Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever tried these places out, if so what are they like??

Need to broaden away from alton towers and these are the only 2 theme parks i can think of!

Or does anyone know anymore?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha should have known i wouldnt get a real answer!

P.S great avatar martin, love that film!

·
Registered
29 Posts
ok serious answer

drayton manor is midlands, geographically it may be ideal for some, there is a fair mix of big white knuckle rides, along with the good old poular rides like a log flume, minature train and a carousel with 'galloping horses' - there is also a fair amount of smaller type rides ( Zamperla fun fair style ) that are 'bolted down' this gives little ones loads to do and go on, add to thatthe sedate cable car ride, mini coasters and also the drop tower....
it all depends what you want,
drayton manor can now boast thomas land so if you have little ones then this may get their vote- there is a stand up coaster, also some big steel track coasters that rival alton towers offerings so there is something for everyone, i took a 5 yr old and a 3 yr old and they had a good time, they obviously could not do the big rides, but i could !!- its a family day out

thorpe park is chertsey ( 10 mins from heathrow) - this is very much a more grown up park ... i would suggest its for familes with kids older than 13... the white knuckle rides and height restrictions dont lend itself to younger kids... the rides including saw, nemesis inferno, also colossus and X are all quickish coaster that will take your breath away..... then there is stealth.... ( this was half of rita at alton, the ride was split into two and the two sections of rides were put into two different parks run by Merlin.... ) stealth is awesome, but it really does leave you speechless....

thorpe park is generally full of groups of teenagers, and queues are big in school holidays.... also as you enter thorpe there are random bag searches for knives and drugs !- maybe this is a problem there ??? - you dont get that at drayton manor so maybe its not a problem there !

somebody joked and said legoland- well why not, there is also chessington world of adventures and also paulton park too, all are good parks, then there is camelot, lightwater valley, and oakwood and plenty of others,

it depends how far you want to travel and how much you want to spend getting in....

hope this helps

(from a theme park nut)

thorpe is busier in my opinion - it certainly was on my last visit - busier than my last trip to drayton manor anyway....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Cheers for the info bricklayer

Thorpe has been on my hitlist for a while, mainly for nemesis inferno (never going to be as good as the original nemesis, but gotta be tried!)

Will have to see if i can organise a trip down there sometime while the bin lids are still in school! (going to have to try this year, altons got a new coaster next year :))

Will still try and give drayton a try, but will have thorpe as my priority i think, at least now i know drayton has the odd white knuckle to keep me going! :thumb:

·
Registered
29 Posts
thorpes new saw ride and the classics like stealth are a must, collosus is a 10 spiral corkscrew coaster and is well worth a ride, if you do the big coasters and like them then there are also a few other rides that look like nothing but are well worth a shot,

one ride ( cant remember its name) has you sat in a ride car on the end of an arm, huge hydraulic arms propel you forward and backward swinging you like a pendulem... nothing amazing about that , but the speed at which you change direction is the mad bit, the Gforce you pull as you accelerate in the opposite direction from which you came is awesome !

again a tip is to use the tesco clubcard points to get cheap entry tickets- you need to sort these before you go as you cant do it on the gate... or if you are flush and a true theme park junkie consider the merlin year long annual pass ticket, this gives you free access for 12 months to all the merlin parks ( legoland, thorpe park, alton towers, chessington world of adventures, warwick castle, sealife centres london eye and others) :nod:

if you do thorpe during school holidays it may be worth getting the coaster fast pass tickets to ensure you get round the big rides in one day...

a whole summer of fun that way and you can go as many times as you like !

i hear there was a major fire on tuesday night at alton which wrecked the cable car station...:nono: sad bit is there were a couple of surropunding rides affected and rita was closed for a day or so afterward for damage inspection
but as you say new coasters are coming soon for alton, thorpe i hear is to get a new 'switchback' style coaster soon and legoland gets a new coaster in 2011 or 2012...

i am a self confessed theme park addict.... so if you want to know anymore or want tips to get the best out of your day then pm me, i tried to pm you but couldn't as i have not made enough posts...i have some pictures too of some of the big rides at thorpe to give you a taste of what to expect !

Bricklayer...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another cable car fire!? its only just been reopened and done up after the last one!! :eek:

you should be able to pm me now you've made 5 posts, bit of a coaster addict myself but dont get on them enough :(

would love to head to the states and try the ones over there, especially top thrill dragster/kingda ka

·
Registered
29 Posts
nope cant pm you until i have made 20 posts....

the parks in the states are the bad boys !- i was in florida in nov and december 08, did the two big steel coasters at sea world, the manta ride is tops, and the other one ( again cant remember its name) claimed to be the biggest, longest tallest coaster in florida...its worth a ride too, but sea world is costly to get in for the day in my opinion.....about £60 if i remember per adult....

we did disney too - and the hotel of horrors is a must with the lift that drops 11 floors in the dark, its a clever ride and something developed entirely by disney and built by their staff...its very clever and the sensation is different !

busch gardens is a must along with universal studios/ islands of adventure if you like steel coasters, the hulk is a good bet....

busch gardens in Tampa have an old style wooden coaster which is very nostalgic and its rides in such a different way to the steel coasters- its worth doing...

i have not yet tried vegas though, there are some rides there i want to try and then there is the six flags parks in th US, again i have yet to try these...

can you pm me ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.