Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading many, many threads about this fault and the variety of actual faults and 'cures' I thought I'd offer this:

Bought a 2007 1.6Hdi 1600 with around 68k miles on 10 months ago, since then it has been largely fine just the occasional hiccup with the cruise control.

On a run on major A roads one evening it jolted then the Service light came on with the Depollution System Fault warning on the display and the power fell right off.
I pulled in and it died, switched off and back on and it re-started but was in 'limp' mode so I got a hotel for the night and read the manual (not a lot of use!) and started Googling.
Next morning it fired straight up and although the light and warning were still on it drove OK, so I continued with business.

Over the next 3 months I decided to buy the PP2000 kit and diagnose the fault(s), which I did; a variety of things, some I could clear, some 'permanent fault'. I did a stationery DPF burn (scary stuff... damned hot exhaust gas burned the tarmac!) and I bought 4 litres of PAT fluid and topped it up, although it is the bag reservoir type and was only half empty.
Got a service done (all filters and adjustments) and re-set the faults.
It came back. Several more times.
Oddly, just before it stutters and goes into 'limp' there's a noise halfway between a rattle and a flutter, so I thought perhaps it was the turbo actuator diaphragm thingy, and having found fault codes P0234, P0569, P1351 and P0100 I conceded defeat and took it to a garage.
Discussed the fault symptoms and showed them the PP2000 screenshots and they made the right noises and said Peugeot? 1.6Hdi? Yeah, we've had some history with those, we'll still have to do our own diagnostics but if you can leave it a few days we should be able to sort that. So I dropped it off at Millers in Penshaw three working days ago.

Turns out that two sets of injector seals were leaking and there was carbon "about as bad as we've seen it' in almost all of the inlet manifold, turbo pipework, MAF and all points in between. (they showed me the photos and it looked like the aftermath of one of my barbeques)

They stripped and cleaned everything on the induction side, renewed the injector seals (after cleaning mucho crap off the injector bodies, MAF and EGR gear), flushed it all with cleanser so renewed the oil and filter, dropped the sump off and cleaned that plus the pickup pipe which was also restricted with gunge and put it all back together with new seals and gaskets. Test drove it 60 miles under various loads/speeds and thus far it's happy and playing nice. They did say they'd see how it went with the cleaned-up MAF before they'd think about a new one but it seems to have gone OK without needing it renewed.

It did cost me £375 (£180 of which was in labour due to the time consuming nature of de-crapping all the carbon and sludge) but it actually feels like a proper engine again - smoother than it was when I bought it, loads of low-down and mid-range pull and it revs out. I'd have spent more than that in anti-depressants and vodka.

I'll update this when I've done a few more major miles, but fingers crossed it is sorted. :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Incidentally...

... anyone in the North East of England wanting some PAT fluid (replacement for Eolys 176) I still have over 2 litres of it in the container, resealed as soon as I'd topped off my reservoir.
The filling bottle and pipes/connectors are all there too.
Reasonable offers? (Cost £180/4 litres and the kit on Ebay a month ago).

·
Registered
14,581 Posts
Most of the carbon build up with these is actually CAUSED by the egr system this actually throws dirty exhaust gases into the intake to burn them again the carbon build up is a direct result of that !!

Older engines did not suffer this problem I believe its called progress :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sounds like a very poorly serviced engine (before) you bought it. Great engines but need very regular oil changes (every 6K in my opinion and the correct low ash oil grade is a MUST) which works out once a year for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed

The car did look well cared for when purchased but yes, only a partial service history.
It does seem that the leaking injector bodies were responsible for some of the cacking up too, quite a considerable amount of oil residue and goo (not diesel) around them both inside and outside of the intake.

Just been for a variable speed/load run out, about 60 miles, and it's remarkably smooth and the pickup has never been as good, lots of low down and mid-range, Average consumption is now back up around 42mpg like it was when I bought it, instead of the 34-35 I was seeing recently.

Incidentally I did get it serviced (questionable how good a job was done) prior to the first occasion that it threw a wobbler, Millers did say the oil filter (allegedly changed at the service by the other garage who shall remain nameless) was fairly well clogged when they renewed it as part of the work. Won't be going to the other one again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah well... too good to be true I suppose

After about 900 miles on the re-assembled car and just prior to going in to get the injectors re-torqued after bedding in the damned light came back on again, slight 'hiccup' and onto limp mode.
Following day took it back to Millers, slapped the diagnostics on it and sure enough high pressure in the turbo and faulty MAF.
Quick check showed there was once again oil in the inlet side (post turbo) and further investigation revealed play in the turbo spindle, hence the leaking turbo seal and faulty MAF reading.

So it's new turbo time. Ouch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts