Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fortnight ago I was hit by a DHL truck. The driver didn't check the road was clear and drove into the side of me while I was waiting at a junction, totally his fault. Anyhow I've Been paid out by insurance and kept the car, my 56 plate 206 verve 1.4. The impact to the front driver side wing and wheel. The noticeable damage is that obviously the wing is dented and also the wheel is titled in. The cars been into a local garage and he advised replacing the shock as it appeared to be bent. Got the car back last night with the new shock fitted. Wheel still appears to be titled (negative camber) on closer inspection I've noticed that behind the tire the clearance to the shock is far less than the other side, the garage said it was almost touching originally. Now to be fair the garage has a very good reputation and are not type to throw lots of parts in if not needed. I feel he's looking to correct the issue but by bit. He said I may need a new bearing, this I agree as there is a rumble from the wheel at 40mph. He also mentions possibly the hub. Now I canvases how the hub could cause the wheel to tilt like this. Has anyone any suggestions I'm calling back in tomorrow or Monday.

Attachments

·
Registered
997 Posts
If the wheel took a hit directly from the side any of the items in the image could be bent? most likely the flange that the wheel bolts to.Also the drive-shaft goes through this lot so even that could be bent.
If that was me I would get hold of a 2nd hand hub carrier assembly all built up.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Hub castings are bent easily so if the strut was bent the hub will be too and it wont look bent till you compare them just get a whole used one

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
My first 307 was hit by a fiat pand in the same area but on the passenger side at low speed. The car was written off as there was a lot of damage to the chassis aand inner wing as well as damage to the Mcpherson strut and all the suspension components.

If a panda can do that kind of damage it's not unreaasonable to expect a truck to do at least as much damage. If it were mine I'd want to at least get the front end measured against the build specs to make sure the front end is square and true.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
As per the above 2 posts, I would be very surprised if there was not any structural damage to the chassis/strut/crossmember setup. Modern cars are very soft, small hits can bend all sorts of bits as everything is designed to crumple to absorb energy in accidents. Get it checked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the car is back at the local garage. He did check for any structural damage before starting any work. The main visible damage was at the base of the shock where it enters the hub. After replacing the shock its now evident that the hub assembly is bent too. I've picked up a used hub from a Peugeot breaker and have left the car at the garage to have it fitted this after noon. I'll post later on tonight when I get the car back and let you Know how it goes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cars sorted. Everything is straight and pointing in the right direction. Took it for a good run after collecting it last night and drove to work today. Car is spot on. Do need to take it in to get tracking properly checked (local garage don't have the equipment). Just need to get the wing replaced. Local Peugeot breaker didn't have one in my colour.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts