Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm in need of a new car early 2018, something around the £1k mark, and i've been weighing up the 307 HDI 1.6. It seems pretty ideal for me as the fuel consumption is good (I'll be working in the car).

I'd be grateful if a few of you could share your thoughts on the car and its reliability, and in particular any common problems/faults.

Specifically any common faults that I would be able to check for when viewing/test driving.

Thanks very much guys,

John

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I think the 2 litre engine is a better bet, it seems to be more robust.
For £1k you can't expect too much, you ill be buying a car that is getting on in years and will have some miles behind it.
Having said that, 307's normally carry their years well, and if properly looked after can cover many miles without massive repair bills. Don't expect anything in your price range to be trouble free though. 307's are reasonably easy to repair, a good independent garage will mostly be happy to work on them if you don't do your own repairs.

Roger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the 2 litre engine is a better bet, it seems to be more robust.
For £1k you can't expect too much, you ill be buying a car that is getting on in years and will have some miles behind it.
Having said that, 307's normally carry their years well, and if properly looked after can cover many miles without massive repair bills. Don't expect anything in your price range to be trouble free though. 307's are reasonably easy to repair, a good independent garage will mostly be happy to work on them if you don't do your own repairs.

Roger.
Yeah, I forgot to mention I'll be looking to PX my current car so we're probably looking more towards £1500 but I gather that'll be with a lot of miles.

I used to drive a 306 HDI that was still going strong well over 150k miles so I'm hoping to grab a 307 at or around the 100k mark and go from there. I do expect to spend at least another 500 or so over the course of a year on essential services etc like the cambelt, clutch etc.

I'm curious to know if there are any big problems with these cars that I should check for when viewing? Anything that might scream 'no!', ya know?

If I can get a car from 100k and run it to 150k I'll be very happy.

The 2.0 is tempting as I had the 2.0 hdi 306, but the 1.6 does an extra 6mpg with my driving circumstances which does mean quite a lot in the long run.

Cheers for the reply,

John

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
2 litre all the way 1.6 does more mpg but is more prone to issues 2 litre will be more reliable in long term and if you get a 90hp you will get no DPF or dual mass flywheel to worry about basically same as your old 306.

1.6 HDI can be reliable if well serviced and driven properly but if neglected it will give trouble where a neglected 2 litre is still likely to be reliable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's really useful information, thanks...

The 90bhp variant, what year were those made? Or were they made alongside the more powerful option?

John

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
All years generally lower spec variants though.

90 can be a bit slow but with a few tweeks will be just as good as 110 without DPF to worry about but as i say it is basically what your 306 had they were 90s too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All years generally lower spec variants though.

90 can be a bit slow but with a few tweeks will be just as good as 110 without DPF to worry about but as i say it is basically what your 306 had they were 90s too.
*nod* 90bhp would be fine...

Say I opt for a higher spec one, is the DPF really that much of a pita?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
If car is used properly then no but it does need maintained and this is what causes the issue people dont look after them or drive the cars properly.

You also get the dual mass flywheel on more powerful cars and this also fails before the clutch does generally.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've got a 1.6 110 sw se, 155k on it and bar a few niggles and teething troubles it's fine.

It'd been sat about for a while when I bought it, and that's what I blame for the self curing limp mode incident 2 days after I bought it...

Niggles include having to fix the spare wheel winch, fix the rear exhaust heat shield and having to replace 2 tyres in time for MOT.

I did feel a bit of concern for the dpf for a while given all the scare stories about them (and the fact I apparently don't drive it properly...), but I've since decided not to be bothered and if/when it gives trouble I'll bung on a £100 aftermarket unit if flushing doesn't work.

All in all, not bad for a £400 car.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I had the 1.6 110bhp for 4.5 years loved it but i agree with reliable406 you need great maintenance if you even think its not had low ash oil in i would be concerned re the clutch if you thought it ready for replacement be careful unless you can do it yourself i had a pain finding anyone who would do mine

I have just switched for the 3008 1.6 so guess i do like the cars lol though if you could find 2ltr 90 bhp i would go for that probably
Lovely comfy car hope you find a good clean example :thumb:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi, I have owned a 2.0 90 HDi for 2 years now and think it is a great car. I brought it with 300,000Km on the clock and it has now done 338,000 Km. I have changed starter motor and battery, rear brake pads and the front tyres. I have just (today) had an issue with the power steering but I would recommend the car.
Incidently, I found out that my car was a taxi for it's first 2 years. So don't worry about high mileage, service history is more important.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Forgot to mention, I have the dreaded "anti pollution fault" on mine. The emmission levels are ok and planet says it is an EGR fault. I have just brought a blacking plate and going to fit that as soon as the weather is reasonable and I have the time.

But still a great car

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies guys, really useful information.

So can I just verify a few things?

Both the high and low power 1.6 have a dual mass flywheel? Its only the 2.0 90 that has a solid flywheel?

Same with the DPF?

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
If you buy a 1.6hdi make sure it's had services every 12k look for ways to help with turbo failure

Mums was on 150k when traded in it was fine with the injectors tweaked every year oil changed every 6k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
I am sure all the higher power engines have dual mass flywheels its only the 90s that dont get it and on the 1.6 hdi only the low power models have no DPF

I personally have owned all 3 2 litre engines 90 110 and 136
136 is by far best drive BUT it can be problematic.

I have also had a few 1.6 engines and although basically reliable they were not as good as 2 litres 1 had dodgy flywheel and as mentioned above clutch changes are a big job much easier on 2 litres and cheaper to do other had constant annoying surging issues that a lot seem to suffer from.

All had big miles though so mileage is not really a great worry on any of them its servicing thats important.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts