Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on why my 1.9TD XuD makes a noisy tapping noise at start up? When engine reaches operating temp the tapping noise quietens down but still audible especially when waiting in traffic queues. Can't hear it at speed on road only when doing a speed upto 40mph ish. On acceleration the noise increases then quietens when at a cruising speed. Tapping noise disappears when decelerating and the engine sounds really healthy. Any ideas? Anything to worry about? I'm off to France in a couple of weeks with my two teenagers so peace of mind would be great. It a recon engine with 40k miles - so they said.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Both mine and my mates XMs, both 2.1td used to do this, I used a thicker 20/50 oil which stopped it.

Never had this problem with 1.9s though but would suspect it's tappets.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks
I tried the bar-to-ear trick at various places and could not hear any out of the ordinary noise that was in sync with the tapping noise. I say tapping noise but it sounds more like an annoying diesel knock when standing outside car.
Found some suggestion on the www such as
1 - clatter was diesel knock caused by false readings from the crank sensor to the ecu affecting the timing, this was due to the inner half of the pulley oscillating and not running true over the sensor
2 - timing advance solenoid sticking
3 - Needle lift sensor on injector - all injectors sounded ok using bar-to ear trick
4 - Tappets - sounded ok when used bar-to ear trick.
5 - sticking injector 1 (one with wire) - none of mine has a wire to it.
6 - not enough diesel firing due to fuel supply issue
7 - Glow plugs - can't see how these can affect knocking noise
Could be either 1, 2, 6 or 7 above. Will have to wait after France trip to investigate further.
Could this be something to worry about or can I wait until after the France trip?
Any thoughts please for peace of mind.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Really can't see it being 1 as yours is an old XUD.

Other than doing a quick oil change to see what happens, have you checked the alternator belt/tensioner pulley and even crank pulley. I've know the alt belt make a cracking sound if it's lost some of it grooves.

Do you know what grade oil is in it?
When is your trip to France? I've got some spare Bosch injectors you could try but I'd be very surprised if it's that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi citrail
Off to France on 27 July.
I'll check the auxiliary belt pulleys next weekend (I'm away in Reading during week days). Oil grade Magnatec 5w-40 C3. Should I change to magnetic 15w-40 A3/B4 or is this too thick an oil for my engine (1999)? As you suggest it may not be the injectors and when I did the bar-ear trick and all injectors sounded ok.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My partner wrote off my Peugeot 306 xud9 dt last year and I bought another decent one, with a blown engine for £120. I decided to change the oil seals, water pump, timing belt kit, egr delete, de cat, head gasket etc, on my old engine and transplant into new car. I had done around 180,000 on the engine since I bought it at 22,000. I removed the main bearing shells and found them to be in really good condition for the mileage they had done. I had always used Castrol 10/40 or 15/40 (depending what was on offer and often mixing both) semi synth 6k miles or 6 month intervals religiously. I bought genuine Peugeot parts for the rebuild from a Peugeot indy . Around the same time I bought a Peugeot 806 xud9 dt and noticed the service interval to be 10,000 same engine. Phoned the Indy and his words were. Ignore the 10k oil service, carry on with 10/40 semi at 6k 6 months. He also said that they don't need fancy oils ordinary Castrol is fine, and that the turbos were more prone to failing than the engines due to lack of oil changes. So it looks like I fluked my way through for the past 17 years. :nod: Oh and it's the original turbo. Oh and I drove it hard until the 1st of the kids arrived 4 years ago.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Hi citrail
Off to France on 27 July.
I'll check the auxiliary belt pulleys next weekend (I'm away in Reading during week days). Oil grade Magnatec 5w-40 C3. Should I change to magnetic 15w-40 A3/B4 or is this too thick an oil for my engine (1999)? As you suggest it may not be the injectors and when I did the bar-ear trick and all injectors sounded ok.
Just a quick note - the "w" number in the oil grade refers to the winter/cold weather/cold start, and the second number (the "40" in those above) refers to the viscosity of the oil at 100 deg C.

The lower the winter/cold start number, the better oil performance at lower temperatures.

For this time of year, I imagine the difference between the two is barely noticeable.

It's always best sticking to the recommended oil.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for all the sound advice.
I'll change the oil now at every 6k miles an I'll tighten up the auxiliary belt this weekend which does look as though it's whipping about. Will give feedback this weekend.
Cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi all
I checked auxiliary belt and it was ok - it only flickered for a moment when accelerating. Took car to a Citroen/Peugeot garage and mechanic (who knows all about 1.9 XUD) said engine sounds good. . Strange but when driving up a steepish hill the tapping noise disappears until I switch off the engine and restart her. I put some 'clean drive' into the 1/4 tank and that certainly reduced the noise. Funny thing this but when I sorted the A/C seals and had it recharged, the noise has almost but disappeared. Well I hope all is ok with the 1.9 XuD as I'm setting off touring France in a couple of days and even taking her over the alps (not thro the tunnel). All in all a 2k trip with my two lads - doin' a bit of stealth camping too.
I'll let you know how she coped.
Cheers to all

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All
Just returned from a two week 2500 mile trip through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, The Alps, Italy, South Coast France, West Coast France, Normandy and back home. Engine ran perfect even thought noises tapping at start up which almost disappeared when up to running temperature - will definitely put in a can of 'clean drive' every few months now and change oil every 6k miles.
Cheers guys

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hi all
The tapping noise that is apparent at start-up was extremely loud the other day. That loud I thought there was a big problem. Hoping the noise would sort itself I drove the car for a few miles and noticed that the rev counter was not working also. I put the engine in neutral, turned the engine off and coasted (I was in a narrow carriageway, in a queue of traffic and no where to pull over). I then restarted the engine and the rev counter was working again and also the loud tapping noise completely disappeared (the engine was now at running temp). I have looked at posts on Diesel knock/tapping and different people say -
1 - Noise is caused by not enough diesel firing. Its either an injector or a fuel supply issue I have a 1.9 d xu pug. I changed the fuel filter then it started doing this I took out filter and threw it away. Problem stopped. To compensate. I put on a £1 inline fuelFilter. Runs sweet now.
2 - it's your timing advance solenoid sticking mate. put a litre of oil in the diesel to lubricate it a bit and if it dosent cute it replace it. get this issue in work all the time
3 - I have the same problem. Its the throttle sensor/ throttle valve just beneath the throttle cable***that is causing that sound.
4 - My 1999 Peugeot Expert had exactly the same symptoms: loud hammering / nailing, at any engine temperature, not only cold start.
It was a faulty injector #2. After that was fixed, the engine ran smooth and quiet again.
5 - My conclusion of the noise we had is that apart from the pulley noise which eventually sounded like old tin cans rattling, the ratchet and clatter was diesel knock caused by false readings from the crank sensor to the ecu affecting the timing, this was due to the inner half of the pulley oscillating and not running true over the sensor.
Is the tapping noise linked to the rev counter (timing advance solenoid?) in some way?.
Any thoughts on which diagnosis above is correct?
It would be wonderful to have my engine running without a diesel knock/tapping at start up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the problem you mentioned about the rev counter not working and really loud knocking. My 806 1.9 xud has done it a few times on starting up. I turn it off then start her up again to stop it. Would love to know what causes this.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,947 Posts
806 uses a crank sensor for the rev counter and this is also used to give some control of the timing advance on the pump no signal and the timing wont advance enough when cold.

This was the start of the electronic revolution they were using electronics to vary the timing on a mechanical pump and it was fine when it worked :)

check crank sensor for dirt and the connection for oil ingress.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Reliable406

I will have a look at the crank sensor next weekend and clean it if required - I'll let you know via this topic.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks reliable 406 I'm going to check my sensor too when I change the clutch

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts