Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey again

So I have 308 Allure, 1.6 diesel. Cat comes with stop/Start technology. However I've had the car about just under 2mths and the stop/start has probably only worked handful of times. In fact it's rare and I've been in traffic and stationery position.... Its got a mind of its own. Manual does say at certain times points it may not kick in, but I've had no heating or fan nor radio... Engine has sufficiently warmed and yet still rarely works.

Anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
73 Posts
How new is your battery? More often than not if you're battery is holding less than 80-85% charge then the system won't function. Do you see the green S&S icon coming on in the dash and flashing? If so, that means the system is working correctly and is not engaging S&S because one or more of the required criteria have not been met.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's the original battery. I have 64 plate. When I come to stop or anything, like being in traffic... The green ECO sign will flash about three times then go off. I did read that this is normal and that as you said, certain conditions have not been met

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the exact same issue (2015 model) - the car still had the original battery, this was changed & now the Stop/Start works as it should 😄 cost £120 fitted

·
Registered
73 Posts
Even if your car had an original 5 year guarantee battery, which I doubt, it'd still be past it's best. Green light 3 times means the system is working so some condition is not being met and my first guess is battery. I'm assuming here of course that you wear your seatbelt when driving, lol!

·
Registered
73 Posts
As an aside, don't skimp on the battery, pay money to get a good brand and make sure that its equal to or above the starting amps of the original battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Always wear seat belt lol. I have a Bosch garage and I think at some point I'll get car in for change of battery. As long as its working as should, just means certain conditions aren't met. So no rush to get sorted. Many prefer without S/S technology

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Many of my friends disable the stop/start the moment the engine starts.
My 2015 battery had to be replaced at 3.5 years old due to the S/S not working. It is now fitted in a van and works perfectly well where there is no S/S.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I guess a lot depends on the conditions in which you drive. IF you do a lot of motorway miles then you're unlikely to notice S&S that much. Similarly, if you're driving around places where traffic flows freely with the exception of red lights, S&S will probably be ideal. If however you spend a lot of time in constant stop and start traffic jams, moving inches at a time and creeping along, I can imagine S&S would become tiresome pretty quickly.

Personally I find S&S okay and barring the situation mentioned above, I'm happy to leave it running (this is why it comes with a button I guess). I would say though that I find the S&S in the 308 a little too 'eager' at times. The S&S in our Suzuki Swift is somewhat easier to live with because it waits just that extra second or two to shut down when you come to a stop. The place I notice this most is if you come to an unregulated junction but have restricted visibility and need to ease out gently. You can be just coming to a stop for an instant before continuing on and sometimes it feels like you've caught the car off guard and it was already prepping itself to shut down when you then try to ease out into the road. It's rare but that's why I notice it, because it isn't all the time.

Ultimately in @Diana90v's case, S&S has served as a useful warning that the cars battery is probably past its best and in need of a change. Without this warning, it's likely you could have continued to use the car without noticing that with a weakened battery you were putting extra load on the starting components as they'd have to work harder to start the car, potentially leading to an avoidable failure.

I like Varta or Yuasa batteries but there are of course plenty of other good brands.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Ultimately in @Diana90v's case, S&S has served as a useful warning that the cars battery is probably past its best and in need of a change. Without this warning, it's likely you could have continued to use the car without noticing that with a weakened battery you were putting extra load on the starting components as they'd have to work harder to start the car, potentially leading to an avoidable failure.
True, but the warning of complete failure is years earlier than it need be, The battery will continue to start the car for a very long time after the SS stops operating.
As I said, I replaced the original battery in my car two years ago. It is still starting a 2 litre diesel in a van very reliably.

To be honest, I think the "intelligent charging" is the main cause of early battery failure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
True, but the warning of complete failure is years earlier than it need be, The battery will continue to start the car for a very long time after the SS stops operating.
As I said, I replaced the original battery in my car two years ago. It is still starting a 2 litre diesel in a van very reliably.

To be honest, I think the "intelligent charging" is the main cause of early battery failure.
Perhaps I should have said 'indicator' rather than 'warning'. Ultimately what the S&S system is doing is identifying a weakened battery and protecting that battery from the risk of further degradation as a result of extra start cycles.

The battery is surely still far away from complete catastrophic failure but then that's pretty rare in car batteries. More often than not they just weaken to the point they can't start the car they're installed in reliably and get changed (and ideally recycled!)

Having said that, a weakening battery will generally only continue to get weaker and as it does, it becomes more susceptible to things like hot/cold snaps, forgetting to turn your lights off and so on. In any case, probably still best to get it changed when you're able and ensure your car is kept in tip-top condition!

·
Registered
52 Posts

Very true, as we have detailed many times here in three past.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi guys my stop start hasn't worked since I got the car last year.

Just got it back from the dealership after having timing belt and clutch replaced and the stop start is working..

Out if curiosity does anybody have any idea why?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Could be to do with the clutch. Not sure if the car has any detection of a worn clutch and decides not to enable S&S. Did they change anything else, even seemingly small stuff?

·
Registered
74 Posts
The last time my car was in Peugeot for work, they put the battery on charge - maybe they have charged it enough so now the S/S is able to work

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey again

So I have 308 Allure, 1.6 diesel. Cat comes with stop/Start technology. However I've had the car about just under 2mths and the stop/start has probably only worked handful of times. In fact it's rare and I've been in traffic and stationery position.... Its got a mind of its own. Manual does say at certain times points it may not kick in, but I've had no heating or fan nor radio... Engine has sufficiently warmed and yet still rarely works.

Anyone else noticed this?
I have had 3 2008 with stop start and each have developed this problem. If the green light flashes when you stop it is working and you can recover this problem by doing a full overnight charge, or if the battery is old, you may need a new (stop start) batteryq

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Hi guys my stop start hasn't worked since I got the car last year.

Just got it back from the dealership after having timing belt and clutch replaced and the stop start is working..

Out if curiosity does anybody have any idea why?
I'll bet they charged the battery.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts