Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my engine light came on today.
A few minutes later, after taking off from a red light, the car cut out about 15m down the road. It didn't start immediately, but started about a minute later, no problem, just like normal. The same thing happened several more times while trying to make it home, before the mad Friday traffic.

It mostly happens a few seconds after taking off, but happened a few times when I was slowing down to a stop, about the 15km/h mark. There's also a random single knock about 2 seconds after I change from 2nd to 3rd gear, doesn't feel gear related. Kind of a clunk. Not sure if it's related, it feels kind of drive-shaftie.

The final time it happened, about a km from home, the red stop light came on, with a picture of the oil can. But it started again and I got home fine.

Temps are fine. fluid levels are fine, and it runs perfectly once it's running, so that rules out a lot of things.

I had a similar problem last year, it was the fuel regulator, but this feels different. With the fuel regulator it cut out at low revs, as it was getting stuck, but this happens, perhaps 4-5 seconds after takeoff. The engine just cuts out dead. Feels more like an electronic cutoff, there's no chugging or spluttering.

If I try to restart it immediately, it won't start, but give it a minute and it starts again.

I think I may have a very slow coolant leak as well, and there was a random squeak coming from somewhere last week.

I have the EGR blocked off, and turned off. I did the timing belt about 2 years ago. And serviced about 6 months ago.

Anybody got thoughts before I go jacking up the car, and getting Peugeot Planet up and running?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I finally got Diagbox up and running and I'm getting the following codes:

P0087 Fuel high pressure regulation
Cause Local
Status Intermittent .
Fault characterisation Pressure below reference
Engine speed 1606 rpm
Diesel presure 0675 Bar
Diesel limited pressure 0965 Bar
Pump output 12949.02 Mm3/second
Diesel flow regulator voltage 2098 mV

P0093 Fuel high pressure regulation
Cause Local
Status Intermittent
Fault characterisation Pump regulation electrovalve opens less than the setting
Engine speed 1992 rpm
Diesel presure 0698 Bar
Diesel limited pressure 1192 Bar
Pump output 17831.38 Mm3/second
Diesel flow regulator voltage 2216 mV

So I'm thinking filter, pressure regulator, or pressure sensor.
Can anybody narrow this down from the codes and info?
I am due a fuel filter change, so I'll probably do that anyway but it'd be nice to know if I need a regulator or sensor as well.

As I said, I replaced the regulator last year but the symptoms were different. Similar, but different. That's not to say it isn't failing in a slightly different manner.

Also, I'm wondering if that the pump output above should be 17mm3/s? 17831mm3/s sounds like a lot. I think it works out to about a litre a minute!
Can anyone clarify?
If this is a totally bizarre reading then maybe the sensor is banjaxed..

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'd start with the fuel filter.

Mine had done 80k. The interval is 40k.
I would get fuel pressure errors, usually when asking for lots of fuel after a period of low fuel usage, e.g., setting off from lights.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd start with the fuel filter.

Mine had done 80k. The interval is 40k.
I would get fuel pressure errors, usually when asking for lots of fuel after a period of low fuel usage, e.g., setting off from lights.
Nice one. That sounds like it alright. I think I'll do the filter first, and make sure the shop have a sensor in stock as well, in case it doesn't fix it.

The final time it cut out that day was the worst. I was doing about 40mph, and I slowed down to about 30mph, and when I put the boot down again it stalled. It took about 2 minutes before it would start. I'm thinking that maybe it takes a minute or two for the crap to settle in the filter, before it'll start again?

I was also pretty low on fuel at that stage, the light was on, I just wanted to get it home. I didn't even want to stop for diesel in case it would stall when I was pulling out into traffic. Kind of scary if it stalled pulling out on to the road and there was a big truck coming towards you!

It's good to know those units aren't always correct. 1800 litres.. lol!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts