Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

There is a strange 'ticking' noise coming out of my engine when accelerate, in low rpm only. It goes off when rpm gets over 1500. The turbo is alright as the noise appear only when driving. It seems the noise come out of the part that transfers the power when accelerating, but why on low rpm only?
Do you have any idea what it could be?

I usually change the gear when rpm goes over 2000 so I can always hear it for a moment on a higher gear. I was told it could be a flywheel and rather expensive to fix.

The car has got at the moment 98,000 on the clock.
I have changed the timing belt in 2006 when I bought the car.
It had 63,000 then so I guess it should still be fine.

The guy who said it could be a flywheel advised me that I change gear to early. I just try to be economic (so called eco-driving)

Usually, I change the gear when it reach 2000rpm so after chgange it is about 1400rpm. Very often even lower than that so for the moment engine works on very low voice (bass).
Perhaps this is the cause of same failure in the engine.... ???

The 'ticking' I mentioned is NOT the normal noise. It started about 2 months ago. It is like mechanical watch when you spin a winder and the clock goes very fast, if you know what I mean. It is difficult to describe.
What do you reckon?

·
Registered
534 Posts
First thoughts:
1. Unless someone else knows better (which is quite possible), I’d say the flywheel’s probably OK but the injectors may need cleaning and (possibly) the spray patterns re-adjusting.

As always, dose it with injector cleaner and see what happens. One sign is black smoke from the rear and a reduction in mpg.

2. Possible - turbo problems
3. Also possible - crankshaft pulley breaking up – very expensive if it fails, do check it. I had the thing fail on a Volvo but managed to get away without damage but I was lucky.

Usually, I change the gear when it reach 2000rpm so after change it is about 1400rpm. Very often even lower than that so for the moment engine works on very low voice (bass).
Perhaps this is the cause of same failure in the engine.... ???
AFAIK, the diesel engine performs most economically around 1800/ 2000 rpm – the way it is geared means that in top gear at 56mph/90Kph, you should be at max economy. (All car manufacturers did this because the mpg was measured at that speed.) So not much point going at fewer revs than that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts