Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
307 SW 2002 2 litre HDi. I changed both wishbones last October, just before the MOT as they had issued an advisory the previous year. When I did the RH one I had to compress the spring to get the wishbone off and back on the balljoint. On test driving I had a lot of noise when turning. Turned out when I released the spring it didn't seat properly at the top. So I reset this, and the bad noise on turning went. But since then there has always been a slight soft rattle going over small bumps, which sounds harder when turning right at the same time. MOT man didn't comment on this, and car passed with no faults. This noise has been getting a bit worse, definitely from the front RH side I think at the top.
Yesterday I replaced the top suspension mount and swivel bearing. I could see no problem with the rubber mount, but the bearing was worn.
However, the noise is still there, so I have run out of ideas.
To recap, its a soft rubbery rattle over small bumps, but gets a much harsher sound when turning right and going over a small bump.
When I did the wishbone I checked the ball joints, and both seemed good, no slack at all.
I checked yesterday with a crowbar under the wheel to lift it, and again could feel no play anywhere. No movement at the top suspension mount either.
The anti roll bar bushes seem good, no movement there that I can find, but I will change them anyway once I have found the right type. ECP list the one for my car as 21mm, but mine is 23mm.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, and there is absolutely no play there. Plus it was making this noise before the MOT, and I know the MOT guy well enough (been going there for 20+ years now) to know he would say if he found anything wrong, but not bad enough to warrant an advisory.

What I am trying to work out is what component could do this, and react differently when the wheel is turned to the right. Yes, I had thought of the track rod end.

These noises are very hard to trace, sitting in the car, which is the only way to hear it, it is difficult to establish exactly where it comes from, but it is in the front RH side.

·
7,227 Posts
If drop links and bottom ball joints ok I would look at strut top mount. If they are a bit worn/old then they can fall apart when load is removed from them by compressing coil springs

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I replaced the top mount. Bearing was worn but not the remaining bits as far as I could see.
Got some anti roll bar bushes on order. Went to Euro Car Parts - "Any part for any car" - and they found the right bush in their list, but said they were unavailable.

I got a pair of top mounts, so I'm going to replace the nearside one too, then I can see if there is any difference between them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've found the anti roll bar d-bushes cause all sorts of clunks and noises and garages seldom ever pick up on them.

For the sake of about £10ish, might be worth a look?

I replaced half of my suspension setup before trying them and although the other parts may have had an impact, it was the d-bushes that made the biggest difference..

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a pair being delivered, so I'll fit them as soon as they arrive. Fingers crossed. The car has now done 174k miles, I got it at 74k and I know they have never been done in that time.

·
Registered
287 Posts
my car is going in for propably new wishone ball joint track rod ends and drop links. since these cost nothing maybe i should just replace them as i too have clunking at low speed. so might as well get em done while they have the car.

·
7,227 Posts
Also try grease on anti roll bar clamps where the round bar on rear of clamp hooks onto subframe they can make a noise even when fully tight. Also had a slight knock on one which was loose rack bolt sometimes they get loosened in error when changing arms or dropping sub frame

·
Registered
287 Posts
looks like im in the same boat. Just had car looked at by garage expected a heavty repair bill. Nope couldnt find any play in any ball joins, track rods or tie end or even the drop links.

none of the bushes are as bad as the MOT make out they dont need replaced certainly.

·
7,227 Posts
Also worth checking bottom ball joints with wheels on ground. I had one 307 that when jacked up felt fine but with weight on joint it had slight play and would knock when going over small bumps when turning

·
Registered
287 Posts
Also worth checking bottom ball joints with wheels on ground. I had one 307 that when jacked up felt fine but with weight on joint it had slight play and would knock when going over small bumps when turning
they checked it both with wheels on the ramp and also jacked up. they put it on the ramp had a look around really gave everything a good pull and then jacked the front up while on the ramp and again was really going at it on droplinks and track rods.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Also try grease on anti roll bar clamps where the round bar on rear of clamp hooks onto subframe they can make a noise even when fully tight. Also had a slight knock on one which was loose rack bolt sometimes they get loosened in error when changing arms or dropping sub frame
Deffo agree here..

I managed to source some new clamps with plastic inserts here to rectify this noise..

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I fitted the new anti roll bar bushes today, and can confirm that it has made no difference whatsoever. The old bushes were is remarkably good condition. There was a plastic liner at the front of each clamp, still in good condition but I still added a bit of grease.

Now I'm not a believer in co-incidence, and usually work to the rule, if something goes wrong just after you have done another job around the same part, you probably did something to cause it.
As I said at the start, this noise started immediately after I replaced the offside wishbone, when I compressed the spring to get the ball joint back on, and when I released the spring it didn't seat properly at the top, causing a lot of noise when turning the wheel. Compressed it again and made sure it was seated properly, then this noise started. I have since replaced the top mounting on that side too.

The noise is a soft rubbery rattle, a bit box like, but becomes a much harder sound when turning right and going over a small bump.

The car passed its MOT after this noise started, and the tester didn't mention it. If there had been any play in the lower ball joint, I'm sure he would have noticed and said something. But anyway I checked that it was quite solid when I had the wishbone off.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well I fitted the new anti roll bar bushes today, and can confirm that it has made no difference whatsoever. The old bushes were is remarkably good condition. There was a plastic liner at the front of each clamp, still in good condition but I still added a bit of grease.

Now I'm not a believer in co-incidence, and usually work to the rule, if something goes wrong just after you have done another job around the same part, you probably did something to cause it.
As I said at the start, this noise started immediately after I replaced the offside wishbone, when I compressed the spring to get the ball joint back on, and when I released the spring it didn't seat properly at the top, causing a lot of noise when turning the wheel. Compressed it again and made sure it was seated properly, then this noise started. I have since replaced the top mounting on that side too.

The noise is a soft rubbery rattle, a bit box like, but becomes a much harder sound when turning right and going over a small bump.

The car passed its MOT after this noise started, and the tester didn't mention it. If there had been any play in the lower ball joint, I'm sure he would have noticed and said something. But anyway I checked that it was quite solid when I had the wishbone off.
its going to be one of those annoying ones that takes ages to find, like i said the local garage had a good look around and thought the MOT tester was a bit over the top saying my bushes were deterorated.

I too have this sort of noise, along with a squelch going over those rediciouslous speed bumps at tesco carparks where you have to slow down slower than 10mph but it only happens if you go over straight (ie both wheels at same time) never happens when 1 wheel goes over first then the other.

im not too bothered about it, the caars driving pretty well and now i know my wishbones and ball joints are fine and not going to suddenly seperate just going to live with it.

i want to renew the suspension when i have the money for the parts (replace the shocks and springs) so when that time comes ill probably have the upper bushes and bearings replaced and have them check the steering rack.

im taking this as a good sign that the garage original advised me that it would be around £400 in labour + parts to £140 labour plus parts including wheel alignment after looking at it.

I rechecked my left front wheel and can no longer find the notchyness that i thought i felt before.

whats the saying ?> " if its not broke dont fix it" Meh... its still annoying though.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have found that turning the radio up loud does help.
Bit like that cure for a headache, get someone to stamp on your toe.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I couldnt find any play in my old ball joints.....but when I replaced them as they just looked a bit "old".....I also have a morbid fear of my wheel collapasing and looking like a plank in the middle of the road,the noise dissapeared. Even the smallest bit of wear can make a hell of a racket..... IMO .

I also do my own work on my car so it only costs me for parts...I understand this approach would prove expensive for others who rely on garages. :(

·
Registered
344 Posts

Is it normal to compress the spring to reconnect the ball joint? I've never had to do this...

I can only think the spring still isn't seated properly at the top or the spring itself is damaged.

I suppose the only way to find out for sure is to remove the entire strut and see what's going on.. although this is a pretty awkward job I know..

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have removed the entire strut and replaced the top mounting. The spring is definitely properly seated now.

OK, how does one check the lower ball joints with the weight of the car on them? I've tried pushing the car side to side and can feel no play.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well got it up on ramps and had a good look underneath again. The RH spring didn't look straight, and was quite badly corroded, so bought a new pair.
Fitted them both, also checked the top mounts again, ensuring they are lined up properly with the indents on the body, put it all back together very carefully, and guess what, the noise is still there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts