Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Timing advise please - Peugeot 307 RFN 2.0l petrol 2003 EW10

Hi all, just changed the timing belt BUT the old one broke while doing it before I could indicate all the marks so....
Without the belt I manually aligned crank to flange key position and like wise with exhaust and inlet camshafts (cam wheels) and locked with 5mm bolts.

Fitted new idler,tensioner,water pump and belt all torqued and tensioned correctly - rotated manually and doesn't appear there is obvious interference.

See photos below, thanks!

Do I need to confirm tdc on 1 or should I assume crankshaft key has taken care of this for me?

Do I need to remove cam covers to check compression stroke at tdc or would keyed cams have this covered?

Any other checks or recommendations?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
There are 2 versions of this engine some have a floating crank some use a woodruff key timing method is a little different best check what one you have before starting it up as 16 valves are at risk :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
:thumb:Listen to reliable ,this guy knows his stuff,too scared to sort mine by the way gonna try Thursday evening .

·
Registered
168 Posts
:)O and I'm sure I read it was TDc 1 as I mad a mess of mine but yes double triple check, don't end up in the situation I'm in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, the only issue I think is if I have crank 180 deg off. (As there are two rotations of the crank for one rotation of the camshafts)
Is there a quick way to tell?

Just popped inlet valve cover off and looks like lobes are neutral on no.1 cylinder (lhs engine bay looking over bumper) when camshaft pins are aligned as would be expected.
I'm not sure where piston should be be relative to this though I would assume somewhere near tdc?
I'm sure it's really obvious when you've done it before :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The ew10 rfn engine is a 2L petrol (103kw?) Peugeot variant, twin overhead camshafts. (intake in front and exhaust at rear)

The issue is being 100% sure about crank position. With cam bolts installed the locking pin of the crank lines up every second revolution. (Obviously without cam locks in place)

It's determining where the first (No.1) piston should be? when correctly timed when the cam and crank pins are inserted and locked.

Hope that makes sense?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are 2 versions of this engine some have a floating crank some use a woodruff key timing method is a little different best check what one you have before starting it up as 16 valves are at risk :)
Hi, I've loaded some photos, any chance they may help identifying engine and whether or not I'm out with crank by 180? thanks

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Im not sure on your version but on the older GTI6 engine with that type of lower crank pulley the timing pin hole can move !!

I know it sounds crazy but it does I have seen it myself many people fit a 1 piece alloy pulley instead.

On the GTI6 engine the woodruff key points back so sits at 9 oclock and crank is NOT at top dead centre when timed

Check the rear of your engine block flywheel end for a hole to time it using the flywheel it is above the driveshaft as this one cant alter!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not sure on your version but on the older GTI6 engine with that type of lower crank pulley the timing pin hole can move !!

I know it sounds crazy but it does I have seen it myself many people fit a 1 piece alloy pulley instead.

On the GTI6 engine the woodruff key points back so sits at 9 oclock and crank is NOT at top dead centre when timed

Check the rear of your engine block flywheel end for a hole to time it using the flywheel it is above the driveshaft as this one cant alter!
Thank you you are right, when you remove the aux pulley it exposes the flange with the timing hole which can be moved to correct timing by loosening the 22mm bolt holding it on to crank. This seems like a method prone to failure, what's the logic?
It's really frustrating and unusual that cam and crank keys don't align with tdc.
Ok, so I've had a look there is a hole above gearbox exposing top of the torque converter. There are no apparent markings but does have a stamped code on it when rotating crank.
Guess I need to look on starter side of flywheel to see timing point?

I've just discovered (not sure if this is right but will investigate) though googling that 'Peugeot numbers their engine cylinders from the gearbox end, not the Cam belt, Timing Belt or Auxiliary/serpentine belt end.'

I also found this 'The firing order of all Peugeot 4 cylinder engines is the same; 1 3 4 2, #1 plug being next to the clutch end of the engine.'

Damn no wonder it hasn't been making sense, rise and fall of a screwdriver in the wrong cylinder has a lot to do with it, Arghhhhhh. Light bulb moment!

I going to remove both camshaft covers and rotated crank until piston 1 (gearbox end) is at the top of the stroke. The lobes with dual overhead cams have inlet and exhaust pointing at one another during the compression cycle (roughly two o'clock and 10 o'clock positions) according to youtube. (from one of the four stroke animation videos)
I should be able to also check firing order.
Thanks for your help, will let you know what I discover!

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Does not matter if you used 1 or 4 as reference as they go up and down together but as I said it MAY not be timed at TDC I have never had to do 1 with a broken belt only ever belt swaps

No 1 is flywheel end

The hole you want is not on top of gearbox it is in rear of crankcase where the flywheels face is above long driveshaft it is about 20mm in diameter and a pin drops into that and a hole in the driveplate.

The larger one in this listing is the crank one Peuegot Citroen 1.8 2.0 Petrol Engine Cmashaft Flywheel Timing Lock Pin Tool Set | eBay

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks reliable406 your 100% correct. Located flywheel timing hole, took some pics to help others locate.

When bolt hole was located and locked tdc was on cylinder 3 out of interest. There were no obvious points at which cam markings line up or for that matter at the crank. (Pulley end) Though there was a small partially drilled hole on pulley that does line up with locking key point.
I rotated the motor to check valve operation, put it all back together, fired it up and it's running sweetly.
All that's needed is to pin the cams and crankshaft flange plate, put your new timing belt on and it's good to go. Everything else was a check for me as it was the first one I've ever done.

(Note the mirror was needed to see the pin hole in the flywheel - pics should help a lot)

I've put together a guide on how to replace a timing belt here.
http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/engine-53/peugeot-307-2-0l-petrol-timing-belt-replacement-guide-159041/

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi there,

Looks like that picture for the tool in red (5) is what you need if setting torque for the crankshaft bolt. It holds the pulley and stops motor from turning while you apply considerable force to the bolt. (22mm) The other tool is a torque wrench tightening this bolt.

By the way 10 turns was just a way of saying turn motor enough, so belt beds in properly.

Timing hole alignment - read the below guide.

Basically pin crank pulley (1) (your picture) by turning motor clockwise until pin can seat in 'pulley hole and motor casting' they need to line up. Then align cams, then put belt on. If belt is already on check to see if notched cambelt pulleys line up with their timing holes. Pics in guide below.

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/engine-53/peugeot-307-2-0l-petrol-timing-belt-replacement-guide-159041/

Best of luck, take your time and don't brute force anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks very much really appreciate it , a friend gave me access to Autodata and it looks like the set up in the link you gave me .
But it's saying if you do all that and after 10 revolutions the crank hole doesn't line up this tool is needed to move crank so it does
Is the crank Pully not keyed ?
Am I overthinking it ? I have a picture from autodata but not sure if I'm allowed to post it.
Sorry to be a pain I'm new to the forum

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Crank pulley IS NOT KEYED this is why you must follow the instructions painting things is no good you need the pins and the crank outer pulley hole moves leading to many mistakes do not use crank pulley to time only flywheel hole.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not quite sure what you mean by follow instructions?
I really what to be ultra careful here , so if I time up both camshaft holes and the crankshaft hole I can't go wrong ?
Autodata says rotate 10 times and re instate pins if they don't line up use the tool I've mentioned.
Once again sorry to repeat myself .
Thanks guys

·
Registered
21 Posts
On my 307 2L SW there is a keyway on the crankshaft but there is no timing marks to line up with. The keyway should point to +- 8 o'clock position and parallel to to sump joint.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts