Peugeot Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, whilst electric handbrakes get a lot of stick, personally I like them and also like how on the 308 it automatically engages when you switch off the engine.

But on a temporary basis I'd like to switch off the automatic engagement so I can leave the car with out the handbrake (yes, I know I could just manually disengage it after it has been engaged). I'm sure I've read that this feature can be turned off but I can't find where I've seen this.

Does anyone know how this can be done?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most cars with electric handbrakes wont let you leave it off they ALL go on automatically when engine is turned off.
I've had several cars with electronic handbrakes, they all disengage when you drive off, but the only ones I've had that engage automatically is on the 308 and on a Passat. It's a good feature 99% of the time...

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
As far as I know all you can do is put your foot on the brake pedal then switch the brake off. You can then leave it with the parking brake off. But please don't do what my wife did and forget there was a slight slope. Fortunately the front doorstep stopped the car.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
I've had several cars with electronic handbrakes, they all disengage when you drive off, but the only ones I've had that engage automatically is on the 308 and on a Passat. It's a good feature 99% of the time...
Its part of the crusade to make the car the boss like auto headlights lane assist auto braking etc most of it is pushed as safety but in reality it simply makes the driver more redundant most manufacturers now have them coming on automatically can be a pain in the arse if you DONT want the handbrake on if parking for long periods or if you dont want it on incase it freezes in winter etc

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New I'd read it somewhere, it's in the manual!

Deactivating automatic operation
In some situations, such as very cold weather
or towing (caravan, recovery), it may be
necessary to deactivate automatic operation of
the system.
F Start the engine.
F Apply the parking brake with the control
lever, if it is released.
F Take your foot off the brake pedal.
F Push and hold the control lever in the
release direction for at least 10 seconds
and no more than 15 seconds.
F Release the control lever.
F Press and hold the brake pedal.
F Pull the control lever in the apply direction
for 2 seconds.

Deactivation of the automatic functions
is confirmed by illumination of this
indicator lamp in the instrument panel.
F Release the control lever and the brake
pedal.

From this point the parking brake can only
be applied and released manually using the
control lever.

Repeat this procedure to reactivate automatic
operation.
Reactivation of automatic operation is
confirmed by the indicator lamp in the
instrument panel going off.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've read that also. I did try it but didn't seem to work. Its a lot of hassle to figure out what I haven't done. Maybe I didn't rub my stomach and pat my head at the same time :lol:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Automatically engage on Renault, too.

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts
Most cars with electric handbrakes wont let you leave it off they ALL go on automatically when engine is turned off.
Vauxhall don't. Neither my insignia or our zafira tourer do it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've disabled the automatic handbrake in the past and driven for some time, but came to a conclusion it's is better with the function on. The instructions to disable/enable are in the manual or read few threads above. I had to try quite few times before managed to disable and then enable the handbrake.

First you have to accept the constantly on red light which is showing on your instrument panel that automatic handbrake is disabled.
Second you will get an annoying sound every time you open driver's door if the handbrake is not engaged manually.
And finally when stop on red traffic light and engage the handbrake, on green light you want to move forward and forget that handbrake is applied you won't go anywhere and have to manually release it.

What I find easier is when the forecast is for cold nights put the ignition on ( without engine start ) release the handbrake, switch off and pull the keys out. You still get the annoying noise when the door is open but not every time you forget to apply it.

When went to the dealer last time I asked them if it's possible to disable the annoying sound when handbrake is not engage and driver door open. They replied no because is safety future unless someone here knows otherwise.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've read that also. I did try it but didn't seem to work. Its a lot of hassle to figure out what I haven't done. Maybe I didn't rub my stomach and pat my head at the same time :lol:
It took me three attempts, but it does work.

I'm planning on taking my car on a track day at the weekend and every bit of advice I've read says do not put the handbrake on afterwards due to the brakes being hot. Hence why I was looking to do this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When went to the dealer last time I asked them if it's possible to disable the annoying sound when handbrake is not engage and driver door open. They replied no because is safety future unless someone here knows otherwise.
I want to do this too! So annoying sound.
I want one out of two options.
1. Disable the sound when car is in Park and door is opend.
2. Auto engage the handbrake when door is opened instead of alarm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.