Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I wonder if anyone can help me identify a strange noise,recently i replaced the centre section of my exhaust, the car, a 307, 02 plated 2.0 xsi 138 petrol.soon after that my anti pollution light came on,then i got a sound just like the new pipe was seriously blowing,i've climbed around under the car while someone revs it and it definately is not blowing anywhere,but along with the blowing noise i get a loud hiss from the engine bay,so as i pop the throttle up and down quite fast i get a loud hiss then a load of what sounds like blowing,and as i rev so on and on,could it be the cat has collapsed? or something similar ? any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
thanks alot
Matt.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hey everyone,
I wonder if anyone can help me identify a strange noise,recently i replaced the centre section of my exhaust, the car, a 307, 02 plated 2.0 xsi 138 petrol.soon after that my anti pollution light came on,then i got a sound just like the new pipe was seriously blowing,i've climbed around under the car while someone revs it and it definately is not blowing anywhere,but along with the blowing noise i get a loud hiss from the engine bay,so as i pop the throttle up and down quite fast i get a loud hiss then a load of what sounds like blowing,and as i rev so on and on,could it be the cat has collapsed? or something similar ? any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
thanks alot
Matt.
It's definately not the CAT. Have you checked the turbo intake pipe? To me it sounds like a loss of vacum which is causing the hissing noise and anti pollution light... Best way to pin point is to check on planet..

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey scot, i don't have a turbo.... i was thinking the cat anybody have any ideas,i have spent a fortune on this car lately and am about done with it so anybody else have any clue ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Matt,

Could it be the flexible joint from the cat to the centre pipe, or perhaps even a crack in the manifold where the system has been disturbed?

I know you said it doesn't seem to be blowing anywhere, but sounds can get thrown around pretty well in the back of the engine bay. A couple of tips from my trade days.....Have somebody put a covered (tea towel or rag or something) hand over the rear tailpipe, and run the engine whilst follwing the exhaust along the car to see if you can pinpoint any leaks. Don't cover the exhaust for too long, maybe 15 seconds or so, then let it run for a minute, then repeat. The other trick is to get a piece of paper towel or kitchen roll and fan it out in your hand, move around the various joints on the exhaust and see if it flutters at any point - may sound a bit odd, but it works!

It is possible the cat has collapsed, usually you can hear the honeycomb rattling around if you can get at the cat to gve it a knock, but I guess it is hard to access. The only way to check is likely to be dropping the centre pipe, and getting a torch up into the underside of the cat to see whats what.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Mark.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts