Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not the driver or passengers :)

My first post on the forum as I've just bought a 2.2 HDi 607 and first impressions are great! I love everything about it, style, drive!

But, and theres always a but, I have a problem!

Yesterday I noticed a really bad smell and I thought it was coming from the vents. So after taking some advice, I decided to clean the air con out with one of those sprays you can buy from Halfords. However, this hasn't worked and its now worse than ever.

Now I dont think the smell is coming from the vents in the car. The smell is strongest in the boot, in fact its contaminating everything that sits in there. There are some bits cut out of the trim in the boot at the top right hand side, just above the wheel arch. This is where the smell is coming from.

Its so strong, at first quite eggy but then it starts to make you feel sick! Its currently circulating in my nostrils.

I really would appreciate any help, in fact I'll buy a slab of beers for anyone that helps!

G

·
1) Get the aircon professionally sanitised. It doesn't cost a lot and can protect you from respiratory infections. Fit a new aircon filter while you're about it.

2) Buy 2 x Auto Glym upholstry cleaners and clean the entire car, roof lining, seats, carpets, fabric door/dash/boot trim within an inch of their lives. A nailbrush is useful.

3) Stick the mats through the washing machine (you may need to do this one or two at a time, unless your washer is a whopper).

4) Check thoroughly for dead bodies, rotting fish, doggy doos, evidence of spilled milk etc.

5) Check for evidence of water ingress that might be making carpets or soft trim damp and promoting bad niffs.

Job done.

PS, mines a Guinness please ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chopper,

Thanks for the reply but not so fast on that beer :lol:

I've just got off the phone to my mechanic mate, I think I may have busted the cat. We're going to stick it up on the jack tomorrow and have a good look.

Anyone any ideas on how much it will cost for that bit of the exhaust?

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Could be your CAT :lol:

Mines a Bud,

Only joking

By the way if you live in Northern Ireland you don`t get tested for a cat on a diesel car here so you can hammer it out , but the eggy smell could be the cat on the way out as the fumes would be coming up round your backend when driving and entering your boot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only emissions test that a diesel needs to pass in the UK is a smoke opacity test to make sure it's not sooting everyone to death. The cat fitted to diesels does nothing to help reduce soot so isn't needed for the MOT test as such. However, many places will refuse to remove a cat from a diesel stating that it has to be fitted by law. They may be correct, but having said that, if you take a decatted diesel in for an mot then it'll pass. Unless you get a stickler who tells you that the exhaust is incomplete and fails you because of this. I don't think it's ever happened but theoretically it could.

Biggest problem will be finding an exhaust place to decat it for you. I used a place in Darlington who did my van for £45, but then I sent someone else there and they refused to do it for him. He went to another place and got it done there though.

G

·
You don't get tested for the cat on the MOT in mainland GB on a diesel, and it's not lawully required to be fitted. The only MOT emissions test is the smoke test, and the presence or otherwise of the cat makes zero difference to that. If the cat is dead I'd have some plain pipe welded in its place - it'll help the turbo spool up quicker too.

That said, I'd be mighty surprised if the cat on a diesel was smelling eggy at all, much less bad enough to make you chunder - it works differently to a petrol one.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Martin, pour some water on your rear wheel disc and see if it fries up..

Do them so many times, nothing to do with aircon or CAT. (if it was the CAT, the computer will give errors all over the place)

Its the breaks binding.. usually the handbrake cable gets seized which causes the handbrake shoes inside the disc to cause extreme heat which burns the rear brake pads.. the smell is the brake pads burning due to the hub being seized.. :thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update and Problem Found

Hi guys,

Thanks to you all who took the time to reply and help out :thumb:

After much searching and at one point, almost giving up, we managed to find out what was causing the smell. It wasn't the cat, the brakes or the aircon. What was it, the service battery! Yep, the eggy smell was coming from there and thats why it was so bad in the boot. When we pulled back all the lining, we could hear the acid boiling away in the battery.

One 40 amp battery and £40 lighter, the smell has gone and normal service has been resumed!

Thanks again for your help, these forums really do prove invaluable at times :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts