Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been taking the dash out of my car to swap it for another in better condition and while trying to take the T50 steering wheel bolt off it has stripped. I've tried hammering a T55 in to it, I've tried hammering a allen key socket in to it but no luck. What are my options? Is there anyway to take the steering wheel off without taking that bolt off? I have another donor car with a steering wheel.

I need to have the car back together by Thursday for work

Attachments

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Are you sure you turned it the right way they are not normally that tight you could use a chisel on the edge of the bolt to force it round once started it should come out easily enough

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cut a slot in it. Then go buy a correct replacement :thumb:
My dremel isn't working so I'm going to try an extractor bit. And I don't have a flat head socket big enough. If that doesn't work I might have to get a welder to weld an Allen key socket in it

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bolts are the same but 2007 cars are facelifted you may find wiring differences it could be a can of worms :)
I couldn't see much differences in wiring on the donor car for the dashboard because I used that today as a guide for refitting the electrical connectors in my car. There was one cable that wasn't there on the donor car but it's in my dash so I can use that. As long as the wiring for the seats, the rail bolts for the seats and the rear seats fit the same then I'm okay with not having the dash out of it. I just checked the wiring under the steering wheel cover on the donor car and that's the same too, I managed to remove the bolt from the donor car quite easy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You could try welding an old allen key to it. You would then have the leverage to get it undone.
That is my plan if I can't get other methods to work. I'd have to find someone that isn't going to charge an arm and a leg to do it though. I'm going to buy a chisel today and some bolt extractors to see if I can get it out with those

·
Registered
317 Posts
The alternative is to drill it out. You would have to be really careful not to damage the threads though. A small hole down the centre and then gradually increase the diameter until you are nearly there and then use bolt extractors.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
A good sharp chisel on the edge of the bolt. It needs to be at an angle that allows it to dig into the bolt so that when you then try and hit it to rotate the bolt the chisel has some meat to utilise otherwise you will just be skimming the edge of the bolt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've tried everything I can today, tried a chisel and hammer at an angle, I've tried getting an extractor in there but it won't bite, I don't have drill bits for metal and I've spent hours trying to hammer a t55 in to it but it won't budge. I'm taking the car up to a welder and I've hammered an allen bit I don't use in to it so he can weld it. Should I be worried about the heat from the welder damaging the cables?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts