Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've just bought a 2004 307 2.0 SE HDi 90 [AC] 5dr, with 112,000 on the clock and no service history at all. Just to clarify is this the one without the FAP/DMF?

It goes without saying that I will be getting the garage to do a timing belt change ASAP but whilst googling this I found some comments referencing changing the bottom pulley at 96,000, because if this goes it can be a big expense. Am I right in thinking this? and how much more of an expense will it be? I'm assuming this will be a lot easier changing the same time as the timing belt?

I also stumbled across someones mentioning changing the Aux belt(is this what I know as the alternator belt?) which can cause problems and a rattling on start up, which I believe my car has, not too sure because it's been a while since I owned a diesel and cant remember if this is normal for diesels.

Thanks in advance for any help, I just want to make sure i'm not having repeat visits to the garage if its gonna be cheaper all in one go

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Whilst doing the Cambelt do the water pump also the Aux belt (alternator belt) not sure with the pulley sure someone will come and answer that for you :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I never realised about the water pump, but just noticed on ebay it comes as a kit with the cambelt for about £70.

Does anyone know if there are any brands to avoid if its cheaper for me to supply the parts?

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I replaced my timing belt & aux belt but didn't bother doing the water pump or bottom pulley as they were both in good condition. Many people change the water pump at the same time as the timing belt because you need to remove the timing belt to replace the pump. Saves having to strip it all down and replacing the belt again should the pump fail soon after replacing the belt.

The 90hp doesn't have a DPF nor a dual mass flywheel.

Gates or SKF kits are good brands. TBH, is it worth scrimping on such an important piece? I'd want the piece of mind that I have a good brand for the timing belt rather than to save a few quid on a cheaper, no name brand and be worrying if I'm going to have the belt snap and cause damage to the engine.

·
5,824 Posts
As above if bearings feel ok on water pump it should be ok. I changed belt on my 307 twice and only changed pump the second time at 170 K as bearings a bit noisy. The genuine kit had a Drayco belt in it and original belt was also Drayco\conti so they cannot be too bad

P

·
0 Posts
There is a chap on ebay who sells the genuine Peugeot cam belt kit. Comes with everything you need. The chap in question works for a Citroen garage in manchester. Highly recommend, sends the parts out quickly and gives you a proper receipt to keep in your book.

If you look on servicebox and get the part number of the kit for your car, he may be able to help you out. This is what I got:

GENUINE CITROEN & PEUGEOT 2.0 HDI TIMING BELT & WATER PUMP KIT | eBay

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
If you find a kit and are unsure of the brand do what I do. I just google for reviews i.e. type into google 'gates timing belt kit review' and you will find lots of pages with reviews by real users.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
There is a chap on ebay who sells the genuine Peugeot cam belt kit. Comes with everything you need. The chap in question works for a Citroen garage in manchester. Highly recommend, sends the parts out quickly and gives you a proper receipt to keep in your book.

If you look on servicebox and get the part number of the kit for your car, he may be able to help you out. This is what I got:

GENUINE CITROEN & PEUGEOT 2.0 HDI TIMING BELT & WATER PUMP KIT | eBay
I got exactly the Same Kit for mine At Spires Peugeot for £89.33 and then the Auxilliary belt at £21.49 OK I have to go and pick it up on wednesday but it is from a main dealers the Citroen dealers do exactly the same price for exact same Kit But if the Main dealer parts are fitted and Warranteed by them who am I to argue It will be a Gates or other well Known brand thats for sure ,,
My car is on 189,000 and I have no Idea when the cambelt was done so its a preemptive measure really but seeing the state of the Aux belt decided it for me that better sooner than later Its being done wednesday next including a Rad flush & New antifreeze before the winter arrives

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bottom pulley

Thanks for all your replies I am now almost ready to go ahead and get the belts changed including the water pump.

I am just unsure of which part the bottom pulley is? I have tried to find it online and I am just overwhelmed by the different ones.

I'm just trying to get a price because the garage I use said "they can see if it needs changing when they do the belt", is this advisable or should I just change it anyway?

Is the bottom pulley what I know as the Crankshaft pulley? or am I in totally the wrong place?

Thanks again

·
5,824 Posts
Bottom Pulley and Crankshaft Pulley are one and the same. You will see when aux belt removed if pulley is failing as the outer ring will move around and/or you will see rubber ring breaking up

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got it done!

Hi all, I finally got my timing belt, water pump, alternator belt and bottom pulley done. Sounds much better on start up which was probably the alternator belt anyway but still wasn't sure on the history of the timing belt.

My receipt from the garage though lists the pulley as front pullley?? and Its not as low down as what I though it would be(the bottom half of my timing belt cover is missing though so could be me, is this an issue I need to resolve?)

I'm just looking for reassurance that I had the correct job done and didn't want to look like a complete moron asking at the garage, I suppose it would be something for them to laugh about at break time. lol.

Thanks in advance for all your help, I did buy the haynes for my car but cant see the full belt diagram, and with half of mine being covered I didn't want ot start messing unnecessarily.

Phoenix76x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply, I now have the issue of finding the bottom part of the cover, I have looked online but there is so many to choose from, and not having The existing part to compare against is making it difficult, any ideas how to find the correct part?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did my original 407 2.0 HDi cambelt, water pump, tensioner and idler at 110 k miles. The mechanic reported that the pump was just starting to leak and that convinced me to always change it because that coolant is slippery enough to generate a problem with the valve timing. The crankshaft pulley on a 406 stdt wounded the engine when it began to break up at 245k miles, so a new one at the last belt change would have been the go.
Have been told Gates is OEM gear.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
the cover is needed. at least you dont need to do the cam belt as such to change it

you undo the aux belt take off front pulley and undo the other timing covers as the 2.0hdi they join together

1 - 15 of 15 Posts