Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peugeot 307 HDI 1.4 51 plate

This has happened a few times, the needle is getting close to the red on the fuel gauge, so i stop at the garage and put £10 of diesel in - but the needle doesn't move. Sometimes it will move back to about a quarter after a while (which is where it should be with a £10 fuel in) but sometimes it doesn't.

Now, when it doesn't move, the fuel light will eventually come on prompting another visit to the garage - my question is, what would happen if i didn't go back, there is fuel in the tank so it shouldn't cut out, yet the ECU seems to be telling the car its running short.

Does this happen to anyone else, or is there a simple fix for it..?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Peugeot 307 HDI 1.4 51 plate

This has happened a few times, the needle is getting close to the red on the fuel gauge, so i stop at the garage and put £10 of diesel in - but the needle doesn't move. Sometimes it will move back to about a quarter after a while (which is where it should be with a £10 fuel in) but sometimes it doesn't.

Now, when it doesn't move, the fuel light will eventually come on prompting another visit to the garage - my question is, what would happen if i didn't go back, there is fuel in the tank so it shouldn't cut out, yet the ECU seems to be telling the car its running short.

Does this happen to anyone else, or is there a simple fix for it..?
sounds like its the sender unit in the tank

P

·
0 Posts
Takes more then £10 of fuel for my needle to move out of red. £10 doesn't seem to register much of an increase anymore.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm just curious to know would is conk out when the needle goes below a certain point even though there is fuel in the tank

C

·
0 Posts
Wouldnt think so as its only an indicator to let you know when to fuel up

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Similar questions have been asked on these forums a number of times and the general concensus is that with the price of fuel these days, £10 doesn't usually cause the guage to register additional fuel in the tank. I couldn't tell you if mine does or not as I generally fill the tank everytime I visit. On the odd occasion where I'm just topping up, I never put in less than £20. I also carry around 5 litres of diesel in a can just in case of emergency.

Fuel guages are only an indicator of the level of fuel in the tank. The car will only cut out if there is no longer any fuel coming out of the tank so to answer your original question the answer would be no. The trouble you would have would be guaging when you would need to go and put more fuel in before it ran dry.

£10 these days would buy you slightly more than 7 litres say a gallon and half so depending on your driving and fuel consumption you would be looking at around 60 miles, maybe a little more or even a little less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts