Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im looking at a 407 HDI 2.0, 2009.

I've been through so many cars looking to find the perfect one, considering Mondeo, Passat, Older Passat, Audi, Skoda... This looks to be so far ticking the boxes.

I've been looking on Google trying to find some answers, but it seems a bit hit and miss.

What's the service schedule and timing belt interval for these cars?
What's the real world urban economy like? Hopefully 37?
FAP/DPF Regeneration? Information seems scant out there.... when does a regen actually occur? My daily journey is 10 mile through free flowing city traffic for 40 to 45 minutes - is this likely to be enough to regen? Will it actively regen? And are regens better with the EOLYS fluid? The Passat seems to have some good specs and info for its regens but having trouble finding that for the Pug.

Finally, as music is important to me, I want to fit a native iPod interface, not just an Aux cable. The spec Im looking at is the Sport model with the Sat Nav. But once again, Im finding any real world information, videos and pics about ripping out the existing radio and fitting something aftermarket. I believe the screen is just a screen, while the radio is 1.5DIN not even double DIN, so that's a problem.

Anyone with further information on this?

Thanks
Simon

·
Registered
464 Posts
The following is based on a 2006 407sw 2.0 Hdi - if it's any use to you...

Service interval is 20k
Not sure about timing belt - I should probably check on that heh.
I get around 32mpg but thats with an average speed of 19-20 - my commute is heavily start-stop and only 4 miles.
To regen, IF the car thinks it needs it, requires the car to stay above a certain RPM for a certain length of time - not sure what the numbers are but I doubt any kind of city driving is going to kick it off - on the other hand, never had a problem with mine yet (only had it 6 months tho)

To put a real ipod interface into my car, it'd have to replace the CD changer - but my car has the RD4 stereo with mono display - sound like you are looking at something with the RT3 system so not sure if this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is my concern now, what if you can't maintain those speeds while doing the regen because of stop start? 32mpg stop start with the engine barely up to temperature sounds pretty good going though.

Thanks
Simon

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I have a 58 plate 2.0 hdi. ive never seen mine read below low 50s on the trips. I work on a 10% over read, so even low 50s is actually mid-top 40s. Ive been getting about 700 a tank usually, and give it some beans at least once a tank. Mine gets about 50-50 town and A road use usually. I do try and avoid short trips, if it does get a couple of mile run, I usually make sure to go the long way and get it warm. Im lucky with my job, I work nights so I avoid the morning jams.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blooming nora, Timing Belt intervals reported officially to be 160,000 miles or 10 years, which ever comes sooner.

Course, I think you'd be barking to leave it over probably 80k - 100k and 5 miles.

I so prefer chain engines. But.

Good work Peugeot!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a 56 reg, 407 2.0 HDI SE. Had it 2 years and I have clocked up 54k miles in that time. Now on 109k. I get approx 51 miles per gallon (so the comp says), but it's all motorway cruising.

Not has a cam belt change yet, as the garage said at 118k, but due a service next month so will change it then.

Only issues I have had was a leaking fuel injector which got changed under the garage warranty (so have a check for that). I find it annoying that I don't have a cup holder (it was missing when I bought it but didn't notice as it's under a flap in the centre console). Recently had a water leak in the boot, due to a loose cable bung and so the rear parking sensor box got wet, so again check for that. The only other issue I have is the clutch slips when driving hard in 4th-6th i.e. foot down to overtake. Clutch not going as been doing it for nearly 2 years, it's due to oil mist contamination from a leaking seal. So again check for that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I won't be buying a 407. Im quite a tall chap, but I felt very squashed inside the 407. The steering wheel comes out, past my knees thankfully, but then I just cannot see the front of the bonnet. :-(

Just couldn't get comfortable.

Thank you so far for all your advice - much friendlier than that other forum who wanted me to become a paying member just to ask what the real world MPG is - Hah. Why would I pay to join a forum to ask generic questions about a car I haven't yet bought?

Thanks all.

Simon

C

·
0 Posts
Looks like I won't be buying a 407. Im quite a tall chap, but I felt very squashed inside the 407. The steering wheel comes out, past my knees thankfully, but then I just cannot see the front of the bonnet. :-(

Odd that as I aren't a small bloke and find the 407 one of the comfiest cars I've driven. Lots of room and on long drives I never get out feeling tired.

Best of luck with your search.

·
Registered
182 Posts

Thank you so far for all your advice - much friendlier than that other forum who wanted me to become a paying member just to ask what the real world MPG is - Hah. Why would I pay to join a forum to ask generic questions about a car I haven't yet bought?

Thanks all.

Simon
Bit strange. You can change the reach on the steering column, the height of the seats. Just trial and error and you will get use to it. I'm 6 foot and it's nice and comfortable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I felt like I was quarter of a mile from the windscreen and then half a mile from the front bumper and just couldn't see. The steering wheel was interfering with my knees, couldn't move it up, but I could move the wheel back. But which time I started feeling a bit trapped.

Did everything I could to move the seat up and down, forwards and backwards, but I just found myself feeling like I was sitting in the back seat and I just couldn't get comfortable at all.

Didn't help that the garage wouldn't let me do a test drive. He said all cars drive roughly the same and we don't like timewasters!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I doubt it's possible for anyone to see the front of the front bumper from the driver's seat!

It certainly took me ages to get comfortable after 8 years of driving a 406.
However, there does seem to be a very large range of movement in the seat and steering wheel (with the electric seats at least).
I still think the pedals are too far into the car (either that or my arms are too short).
It is a slightly unconventional place to sit, but I like it.

I think an 09 plate with sat nav will have an RT5 system; you can read about that in the manual.

On regens: the idea is that most of the time the system can keep itself clean. However, there are levels of assistance that the car can provide if the filter starts to get blocked, and it's these assisted regens that you may notice. When I first got mine I copped a couple of really bad regens where the car was down on power and the MPG plummeted. Of course, it had been on short test drives from the dealer for a couple of months. After it got this out of its system it's been much better behaved and I haven't noticed a regen for months (and I'm pretty obsessive about MPG). Diagnostics shows that it regens about every 300 miles, but it obviously isn't using full assistance. My daily commute is 10 miles each way consisting of town, ringroad, then A-road at 50 (25 behind an old person in a small Japanese car more likely than not), 30, national, 40, 50, 30 with lights and queuing, then 40. Plus I do one or two fast motorway runs each month (which is what the car is really for).
I average about 40 on the commute, and 47 so far overall. You should do better with a 2.0 (140) than my 2.2 (180).

The fuel tank is dosed with a fixed amount of eolys every time the fuel cap is removed. Therefore if you keep putting a tenner's worth in then it'll run out quick. At 7 years old and 75k mine has enough left for me to visit the petrol station about 250 times.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I doubt it's possible for anyone to see the front of the front bumper from the driver's seat!

It certainly took me ages to get comfortable after 8 years of driving a 406.
However, there does seem to be a very large range of movement in the seat and steering wheel (with the electric seats at least).
I still think the pedals are too far into the car (either that or my arms are too short).
It is a slightly unconventional place to sit, but I like it.
That all sounds about right, the pedals are too far away from the floor so all everything else comes further back, the seat, the steering wheel. I'm 5'8'' and there is virtually no room behind me, children only due to the driving position, but once you get it right, it's comfy.

37 is about right, I'm finally getting decent mpg out of mine, 41 average, about 48 on the motorway.

Shame you didn't like it, you'd find it a nice car to own and drive :thumb:

·
Registered
134 Posts

Thanks all.

Simon
I'm 6"3' and I fit in fine

·
Registered
134 Posts
Didn't help that the garage wouldn't let me do a test drive. He said all cars drive roughly the same and we don't like timewasters!
My god, I would have told them exactly what I thought of them, what a bunch of arseholes

Name and shame !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My god, I would have told them exactly what I thought of them, what a bunch of arseholes

Name and shame !
TCS Used Car Supermarket (not as big as it sounds) in Balsall Common near Solihull. Never ever come across anyone like that. Lost himself a sale as well. I probably would have bought that Peugeot even if I wasn't comfortable because it was a good price and good spec.

Oh well.

The cheek to tell me all cars drive the same.

I turned down a Diesel Avensis after a test drive as it was idling high after a run, a Petrol Avensis for idling high at 2000rpm at cold and had a spongy clutch, turned down a Prius for not having enough oomph in 0-30 but great above that but felt a bit wobbly on the road, turned down an Octavia 1.6 for feeling very underpowered, no torque.

So far I've only really liked the MOndeo 2.0 TDCI or Passat 2.0 CR.

Really tempted for the Passat, but wouldn't touch the PD, which puts me in the 2008+ category and £6k minimum - more like £8k for a decent Passat. Gah. Octavia 2.0 FSI is another possibility. Even if that has no torque, it might be able to pull a bit better with 150bhp, but being GDI, it'll have gummy carbon deposits.

At the end of my tether with cars.

My QG18De gives me 115bhp, 177g CO2, it's a long stroke engine (means lots of low rev torque), cruises happily at 80mph, and really does give me 42mpg on the motorway, 29mpg round town with zero problems. 11s 0-60.

It's a Nissan Primera P11-144 2001. Can anyone think of another car of a similar size and similar specs with minimum 29mpg Urban? I just cannot find anything except for maybe a Petrol 1.8 Avensis, 1.8 Vauxhall Vectra, Octavia 2.0 (1.6 is awful) or a Qashcai 1.6 Petrol - quite frankly that's too expensive. Budget £4000.

I have a pre-approved loan of £8k, but I'd rather not go over £4k without some serious saving on fuel.

1.6 306 looks ideal. But prefer a bigger car than the 306. Back to the drawing board.

Thanks
Simon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm 6"3' and I fit in fine
People seem to be able to get into all sorts of cars that I just can't get on with. Toyota Avensis for example, there's a big bit of plastic above the drivers footwell. So where as my Nissan the dash comes down, there's nothing behind it, so my big feet work well there.

But the Avensis, just doesn't work. I've said no to BMW as the pedals are too close together! Honda Civic is also too overwhelming in the dash board area. Im preferring cars where Im more up close to the action. Mondeo is OK, but bulky interior, Passat and Octavia so far a nice comfortable fit for me. I haven't quite worked out why Im so finicky and how people can get into other cars so easily.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I do have disproportionately long arms and legs but smallish feet (size 10) so I need the seat back and a good reach on the wheel which the 407 does well.

Even then I don't have the seat all the way back, and I can still toe and heel it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Amazing the shapes and sizes people come in, I'm 5'8'' and have the seat on the lowest setting, 3 clicks from the back of the runner, steering wheel on the lowest rake and the reach about halfway. It's a nice relaxing driving position for the swathes of m'way I now have to do (125 miles a day :eek:) and with the armrest in the raised position supports both my hands on the wheel, something I'm guilty of not doing when the armrest is not present! If I ever have to drive another car, it takes time to settle back in the 407, for the first few mins it feels like I'm perched on the toilet! I've never had so much trouble getting the position comfy in a car (spent 30 mins after buying it getting it just so), but it is worth it, it's very comfy in it's own right.

My £4k would buy me a Saab 9-3, I'd have to have a 2.0T, but with the 1.8 n/a Vectra engine, where your 29mpg would be seen; regrettably, the turbo Saabs are not great on the go juice, hence me having another diesel Pug to soak the miles.

Good luck :thumb:

·
12,141 Posts
Odd that as I aren't a small bloke and find the 407 one of the comfiest cars I've driven. Lots of room and on long drives I never get out feeling tired.
Same here, 6 foot 4 and found it to be a perfect fit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts