Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know an answer to this

I have a Kenwood 5 channel amp which works great I have a vibe dual coil subwoofer

Noticed last week the sub would work then cut off

Took all wiring apart from the sub all the way to the amp. No other speakers are affected

After doing this it was the same

I plugged in an old sub and that didn’t seem to cut out so I assume the amp is fine

The wiring for the dual coil is bridges between one coil to the other. The sub says it’s 2 ohms

If I only connect to 1 set of coils what ohms will it be running at to make sure I don’t damage the amp

Will test if it cuts out today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
5,670 Posts
Resistance will be 4 ohms. Amp should say what impedance it can run. If you don't overdrive it should be fine to test

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
441 Posts
Does anyone know an answer to this

I have a Kenwood 5 channel amp which works great I have a vibe dual coil subwoofer

Noticed last week the sub would work then cut off

Took all wiring apart from the sub all the way to the amp. No other speakers are affected

After doing this it was the same

I plugged in an old sub and that didn’t seem to cut out so I assume the amp is fine

The wiring for the dual coil is bridges between one coil to the other. The sub says it’s 2 ohms

If I only connect to 1 set of coils what ohms will it be running at to make sure I don’t damage the amp

Will test if it cuts out today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How low a load (Ohm) is the amp capable of handling on the 5th (assuming that's what you're using for the sub) channel, 2 Ohm?

Connecting only one 2 Ohm coil will, surprise ;) , show the amp a 2 Ohm load.

Given a DVC, 2 Ohm/coil, sub:
If you wire the two coils in parallel (+ to + and to + on the amp, - to - and - on amp) You will create a 1 Ohm load. Unless it's a dedicated sub amp / mono block, the amp is likely to have issues with that.

Wiring the two coils in series (+ of one to - on the other, and the 'free' + and - to the amp) you create a 4 Ohm load, which any amp should be capable of handling, but it will put out less power than into a 2 Ohm load.

Note - If you're running the sub off a pair of bridged channels, beware that if each individual channel is stable down to 2 Ohm when not bridged, the bridged pair is usually only stable down to 4 Ohm.

If the amp is capable of handling a 2 Ohm load on the 5th channel, a DVC, 4 Ohm/coil, wired in parallel, or a SVC 2 Ohm, would be the best match.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts