Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled into a car park today and was just about to turn off the engine when I heard this strange intermittent noise coming from underneath the car. This was the first time that I'd heard the noise. I turned off the engine shortly after making this short video and left the car for approx. 20 minutes. When I returned and started the car, the noise had gone. However, I took the car for another run later and when I parked up on my drive on my return, the same noise appeared again intermittently.

Have a look at the video the video here ...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Is there something catching onto the exhaust?
That would make sense when you touch the accelerator, it vibrates the exhaust slightly.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there something catching onto the exhaust?
That would make sense when you touch the accelerator, it vibrates the exhaust slightly.
Cheers. :thumb:

Not sure. It's worse and louder when I am not touching the accelerator. I have the car booked in on Tuesday anyway for Firmware update, map updates and TomTom Live connection. I'll play the service people the video and see what they think. Sods law that it won't happen when I'm at actually the dealership! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Cheers. :thumb:

Not sure. It's worse and louder when I am not touching the accelerator. I have the car booked in on Tuesday anyway for Firmware update, map updates and TomTom Live connection. I'll play the service people the video and see what they think. Sods law that it won't happen when I'm at actually the dealership! :rolleyes:
Again that makes sense.
To explain:- When the engine is in idle mode you will find the exhaust will vibrate slowly but quite largely.
The second you touch the accelerator the vibration is much faster but not as large.
As such if something is knocking on the exhaust I would expect it to be noisier when at idle. :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It's the optional chaffcutter :lol:

Sounds like it's creeping on the brakes also ie still in D :confused: oops delete 'manual'

·
Registered
104 Posts
It sounds like it maybe a fan blade catching. I used to hear that kind of sound a lot when I worked on commercial fridge units with condenser fans. Could be the reason you do not hear it when you first start the engine as it will expand as the engine heats up and start catching. but I am sure your dealer's mechanic will identify the problem for you.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I pulled into a car park today and was just about to turn off the engine when I heard this strange intermittent noise coming from underneath the car. This was the first time that I'd heard the noise. I turned off the engine shortly after making this short video and left the car for approx. 20 minutes. When I returned and started the car, the noise had gone. However, I took the car for another run later and when I parked up on my drive on my return, the same noise appeared again intermittently.

Have a look at the video the video here ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj6oP1lQikg
Sounds to me like the dual mass flywheel (if it has one) is knackered.
Does the noise go when you dip the clutch?
If it does then I'm afraid the DMF is a real possibility.

I would think it's highly unlikely being a new car but not unheard of.
I don't even know if the 3008 has a DMF or a solid flywheel?

Grumpy

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As an update. Just back from the dealers' service department. I had been booked in for car firmware update (not done), map update (not done), TomTom Live activation (now showing TomTom Traffic in lower right hand of screen) and finally to get the noise sorted as in video.

I turned up at the dealership and the noise was there as usual after a longish drive. I left the car running and went to find a mechanic quickly, but couldn't see anyone nearby. I went back to the car but the noise had gone!

I went into the service department and told the manager what I was booked in for. After waiting about 45 minutes I was told that the car was ready. I asked if the noise had been identified and repaired and he said that they took it for a drive and could not hear a problem.

I got him to get my youtube video up on his computer and he watched it. He conceded that there was a noise there but said that nothing could be done unless a mechanic could hear the noise for themselves and try to see where it was coming from. I asked if a mechanic could come for a drive with me in the hope that the noise would recur. This was agreed and after a 6 mile drive we got back and still no noise! SODS LAW!

The mechanic said that he would put it up on the ramp and see if he could see anything. He came back and said that a couple of the heat shield plates were quite close together and so he prised them apart a bit in the hope that it was the problem.... time will tell!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^^thanks for the work involved in updating us......to me, the noise tallies with his fiddle.
Appreciate your interest and input. :thumb:

Noise hasn't reappeared this evening. Will keep an eye on it.

Cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts