have used a bit from my sump bung set with grips on the end handy

were ya saying about not removing the starter 4 the first time u can c it alot better to lock the flywheel

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is there any tips to make access a little easier? how much movement will the engine have with the left engine mount removed

if i locked up the flywheel with an allen key is this sufficient to get the pulley off that restricts the lower cover coming off?

i will try with my compressor but its not massive so may need a breaker bar

·
Registered
91 Posts
wat sort of motor it in i no in the 307 some ppl remove the scuttle pan to make it easier to get to top cover off there a bolt right round the back of it can b arguard to get at

bottom cover if ur allen key strong enough u will b able to loosen the crank bolt

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks all. so with the starter motor removed. theres one hole to lock the flywheel timing?

im going to do the twist test. it says on the longest run of the belt. this seems to be between the camshaft sprocket and the fuel pump is this correct?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also a big issue the crankshaft pulley. what tips are there to get it off.

i have a air gun but only a small one so i think no good for this job. i will try but i need a decent backup. what do you lot do?

i gather locking the flywheel will only snap whats in place with the force?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got all the bits today.

went for the skf kit. only problem is it came with 2 bolts that the instructions dont say what there for. anyone brought this kit before have any idea?

ones a small silver bolt about 8mm and ones a big black bolt with some kind of loctite on the end

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
any tips on getting the crankshaft nut off.

i have invested in a bigger compressor but time will tell if its man enough

i have read on the internet about holding the brake and having it in 5th gear. only issue is access for a breaker bar

·
Registered
14,581 Posts
I jam the breaker bar on the suspension arm then crank it on the starter when they are stubborn.

You could also take the bottom plate off or starter out and jam the ring gear enough to loosen the bolt.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i will try all options thanks

the 2 bolts. one is the crankshaft bolt

the other smaller one is that to lock up the timing? it doesnt fit the tensioners

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi all need some help

cam belt tensioners and water pump all fitted and timed up

i managed to break the top cam belt cover so i need to wait for that.

i have run the engine with the top cover removed. does this stop the belt coming off the sprockets. it seems as the belt is slowly moving across.

the engine is pivoted on my jack so could it be the engines slightly at an angle?

i have removed the self adjuster and the idler pulley and put it back but still the same.

next issue is the crankshaft pulley for the aux belt seems to wobble as such. the belt runs fine and true. i have tighten the nut with my compressor. then put it in 5th gear and jammed the brakes on.

i then tightened the nut as much as i could with a breaker bar.

to be honest i didnt see what it was like before i took it off to compare

any help appreciated

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this is the issue. its right on the edge now. the car runs but its creeping across

ill take the adjuster and idler off tomorrow

funny thing is when i took it apart it seemed to be on the water pump perfect still

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I jam the breaker bar on the suspension arm then crank it on the starter when they are stubborn.

You could also take the bottom plate off or starter out and jam the ring gear enough to loosen the bolt.
thanks for the tip by the way. wedged my breaker bar and spun the starter. the nut came off easily :D

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes it is. i have read on the web that when the crank pulley starts to wobble its failing?

i will take a video for you all to see.

the cam belt takes a while to gradually move across. i will take out the idler and tensioner and match them up to the old ones to make sure :D

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
here we are. seems like the key in the pulley is worn.

as you may be able to see there is a slight lip so this is why its wobbling as its not flush on the crankshaft

do you reckon this affects the very tiny movement in the cam belt?

does the key way on the crankshaft look ok?
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/783/79aotkdnnhktxzgierymsv.mp4

1 - 20 of 41 Posts