Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right here we go again. my 406 2.0hdi (110) estate has suddenly developed a very loud ticking noise, at first i thought it was a sticking tappet. the noise came suddenly about aweek ago and is getting worse. i took it to the garage where i had the cambelt, water pump and bottom pully changed 3000 mile ago. they say its the bottom pully braking up. as anybody else experienced this?. i said that they changed this but all i got was, THEY DON'T LAST FOREVER:mad: . surely they last longer than 3000 mile.

simon.

p.s they want £90 for pulley and £35 to fit it.:nono:

G

·
The 406 HDi uses 2 types of pulleys, and the more expensive (but rarer so called 'Citroen' type) one is over £100.

They do not last forever, but are programmed for replacement with the timing belt, so you've been very sensible.

I think they've fitted a pup, or, more likely, just left the original on there. Swollocks is right - this smells fishier than my home made apple pie!

If the pulley is suspect do not drive the car - they're designed to lock and keep the car emergency-driveavble when they fail, but often the outer seperates entirely and causes carnage in the engine bay.

good luck.

PS, it's a 0.3hr job to replace the pulley, according the the ICME, the industry bible. If they want £35 labour, then their rate must be over £100+ VAT. It's smelly all right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
had a second garage look at it. they recon it is the air con unit (clutches) breaking up, and seeing that the air con don't work, told me not to worry about it.
the noise went when they sprayed some lubricant spray all over the belts, but when i left the garage the niose came back ( load ticking). it does'nt get any worse when the engine is reved up it just sounds bad on tick over.

simon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.