Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2008 207 1.6 16v, it's done 64k.
In stop and go traffic i noticed it overheats but as soon as i set off the temp drops again.
After testing the resistor in the fan it was dud, so i replaced the resistor and the fan works as it should.
However, after a 25min drive round town the expansion tank had built alot of pressure, no small 'hiss' upon opening but an overspil of hot water.
Temperature was fine the entire drive home and the heaters work fine,
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
thanks.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Why do you think you have a problem? The system is designed to work under pressure, and the expansion tank should only be opened when the system is cold.

·
Registered
877 Posts
stats mostly stick open but can stick shut, also if its a vti you have a pulley tensioner that feeds the water pump, make sure it has a nice tight contact (pull the cord a few times)

...only if it overheating

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
After your drive, you shut down the engine.
Then the coolant is no longer being pumped round the system, so you are getting heat soak, that is the engine, and particulary the cylinder head, are heating up the coolant, and it isn't being circulated. I bet if tou turned on the ignition after a minute or so the temperature gauge would be showing hotter than when you turned the engine off. If you open the pressure cap the coolant may instantly boil.
This is quite normal, and this is why, as IanML said, you shouldn't open the cap on a hot engine.

Roger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help everyone,
the day later I noticed a small pool of water under the car so I put it on a ramp and the water pump had gone, changed it and along with the working fan i no longer have temp issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts