Peugeot Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well got it up on ramps and had a good look underneath again. The RH spring didn't look straight, and was quite badly corroded, so bought a new pair.
Fitted them both, also checked the top mounts again, ensuring they are lined up properly with the indents on the body, put it all back together very carefully, and guess what, the noise is still there.
been following various threads on here and elsewhere on the exact same issues.

Seems like the slightest bit of wear in many places can end up causing this issue and are very heard to find.

ive given up worrying about it and ignoring the noises.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Going back to your original cause (replacement O/S wishbone), have you checked for any movement/slackness on the wishbone bolts?

It might be worth giving them a quick once over to check.

I can't really think of anything else that'd cause this issue as you appear to have replaced almost everything....

From my understanding the following could cause it;
Top Mounts
Springs
Struts
Wishbones
Drop Links
Bottom Ball Joints
Track Rods
Anti-Roll Bar Bushes
Bolts between Sub frame & Wishbones
Bolts between Struts & Wheel Hub
Bottom Ball Joint Nut

I may have missed some but I can't think of anything else that'd cause this issue...

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes, good points.
I have been all over checking all the nuts/bolts are tight and they are.

I can't feel any play in any ball joints, including the drop links. The anti roll bar bushes have been replaced, but the originals were definitely not worn that much.

I checked the damping and smoothness of the struts too when I had the springs off (I have had a noisy damper in the past).

I am satisfied that there is nothing really wrong, and at least the car is safe to drive, maybe I spend all my time listening for it now, so will hear the slightest thing. It's too easy to get paranoid about these things.

Looking at the top mount of the spring, there are two protrusions on the circumference, which should fit into matching recesses on the car body. These looked as if they had been damaged in that the rubber coating had been sheared off. I think that when I managed to misplace the spring, the top mount was twisted on the body causing this. Whether that contributed to the noise I don't know. The reason I compressed the spring was that I couldn't get the wishbone low enough to get the ball joint stud into the wishbone end. If I had that problem another time I would remove the two bolts holding the strut to the hub carrier and lift the latter.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well it's definitely making that noise on both sides now, went over one of those rubber speed bumps today, at an angle, so each wheel went over at a different time. I clearly heard the soft rubbery knock on both sides.

The 307 s the first car I have come across where the strut top mounting is not really bolted onto the body, it is just clamped by the top nut on the strut. All the other cars have had additional studs. I think there is room for movement here.

One thing is certain, having fitted new front springs, bought from ECP specifically listed for my car, the front end is definitely lower now. I used to be able to just get the trolley jack under the sub frame, alas no longer. I bought the top mounts from there too.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just had the track rod ends and inner tie rods replaced + wheel alignment.

its much better. steering whell is actually centred while going straight, though it does still want to pull left if you let go but that could be the road - ive noticed some roads can pull you in strange ways.

Only tested it up the main road.

the road noise seems a bit less but ill need to take it into town to really know for sure but seems like its quietened down.

£150 parts+labour (garage discovered a screw in my tyre. that will be the guys that were parked in my street loading materials into a flat that was getting worked on then)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ever thought that it could be the new arm you fitted? If the noise started after you fitted the new arm and everything else has been checked, it also seems like a contender to me

·
Registered
29 Posts
its going to be one of those annoying ones that takes ages to find, like i said the local garage had a good look around and thought the MOT tester was a bit over the top saying my bushes were deterorated.

I too have this sort of noise, along with a squelch going over those rediciouslous speed bumps at tesco carparks where you have to slow down slower than 10mph but it only happens if you go over straight (ie both wheels at same time) never happens when 1 wheel goes over first then the other.

im not too bothered about it, the caars driving pretty well and now i know my wishbones and ball joints are fine and not going to suddenly seperate just going to live with it.

i want to renew the suspension when i have the money for the parts (replace the shocks and springs) so when that time comes ill probably have the upper bushes and bearings replaced and have them check the steering rack.

im taking this as a good sign that the garage original advised me that it would be around £400 in labour + parts to £140 labour plus parts including wheel alignment after looking at it.

I rechecked my left front wheel and can no longer find the notchyness that i thought i felt before.

whats the saying ?> " if its not broke dont fix it" Meh... its still annoying though.
Baz ..... ive had the same problem, noise over speed bump replaced the spring then the top mount then the shock then the anti roll bar bush, still a sort of clunky spring noise over bump if you go over any faster than walking speed.
Such a pain had the tracking done now every time ive changed each part.
Doent give me any confidence on motor way.
in my mind i think its something to do with the spring shock or top mount, in that order.
I would not be surprised if its a manufacturing problem in one of the parts.
Im going to look in a scrap yard for a strut ie (spring top and shock)and fit that to see what happens then. Never did this before spring snapped and was changed? Its been off now more times than its been on. Slight pull to the left
Could it be its the wrong spring? I need an old one now to compare.
My feeling is spring 1st or shock. Both are new.?😔

·
7,239 Posts
I have found in a lot of cases bottom ball joint is the source of lots of knocks on a 307. Often its difficult to identify as it only happens when turning and/or at slow speed. If you jack the car up to check the suspension moves and masks the play. I have found leaving the car on the ground and using a lever on the bottom arm can often be the only way to find the movement/play

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have found in a lot of cases bottom ball joint is the source of lots of knocks on a 307. Often its difficult to identify as it only happens when turning and/or at slow speed. If you jack the car up to check the suspension moves and masks the play. I have found leaving the car on the ground and using a lever on the bottom arm can often be the only way to find the movement/play
Thanks ye i changed the bottom ball joint and there doent seem any play any where? And it just pasted the mot. Its just there was no noise at all till the garage first changed the spring then i had a noise and pulling to left so went back, they said its the shock so they replace the shock and charged me, drove away noise still there went back to garage they changed the top mount. Charged me, still there went back they said it was a calipper changed that charged me. Then the tyre. Still noise over bumps so i did the ball joint. Had tracking done lots, i even had the leg off but still noise or clunck over bumps.
Im sure itscoming from the spring area or tge shock/ spring moving some how its turning so not top mount. Some witch craft happening. The cars mint con... such a shame. Im determined to find out whats up so i can sell it with confidence if i need to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks ye i changed the bottom ball joint and there doent seem any play any where? And it just pasted the mot. Its just there was no noise at all till the garage first changed the spring then i had a noise and pulling to left so went back, they said its the shock so they replace the shock and charged me, drove away noise still there went back to garage they changed the top mount. Charged me, still there went back they said it was a calipper changed that charged me. Then the tyre. Still noise over bumps so i did the ball joint. Had tracking done lots, i even had the leg off but still noise or clunck over bumps.
Im sure itscoming from the spring area or tge shock/ spring moving some how its turning so not top mount. Some witch craft happening. The cars mint con... such a shame. Im determined to find out whats up so i can sell it with confidence if i need to.
I think its the wrong spring fitted....

·
Registered
2007 Blue 206 1.4 Look 3dr petrol and 2003 blue 307 Rapier hdi 5dr 2 litre turbo diesel.
9 Posts
Its probably the anti roll bar or the anti roll bar bushes. My 307 has this problem almost every couple of years its a common problem

·
Registered
2007 Blue 206 1.4 Look 3dr petrol and 2003 blue 307 Rapier hdi 5dr 2 litre turbo diesel.
9 Posts
Its probably not the steering rack, it would become really bad over a period of time and you'd definitely notice the steering being really bad and vague if it was. Most likely its a connection of some sort, may be as simple as a loose bolt.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts