Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a peugeot rcz, or 308cc with the thp 156. probably 2013 onwards. i've heard no end issues with the prince engine but also heard that the notorious timing chain issues were sorted by the 156 model. I should also state I'm looking at a 40k miles or less model. Should I be even touching these engines with a barge pole?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
listen these are not as bad as most people make them out to be; sure there are some lemons out there but a little research on how to treat them and they can prove to be quite reliable. here's my list of dos
1. use good quality oils (full synthetic) doesn't have to be the manufacturer recommended. I use amsoil signature series, liqui-moly(blue bottle one has peugeot/citroen specifications) and any total full synthetic
2. look out for oil leaks and check oil level regularly don't depend on oil level indicator in the instrument cluster readout
3. change oil half or less the recommended service interval I do 10000km or about 6000mmiles
4. drive the hell out of it as often as you can might seem like a strange recommendation but my experience with these engines is that they don't like to spend all the time spluttering around at barely above tick-over
5. if your engine has 2 PCV hoses leading from the valve cover remove the one that goes directly into the intake manifold and block off the ends some engines have already done this ( significantly reduces carbon buildup)

things to look out for
noisy startup for a few seconds could be timing tensioner but with the thp 156 it will most likely be the water pump actuator bearing or water pump bearing itself ( sometimes it sounds like it has a knackered conrod bearing) if the sound returns after warmup. not difficult nor too expensive to rectify if you are a DIYer.

engine sometimes leaks oil from any of 2 caps is the side of the block right above the crankshaft pulley often mistaken by many expert mechanics as a head gasket failure or bad crankshaft seal ( I just clean engine thoroughly of any oil/dirt in that area you have to remove crankshaft pulley use ultra grey silicone over the caps that usually solves this issue) seal under oil filter housing likes to leak (poor quality seal if you ask me they get brittle over time)

carbon buildup on the back of intake valves might eventually be an issue but if you use top quality oils with good detergent properties can be staved off for quite a while I cleaned my valves at over 90,000 kms didn't start having issues but did it for good measure.

·
Registered
61 Posts
oh and you can check out my posts about dealing with high pressure fuel pump issues. forgive my lazy punctuations i'm a bit tired

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
listen these are not as bad as most people make them out to be; sure there are some lemons out there but a little research on how to treat them and they can prove to be quite reliable. here's my list of dos
1. use good quality oils (full synthetic) doesn't have to be the manufacturer recommended. I use amsoil signature series, liqui-moly(blue bottle one has peugeot/citroen specifications) and any total full synthetic
2. look out for oil leaks and check oil level regularly don't depend on oil level indicator in the instrument cluster readout
3. change oil half or less the recommended service interval I do 10000km or about 6000mmiles
4. drive the hell out of it as often as you can might seem like a strange recommendation but my experience with these engines is that they don't like to spend all the time spluttering around at barely above tick-over
5. if your engine has 2 PCV hoses leading from the valve cover remove the one that goes directly into the intake manifold and block off the ends some engines have already done this ( significantly reduces carbon buildup)

things to look out for
noisy startup for a few seconds could be timing tensioner but with the thp 156 it will most likely be the water pump actuator bearing or water pump bearing itself ( sometimes it sounds like it has a knackered conrod bearing) if the sound returns after warmup. not difficult nor too expensive to rectify if you are a DIYer.

engine sometimes leaks oil from any of 2 caps is the side of the block right above the crankshaft pulley often mistaken by many expert mechanics as a head gasket failure or bad crankshaft seal ( I just clean engine thoroughly of any oil/dirt in that area you have to remove crankshaft pulley use ultra grey silicone over the caps that usually solves this issue) seal under oil filter housing likes to leak (poor quality seal if you ask me they get brittle over time)

carbon buildup on the back of intake valves might eventually be an issue but if you use top quality oils with good detergent properties can be staved off for quite a while I cleaned my valves at over 90,000 kms didn't start having issues but did it for good measure.
Great. Thanks for your input. Very informative. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts