Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I'm new to the site although I have been buying new Peugeots (until now!) since 1997 starting with a 106 that year, a 206 in 2000, a 307 Rapier in 2003 and a 207 hatchback 1.4 16v in 2008 which I have just part-exed for a 3 year old 207cc 1.6VTI GT. I can honestly say that right up until the 207 hatchback I have never had a significant problem with any of the Peugeots I have owned.

I test drove the 207cc and it was brilliant. 24k and hardly a mark on it and although it was the first used car I had bought for over 27 years (it was Citroens before the Peugeots) I was more than happy to hand over my old car and the difference in cash. The next day no problem. The following day I got in the car as normal and drove off but had to return to my driveway as I thought either my exhaust had gone adrift or one of the rear springs or shocks had broken. The rattle from the rear end was that bad! But I found nothing, drove off again and no rattle! It's been like that ever since. One day there next day it is not. Drive to the shop it's not there, drive back home and it is, crazy! The only thing I have been able to ascertain is that it definitely never happens when the roof is in the boot. I have even stopped when the rattle is present, stowed the roof away, and silence. So I am pretty certain it has got something to do with the roof which just about eradicates all the other possibilities I had in mind like the rear suspension etc.

I did the usual and googled '207cc roof rattle' and sure enough there are lots of sites with owners posting about their rattling roofs and how disgusted they are with Peugeot cars but I am always wary about taking such things fully on board as who is going to contact Fix-Ya or Honest John and say 'Hey! I've just bought a 207cc and there's nowt wrong with it!'. Nobody, so you tend to get a bit of a jaundiced view, believe that every single 207cc out there has a roof-rattle and that nobody has ever been able to fix it.

So I was wondering if there was anybody out there who has had experience of this problem and either solved it or at least learned exactly what the problem was? I believe one of the main suspects is the locating tongue between the rear window and the roof section but I don't know that for certain. Any information at all would be gratefully received and acknowledged.

(If it helps the rattle sounds like a pebble in a plastic bucket!)

Thank you all in advance.:confused:

·
6,587 Posts
On my daughters 207cc she had a slight rattle when the roof was up. The noise cam from the nearside rear pillar area.

When i looked at it i found that when i looked at the roof hinges/linkage from the boot on the nearside there was a rubber buffer which was not touching unlike the offside, the buffer was adjustable so a adjusted until it matched the offside and the rattle was reduced by about 90%.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts