Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after just over one year of ownership and problem-free 32k km, my GT has hit a major snag.

Was just driving home from work a month ago, when the Engine and Service lights came on and the car went into limp mode, misfiring and barely making any power. Next day, I nursed it to the local Peugeot dealer.

They've been so overwhelmed with appointments, they only got around to a full diagnosis last week, tearing the engine down to try and find the issue, and after getting in contact with Peugeot in Germany, they plan to replace the camshaft. They've never seen such a problem before.

Between the mechanic's vacation, public holidays, and backlog, I'll be happy if they can complete it in a month. That famous German customer service.... So that means >60 days out of service.

Of course, the used car warranty expired just a month ago, so no one really wants to help me out. So I'm looking at a 4-5 k€ repair bill, if and when it ever gets fixed, plus the cost of renting a car for 2 months.

Talk about the adage "falling apart just after warranty" :mad: *sigh* so much for the hopes of a long ownership. I guess I'll just get something like a Toyota next time......

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What engine and year?
Its the THP 205 petrol. A 2017 model year but I picked it up 2nd hand last May from a Peugeot dealer. So the car has 52k on it total; had the annual inspection/maintenance done in April this year, also at a Peugeot retailer.

Haven't done anything out of the ordinary, and the event happened just on my daily commute. :confused:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Most probably the timing chain has slipped a tooth due to stretching and wear on the tensioners, an extremely common fault on these engines.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
After 52k km? Less than 35k miles? You're not serious surely.

mlin32, presumably in Germany you only get 2 years Peugeot warranty? We get 3 years in the UK so here it would be repaired under warranty still.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After 52k km? Less than 35k miles? You're not serious surely.

mlin32, presumably in Germany you only get 2 years Peugeot warranty? We get 3 years in the UK so here it would be repaired under warranty still.
Yup, 2 year EU warranty expired at the end of Jan 2019 and my 12 month used car warranty from the dealer just expired, and they said "no" to goodwill.

A far cry from the US.......where a 3-4 yr warranty is often the norm and goodwill for such a major component is often the norm. :(

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
A far cry from the US.......where a 3-4 yr warranty is often the norm and goodwill for such a major component is often the norm. :(
Look at some of the far eastern manufacturers offering 6 and 7 year warranties. Can't believe that's just in the UK.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look at some of the far eastern manufacturers offering 6 and 7 year warranties. Can't believe that's just in the UK.
The Koreans have offered a 10yr/100k mile warranty as long as I can remember in the US, and powertrain warranties for other cars often go 4-6 yrs, and the aforementioned 3-4 for other components.

If PSA wants to enter the North American market, they need to up the game. It only takes a few bad experiences and the entire public loses trust- look at the flop of Alfa Romeo there. The THP engine was quite mature by 2017 so it's very disappointing that a major mechanical happens at just 35k mls.

Then the other question is, when/if my 308 gets fixed.....do I even want to keep it ? Obviously I'll have to for a little while given the large sum of money spent on repair, but then what other hardware component is a ticking time bomb ? :eek:

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
At the moment you don't definitely know what has actually caused your problem.

It might be a one off issue, nothing to do with chain tensioners.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My condolences for this crappy experience.
If the car passed ALL of the maintenance services on time and with approved original parts and liquids, I would suggest you to contact your national Peugeot customer service for "good will" since it is so frustrating a new car fails in such a manner.
If customer service in Germany won't help, address directly to manufacturer customer service in France.
Here we have 3 years warranty and I'm familiar with at least 2 cars that got their engine replaced free of charge by the manufacturer post the warranty as part of good will since the cars were maintained properly.
Good luck

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
PSA was already in the north american market till the 90s and they done rather well !

In your case i would not mess around with dealers i would be going straight to peugeot france as even though i think this engine is rubbish it should not fail at that mileage fit for purpose springs to mind.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update : got the car back today. Indeed it was the camshaft which had lost the correct timing, so they had to replace the entire camshift and related components. Combined with the part-by-part diagnosis (they'd never seen this before) and complete teardown of the engine, the repair bill was expensive : 2 500 €.

The dealer will submit the paperwork to Peugeot in Germany to see what they will reimburse me as goodwill. Whatever, it's over with.

Total days out of service : 54.

Lesson learned : cars are a money pit. Best to just buy a cheap new one and just live with it. I got used to having just 90 horses in the Renault Captur TCe rental I paid for, even going on summer holiday with it all loaded up with luggage and a bicycle. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's good you have the car back and I would like to think they will come back with an offer on goodwill. I had a 2007 207CC which popped its ABS pump a few week after the three year warranty. They quoted £1400. I asked if it had been something I had done, the way I had driven the car, or whether it was a consumable part that had worn out, they confirmed neither. Also asked if it would have been covered in warranty and they said yes. So that cover says it was a manufacturing defect so I suggested they put it back together and I would take it elsewhere to be repaired then take them to small claims for the cost. They then said they would ring Pug goodwill (why had they not already done this?) who agreed to cover it.

I think in the UK we have longer to claim (six years) but the onus is on the buyer to prove it's a manufacturing fault.

The following car, a 2010 308CC (BMW Prince engine) I paid the extended warranty for and until now it has had three timing chains and tensioners fitted under warranty (plus thermostat and some other bits).

I hope they come through for you. They really should accept responsibility if there is nothing you could have done differently to prevent it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good will... or lack of.... when getting engine repaired.....

As a newbie to this forum, yes I have recently discovered the lack of good-will (at a cost of £1400) and the joys of a T9 timing chain issue which has allegedly been due to my servicing at 35000 miles (on a 308 1.6 THP T9 Petrol 2014 unit)...it had been dealer serviced up to 27000miles.......

Basically the Peugeot good-will department (despite assurances from the Peugeot dealer) decided to reject my good-will request for the tensioner replacement at £650 Peugeot dealer prices.

Problem was, the tensioner was not the complete solution as clearly the timing chain had stretched and there was also some wear on the gears, which further caused the P0016 fault 5 miles after the dealer repair.

After a complete timing chain kit repair by a garage I trust (at £800) the engines faults have disappeared.....hopefully for good

It is quite clear to me now that the 2014 1.6 THP Petrol T9 "prince" engines are very prone to failure should -
1. you not change the oil every 6-12 months minimum (REGARDLESS of mileage / usage!)
2. you not look at the 10w30 to 0w30 change from other Pug engines
3. you not look at anything else that may affect oil getting onto the chain / belt area (eg cam belt falling apart, blocked oil strainers, blocked oil filters, oil pumping output pressure.....which is not easy to measure for the most of us)
4. you not look at getting the garage to check the oil pumping pressure (as per above issues) when getting your engine fixed for such a failure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The three occasions where the tensioner fault occurred for me they replaced the chain as well as the tensioner. I have some sympathies for them on the engine as it was never in use long enough to fault this part but it is their responsibility now. Believe several mods were made to the tensioner so the later ones may (or may not) be better than the earlier ones. I am surprised you had this on a 2014 car - long time after my 2010 and how long does it take to work out what's wrong and fix it going forward?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dealer should have submitted a special request to PSA weeks ago to take full responsibility for the cam belt failure.
Please write an urgent email to customer support with all the car details.
Unless you are not telling us some crucial detail...
You should not have paid that dealer a dime.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts