Peugeot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

stop start with auto

8K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Beau 
#1 ·
Okay, i've had my current car four days, and i hate the stop start already.

It's a 1.2 auto, and quite frankly the stop /start system is ludicrous. I've had a stop start before in a manual qashqai, and it only stopped when putting taking it out of gear.

The stop start on the Peugeot automatic literally stops the engine at every single opportunity, in a fraction of a second. This means that when pulling up at a junction, roundabout etc the thing shuts down and pretty much starts again instantly as you go to drive off. What's the point of that? It potentially delays my driving away from the roundabout or junction smoothly.

I know i can switch it off, but as we all know it just resets itself. What a pain ! It would make far more sense for it to cut out only when putting it into neutral, or at least have a delay so its not going off every single time the traffic slows.

#2 ·
As you point out, the engine starts again "instantly" so I don't see how it will delay the driving. The engine is restarted faster than it takes to move the foot from the brake to accelerator.

Engine only stops if the car is in a complete stand-still and the foot is on the brake.

The only time I find it annoying is when parking carefully due to some object in front of the car. Engine may turn of several times when optimizing the last inches. Getting used to it though.

There may be a setting to increase the time before engine is turned of, to a few seconds. I have a vague memory that I have seen it. Perhaps someone knows.

#4 ·
The only time I find it annoying is when parking carefully due to some object in front of the car. Engine may turn of several times when optimizing the last inches. Getting used to it though.
Taking your seat belt off will stop S/S stopping when parking/entering a garage etc.

I don't personally have any problems with S/S, I have though altered how I drive a little, I am in a small town with not that much traffic so when in queue's of traffic I leave a bit more distance between me and the car in front and if I judge it correctly, inching forward, I don't have to actually stop that often, when at a roundabout I can either anticipate and take my foot off the brake 1/2 second before I need to accelerate or with my auto box slip into Neutral and then straight back into Drive and the engine will start ready for a quick take off. I don't suppose this would work well in London traffic (for example) but it does for me where I live :thumb:

#5 ·
I've had a stop start before in a manual qashqai, and it only stopped when putting taking it out of gear.

The stop start on the Peugeot automatic literally stops the engine at every single opportunity, in a fraction of a second. This means that when pulling up at a junction, roundabout etc the thing shuts down and pretty much starts again instantly as you go to drive off. What's the point of that? It potentially delays my driving away from the roundabout or junction smoothly.
Holding an automatic on the brake is the equivalent of being out of gear in a manual - how is the car meant to know if you're at a junction and you might want to move off again next second?

I started a thread entitled 'Stop/ Start - when to use?', in which people dismissed my question and came to the conclusion that some clever engineer has set this thing up, just go with it.

I do agree, in general, with this point - the system is designed to save fuel and so you either just leave it to do its own thing or turn it off if you don't like it.

In my manual, if the system stops the engine and I depress the clutch (thus turning it back on), the engine won't stop again until I've driven a bit. I've heard similar is true for the auto in that if you only gently press the brake or if you release the brake (causing the engine to restart) and then hold the car on the brake again, the engine won't be stopped.

The point above is a good one though, I find the system gets the engine running again very quickly and although it's a tad disconcerting having the engine off when I'm in the middle of a box junction, you just have to trust it will be back on when you need it - and it's not let me down so far.

#6 ·
Holding an automatic on the brake is the equivalent of being out of gear in a manual - how is the car meant to know if you're at a junction and you might want to move off again next second? .
exactly, it doesnt, so a simple delay would have made more sense. Then it would only have cut off when in traffic, and not during regular driving when you stop at a junction whilst you look if its clear.

Holding a car on the brake in an automatic isn't the same as being out of gear in a manual. Putting it in neutral is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.