Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: Peugeot 307 1.4 Style (2001 model)

Greetings.

When I climb into my Peugeot 307 and start the engine from cold, everything seems to be in order. I put the heater on and after a minute or two I begin to notice the air temperature rising as expected.

After perhaps 5 minutes of sitting in morning traffic I notice that the temperature gause is already quite high, perhaps around 80 degrees; higher than I'm used to seeing it by this stage.

The temperature continues to rise; quite rapidly. Maybe the pump has stopped pumping coolant around the engine: as evidence, the air temperature coming from the heater is now cold again.

This is typically (though not always) accompanied by the strange behaviour of the car radio changing to its default channel, and all buttons on the radio now refusing to respond (except for the power button). Turning the radio off and on again fixed this issue, until the same behaviour repeats itself.

The temperature now shoots up from aprox 110 degrees into the Red and the car warns me to 'Stop'. I don't trust this reading, it's cold outside, I'm sat in traffic and the engine is merely idalling - I think it's hot, but not that hot.

I leave the car running for a moment and the temperature drops to aprox 110 degrees again - the pump has started working again, temperature gradually falls to where I would expect it to be: between 80 and 90 degrees. The air coming from the heater now quickly becomes warm again. Everything is back to normal, unless it happens again, which it usually does not.

I believe I have an electrical fault, perhaps a relay. I have no idea where to look, has anybody experienced a similar issue?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. I only want to keep this car running for another 6 months so would like to try to fix this myself.

Kind regards,
Richard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it improbable that this is a temperature sensor problem. See anecdote regarding radio and the point about the coolant pump appearing to stop working.

Anybody else?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Have you tried flushing the system out?

Drop the water (when cold) out of the car and try and open a few of the water hoses especially around the radiator, engine and cabin heater. Put a hose pipe in them and given them a good blast out from both ways. Then refill the car with water and try it out for a few days (i would just use water for now as apposed to anti freeze - put some in before winter though)

I would try the water sensor too - only about £5 for a new one and easy to replace - one retaining clip and a push fit

I'd personally rule out the water pump as these tend to start leaking when they go wrong. They will always spin the water around but their bearings go causing them to leak

1 - 5 of 5 Posts