Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i am having a problem with my Peugeot 407 , 2.0 ltr Diesel. The car didn’t start this morning as obviously the battery was dead. I bought new battery and the car started perfectly with no problems. The problem is that i just tried to use the car but it has exactly the same problem as in the morning - no signs of battery life in fact its brand new. What could be the reason for this? Just to mention that the visible things like my head lights or the lights inside the car are off. So what could be the other reason ? Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No mate, the ignition lights dont come on. No lights at all on the dashboard. But 3 hours ago when i put the new battery it was ok. I drove for a while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply by the way. I don’t know how to check if its charged above 12.4. I thought it should be charged in fact it is a brand new battery.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
You would need a voltmeter or multimeter. I am just trying to ascertain if the battery has charge or has gone flat [if car has a significant current drain].

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Battary dead, so you put a new battery in. Did you run the car for any distance once the new one was fitted or did you just start it then turn it off and leave it?

New batteries are rarely fully charged and need some time running to get fully charged.

But it would seem that you may have some significant drain on the battery too. You will have to get the new battery charged up as soon as you can otherwise it will become a doorstop.
You then need to find out if something is discharging the battery.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
If you don't have a multimeter, buy one with a clamp sensor incorporated. Then you will be able to put it round the earth cable of the battery, and read if there is a current drain when the car is standing.

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
May not be the battery could also be a bad connection on 1 terminal of battery leading to what SEEMS a dead battery.

A drain is possible but a new battery is unlikely to go dead after a few hours without a high load on it.

Short inside alternator could drain battery even when not running.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts