Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im going to get a new thermostat housing (part that fixes to the cylinder head, not thermostat itself) what should the torque be on the bolts and best sealant for it? Mangled the other slightly, but was a cheap one.
Haynes makes no mention of either.

1.4 8v 207

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10 lb/ft. you shouldn't need any extra sealer other than the gasket/'O' ring that should come with it.

Roger.
I'll see if it comes with one this time, last time was just the unit. Previous but cracked ons has some silicone holding it but no leak, just from the crack it had.

Coolant is leaking into the oil though, more than before to actually go brown, I've tightened the head cylinder bolts an extra 1/2 turn just about, which must have clamped it further. Reckon i probably messed up the seal, even though the head skimmed and block cleaned of old gasket.
Am i right guessing it'll need to potentially be re-done now regardless?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I doubt if over tightening the head bolts did any good. The bolts are designed to give as they are turned, that's why you normally tighten bolts through specific angles rather than to a torque setting on most modern engines. If the oil is getting contaminated through the head gasket then you will need to do it again.
You did use new bolts didn't you?.

Roger.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I doubt if over tightening the head bolts did any good. The bolts are designed to give as they are turned, that's why you normally tighten bolts through specific angles rather than to a torque setting on most modern engines. If the oil is getting contaminated through the head gasket then you will need to do it again.
You did use new bolts didn't you?.

Roger.
Thanks for the help. Yep, new 10 bolts. The exhaust is not smoking as it was, so now its seems its just between the oil and water. Which will probably show when i get it off again.

Is there any checks i should do to ensure that the seal is achieved this time?
Could failing to angle tighten fully as specified most likely cause?

Edit: will probably ignore some advice given on the day, reckon that didn't help the seal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts