Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just done the timing belt on a 1.6 HDi 2007. I used the pins to lock the crank, cam and pump. I turned the engine 12 times afterwards and rechecked the pins all went in. Oh and the tensioner pointer was still dead center.

I put the covers back on, replaced the engine mount and the bottom pulley with a new bolt at 35nm + 190 but didn't put the fan belt back on. I started her up to hear what sounds like a tappet ticking away like a good one. I have pumped the primer bulb until it has gone firm in case it was air in the injectors but no difference.

Any ideas what I may have done?

The engine did move backward a few degrees when I undid the pulley bolt but not a great deal (20 to 30 degrees) and the compression feels fine by hand. It starts first time but if I have jumped the chain would it even run?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You dont need to pin the pump i doubt its chain related though more likely timing wrong where did you pin the crank

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.

I pinned the crank through the only hole in the crank sprocket (the rest are slots) and I made sure the pin went into the hole in the block rather than to the side of the hole. Likewise the cam was pinned at about 10 o'clock

There is loads of compression when hand cranking so I was confident I had it right but obviously not so.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Im not sure on this as they vary from engine to engine but most newer stuff has a floating crank IE the keyway has movement and the timing can move when tightening the crank bolt not sure about your version of engine though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts