Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.0 hdi 90bhp.

i swapped the thermostat housing over as the thermostat part was broken

all fitted fine but im getting a small leak from where the housing pushes into the pipe at the back. the rubber seal was all there and its all nice and secure

i just cant stop it. its only a slow drip when running but mostly annoying as it covers the whole underneath of the engine in coolant when driving for a while

i cant see how it can be improved as its some kind of slip joint. has anyone come across this. if so whats a good solution.

i dont really fancy emptying the coolant and taking the whole housing off as i have to put it back together and fill it up with coolant to see if its still leaking

·
11,731 Posts
Always fit a new gasket when replacing a part. The old one will have been warped to the shape of the old part that was sat on it.

C

·
0 Posts
Sorry Monty I have to agree with Gibbo you need a new gasket / rubber seal. I find when refitting these a little Vaseline or washing up liquid on the seal just helps minimise the risk of movement / damage to the seal when refitting the parts as well.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bloody hell haha. i didnt get a new gasket so just kept with the old one.

do you think filling the whole gap up with instant gasket will work. my missus needs to car and i cant strip it for about a month

the pipe was so hard to push in as well. not the best angle at all :(

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
Its not always necessary to replace the gasket but the rubber seal on the pipe needs replaced if it has swelled as it will do as you have found and not seal.

Problem is they may not sell the seal without the rear pipe so you end up buying more than you need we bought a bunch of seals in a plastic box for this purpose as they do not sell the seals for the heater pipes either and want you to buy the whole pipe just for the seals !!

Lube the housing a little before pushing it on the seal.

Try ebay for seals before stripping it again.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi all.

had a go with instant gasket with no luck.

where can i get the gasket/rubber seal on its own?

what do i have to lube. just the inside of the housing before i push it on?

i gather its best to fit the seal to the metal pipe and slide the housing over?

would it be worth putting a small bit of instant gasket on the inside of the seal to make sure it doesnt move when sliding it in?

the rubber seal must sit at the top of the metal pipe and must not slide down?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ordered number 10. finger crossed its the right one.

the seal must stay at the top of the metal pipe and not slide down i gather?

is fairy up liquid ok to lube inside the housing and on the seal

would a tiny blob of instant gasket on the metal pipe be ok to try and minimise movement in the seal when i push the housing on

C

·
0 Posts
I always use wash up liquid or vaseline but only a little bit otherwise you could end up with bubbles in your coolant :lol: & In the past I have used a little spot of silicone to hold a seal in place by applying a little then giving it 20 min or so to take hold but again only a very small amount just to add a bit of resistance when fitting prob not best advised but it has always worked for me.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does this look correct? just been to pick the part up

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

does anyone know if theres a recess in the pipe for this to slot into. if not would it be easier to put it into the housing and slide it over that way?

C

·
0 Posts
I can only say Sorry I don't know I would imagine so but that will be confirmed once you strip it back down again. I'm sure someone will be along in a bit to confirm or deny my guess.:D

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the seal above is correct. it sits in a recess so it wont move when sliding the housing over

i brought a new seal fitted it and still had a leak from elsewhere. turns out the housing i brought was faulty :mad:

so picked up another one from a local breakers today (lucky i ordered 2 seals :D)

and fitted it all seems well now. lets hope thats the end of it :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts