Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First post !
Ok, I have read most of the threads relating to this error and have acted on some advice in the past.
My Problem:

I have a 2006 307cc, when started from cold and driven the temperature will gradually begin to rise. all ok
After for example 3 miles the temperature gauge will go into the far end of the red and display:
Engine temperature too hot and the "stop" sign is illuminated.
However after 10 seconds the gauge will go back to normal and all warnings extinguish.

I have replaced the temp sensor with a part from peugeot, but still the same thing happens.
I have also replaced the coolant and pretty sure its bleed correctly.
Car loses no coolant and a there is no issue with the head gasket.

The fans do work.
I wonder could this be a thermostat issue? the stat does open though.
I thought the thermostats if faulty would stick in the open position?

Thing is the issue happens near enough at the same spot when driving, sometimes it dosnt.
Once it happens once in the day it dosnt happen again, perhaps because the stat has opened?

Any help regarding the correct bleeding proceedure or any other things to look for would be appreciated.

C

·
0 Posts

·
11,780 Posts
It is possible that the replacement part is also faulty. I've seen the problem a few times and a new temperature sender fixed it each time.

How about taking it out, measuring the output and putting it in pan of water on the stove?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I had two thermostat housings on my 307 both units not made by peugeot £53 each with temp sensor each faulty and one the stat was stuck fully open the other partial open.

When I buy again will price oem part the supplier did mention several temp sensors had been faulty and returned

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

D

·
0 Posts
This engine is a bast**d to bleed correctly. All the bleed nipples need to be flowing coolant, closed and the revs held at 1500rpm until the fans come in. Then the bleed nipples bled out again. There is a special tool to attach to the top of the reservoir to bleed the system correctly. I would say its imperitive for correct bleeding.
Will post a pic of it.

D

·
0 Posts
Official yes. Yours does an equal job too.
I found I was drinking too much 7up to make new special tools so I bought the real one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brilliant, all great replies thankyou.
well first stop I will rebleed the system, so, best to bleed first when filling with coolant.
bleed screw at heater matrix first? Then on thermostat housing ?
Run it at 1500rpm until stat opens and then rebleed in same order?

If that didn't do it, then meter temp sensor, does anyone know correct resistance etc?
If not that then new thermostat housing I guess.

I have seen a thermostat housing on the net it says it's a wahler unit, I am sure Peugeot use this part, however it is only 30 quid....umm

replies welcome again

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok,

have now re bleed the coolant system using a makeshift peugeot tool, infact similar to Gibbos but I modified it slightly to get around copyright issues etc :)

TBH there was no air in the system that I could find though.

However it didnt do the "STOP" thing, the fan kicked in as normal.
I did have the heater on full heat and full power though, I dont normally.

So, I am letting it cool down and will give it a drive later.

I did notice that the fan kicked in before the thermostat opened....could be a clue ? about 30 seconds or so, but cant be sure.

opinions again helpful

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, thought my issue was solved, not to be.
So I need to know if the thermostat is contained in the thermostat housing on a 307cc 2006 2.0, or is it a simple switch of the thermostat itself?
I am pretty sure the stat is lazy as described earlier.
Quick info if possible as I will get the part tomorrow from Peugeot.
Thankyou

·
Registered
3 Posts
iv seen coolant temp sensors leak coolant through sensor and into sensor connector coolant can travel through these wires and up to engine ecu connection and in some rare cases ecu had to be repaired or replaced along with wiring,was the connection side of original sensor damp? applies to push in type sensor with the 'u' shape clip cant remember if the 2.0 has this type,sometimes cleaning connections can fix problem

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Replaced sensor about 8 months a go.
Thing is, the tempo will hit the bottom of the red, the fan kick in and the thermostat will then open. I say open because I can feel the coolant temp begin to flow from the thermostat housing.
But is the thermostat part of the housing or not ?
Maybe the sennsor is working correctly and triggering the warning and temp needle increase then the stat opens and everything is fine?????
Thoughts

1 - 20 of 66 Posts