Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've finished changing my cam belt and had a remap and just went out for a drive.

The car is really really tappety. Any idea why this might be?

It's a 2.0L HDI 110 by the way.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It runs ok. still has slight turbo lag which was there before.

Its just noisier on tick over than before and badly tappety driving. Slight burning oil smell too which I put down to the fact that my oily hands have been all over the engine this week so think its just burning off the outside of the engine. No smoke from tailpipe anyway.

Heats up ok.

Pete

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is as simply as tappets I dont understand what has caused the problem and really I should work this out before attempting any repair to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Ideas welcome.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Aren't the tappets hydraulic ? so no adjustment is possible to remedy the noise.
If the noise has only started since the cam belt change it must be something that was done at that stage, cam timing a tooth out maybe? clutching at straws here.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The remap was done by HDI Tuning so I dont suspect that at this stage.

When I did the cam belt, I locked the flywheel and the cam didn't line up it was out a couple of mm so had to remove belt and realign the cam.

After replacing the belt and turning the engine by hand both flywheel and cam lined up again. Re-pinned both flywheel and cam, re-tensioned, turned engine by hand again and flywheel/cam still lining up together.

I know you shouldnt need to realign the cam but given that they now line up surely thats how its meant to be.

I'm clutching at straws too so feel free to chip in.

Pete

Here's a pic of the cam when it didnt line up:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers.

I flashed the new file in yesterday and then went out for first drive since cam belt change.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The kit came with new idler and tensioner so these went on.
Good answer ..:)

Right then, If I was me .... I'd move the cam 1 tooth and see what happens (if its worse then 2 teeth the other way)

Normal caveats and workshop practices apply, check that there are no valves hitting before starting engine :thumb:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I heard they wouldnt run if cam/crank werent in sync but if they can run a tooth out thats even more reason for me to check timing again.

Thanks guys for the input.

To the lefty or righty? hopefully it'll be obvious, we shall see.

Pete

1 - 20 of 38 Posts