Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, still having problems with my 307 sw 2.0 hdi 110 52 reg.

After getting the clutch done and turbo pipe replaced. I thought my troubles were over. How wrong was I!
I now have a problem which could be turbo related.

First thing in a morning, it starts fine, but has no power, drives at 10-20 mph, only revs to 2000 and chucks out lots of white smoke. (not condensation/water) After revving the car for a few mins or driving at 10 mph for a few mins, it seems to clear it's 'problem' and then drives fine.
We thought it might be fuel related but mechanic doesn't think so.
Popped into Peugeot this morning and booked it in for 1st Sept. They think it could be the turbo.
Does anyone know if it could be that? I'm just wondering why it would only do it first thing in the morning and not all the time.
There are no warning lights on dash.
Car has done 115000 miles.

I do have a very short video to show the smoke but don't know if I can post it on here.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Hi everyone, still having problems with my 307 sw 2.0 hdi 110 52 reg.

After getting the clutch done and turbo pipe replaced. I thought my troubles were over. How wrong was I!
I now have a problem which could be turbo related.

First thing in a morning, it starts fine, but has no power, drives at 10-20 mph, only revs to 2000 and chucks out lots of white smoke. (not condensation/water) After revving the car for a few mins or driving at 10 mph for a few mins, it seems to clear it's 'problem' and then drives fine.
We thought it might be fuel related but mechanic doesn't think so.
Popped into Peugeot this morning and booked it in for 1st Sept. They think it could be the turbo.
Does anyone know if it could be that? I'm just wondering why it would only do it first thing in the morning and not all the time.
There are no warning lights on dash.
Car has done 115000 miles.

I do have a very short video to show the smoke but don't know if I can post it on here.

Thanks in advance
sounds like either turbo or valve stem seals as white smoke = burning engine oil, have you checked engine oil level to see if its above max

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I thought White smoke was excess fuel Blue/black for oil still points to the turbo what with the lack of grunt Have the inlet pipes been checked for splits ?

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
I would check the vacuum pipes if it is a vacuum type turbo as this is by far the most common reason for lack of oomph BUT it would not explain the smoke

Smoke is more likely unburnt fuel might be down to a bad injector leaking fuel overnight meaning fuel is lying in the piston and takes a bit of time to burn off fully why does the mechanic think the fuelling is fine ?

Don't let Peugeot change the turbo it will cost more than the car is worth and is unlikely to be the problem unless the seals are leaking but from your description I do not think its that

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im not very experienced with oilburners, but white smoke i would interpret as water, based on that: Youre not a farmer, are you?

Theory 1. Youre a farmer or you know a farmer and fill diesel out of a private farm diesel tank used by traktors and farm equippment. Those tanks are much likely to have lots of water condensed inside them, not likely tho since that would bring the car to a complete halt more likely. Drain the fuelfilter and change the filter. Fill tank with fresh fuel.

I dont know if your turbo is oil or oil/water cooled, if its also watercooled you will notice when the bearing is leaking by a permanent white cloud out of the exhaust.

Headgasket leaking water into the cylinder, check the coolant level, check for bubbles with the cap off and engine running.

If its not consistent, might just have been damp weather, making some sensor go haywire and causing the car into limp home or just go haywire without any faults recorded. Damp air caused the smoke.

Black:Fuel
Blueish/black:eek:il
White:water

Those are my ideas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
And white smoke is a usual sign of unburnt Derv Whereas too much water = Hydraulic lock and bent con rods

Yes, diesel engines are well known for their charachteristic white smoke coming out of the exhaust... Thats irony btw...

If you flood the combustion chamber with liquid then yes, you can bend the conrods, but that has obviously not happend here so why are you egen bringing that up. What happens if you have a smaller leak and take info fact water to steam has a ratio of 1:17K

Also consider the engine swallows quite a bit of air, high humidity can be a cause.

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
Unless the OP comes back into the fold there is no point in continuing to argue :)

Bent rods ONLY happen if you suck up lots of water OR sometimes if engine runs away and overrevving seizes the pistons not what happened here.

Engines burning a small amount of water IE head gasket failure will make a little smoke if it has antifreeze but hardly any smoke if its plain water but it will not explain the lack of revs when cold.

Smoke and lack of revs can only really be a fuel issue either fuel itself or lack of airflow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies.

Ok, so my mechanic doesn't think it's fuel because it runs fine after the first few minutes. He checked all the pipes etc and couldn't find anything.

When I popped in to Peugeot, the guy said that thick white smoke was turbo related and suggested that the seals might be knackered.

With the lack of power problem I had a few weeks back, all the vacuum pipes etc were checked, it turned out to be the turbo hose down the back of the engine which had a split.

I'm not a farmer and it only has diesel from petrol stations put in it.

The only way I can describe the problem, is this - It starts first time. When you sit at a junction etc you can feel a slight judder.

When I first drive off, it just goes really slow and doesn't really go above 10 mph, sort of like fuel isn't getting through.

If I don't try to force it to go, and just creep along, it doesn't smoke too bad and then eventually after about 2-3 miles, it's like a switch is flicked and it just starts to drive fine. It stays like that all day. Seems to be when the temp gets to about 70 it comes back to life.

It has done this now every day for the last 5 days, when at first it was intermittent.

If I give it a lot of revs, it really judders and to me feels like a fuel shortage, but it doesn't stall and it chucks out lots of white smoke. but does puff out a black cloud first.

The guys at my local Peugeot know I don't want to spend a lot on it cause it's not worth it and it's already cost me quite a bit so they are just taking a look at it before doing anything.

That's really as good as I can explain it. I know it may seem pointless bothering you knowledgeable people, when it is book in for the 1st Sept, but I'd rather not take it if it's just going to cost me more money for them to tell me the turbo is knackered.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I didn't think it would just 'not work' in the morning!! I'm not convinced it's the turbo, but then I don't have a clue really.

NEW ISSUE - I've just nipped out and it did the same thing. It's been stood since I got back this morning, so engine was cold.

But this time it's decided to throw something else at me! I got a few meters down the road (crawling at 10 mph) and the car beeped at me, the EML came on and 'Antipollution fault' appeared. It carried on crawling until the temp hit 70 and then it just drove fine. Even with the EML Antipollution fault.

When I got to where I was going, I parked up for about 20 mins, engine off. Went back to car, started it and EML /Antipollution came back on, but it drove absolutely fine.

This I find very confusing as It's not got the DPF. Well it's not supposed to have it. When I got the car, my mechanic had a look at it up on the ramps and he said the filter had been removed. The exhaust has been opened up and there was definitely no filter in their.

Completely confused :confused:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I would find a forum member Local to you with Planet you will be surprised at what an Enthusiast can find as opposed to a professional :D

go here
http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/general-discussion-2/need-20-posts-before-pm-13646/

post anything you wish until you reach 20 posts

then go here
http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/maintenance-9/diagnostic-peugeot-planet-map-7734/
and search the Planet map for forum users in your area

then PM the nearest planet guru for a diagnostic you are in the area of at least 2 Knowledgable forum members to my Knowledge for pocket money prices you will get an honest Diagnostics and the Questions can be asked on here you know it makes sense

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
Anti pollution faults are not JUST dpf related it comes on for any fault likely to increase pollution as for DPF removal if it has been done properly then its fine if it has not then it could be part of the problem but again doubtfull it would cause your symptoms.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Have you checked the fuel lines for any leaks. I had a "friend" who sometimes when he went to the auctions used to put a tiny hole in the fuel line so it started smoking its brains out when it went through the ring due to pulling air in :nono:!!
personally I think its leaking air in when stood for a while as it only seems to happen when stood for while

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fuel lines are supposed to be ok. My mechanic couldn't find anything. A few weeks back it did have a busted fuel pipe and I was towed to a garage, they repaired it but after that it did have the odd drip of fuel hanging off the pipes. I keep checking under the car to see if it has any drips and it all looks ok. But as you say, a tiny hole would be really hard to find.
I have contacted Steve18gls, hopefully he will see my message and contact me about it.

I do think it is fuel related, either a leak or an injector maybe. It's just been one thing after the other with this car!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts