Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I'm having problems with what I think is due to the Auxillary drive belt slipping.

I have a 308 1.6 e-hdi diesel with stop/start technology and it's a 62 plate.

Just recently I started to hear the occasional 'fan belt squeal' noise, mostly when the engine is cold and I pull off, more recently I noticed a fast light tapping/knocking noise on idle that goes away as soon as I apply a few revs.

I though it could be the Aux belt that was worn/stretched which could cause both the noise and the failure to restart the engine, as it uses the alternator to restart the engine when the stop/start system is active.

After seeing that it was relatively easy to replace the belt I put a new one on this morning, as it was just a case of pulling back the tensioner, inserting a 4mm drill bit to 'lock off' the tensioner and then remove/replace the belt.

This all went well, and the engine did seem quieter without the rattle sound, however as I took it for a drive I got a squeal from the belt and the stop/start failed to work again, it just made a similar squeal sound.

Could it be the tensioner that is knackered? it did take quite a bit of force to pull it back when I removed the belt, but I had expected the position to be quite different with the new belt on, however as the before and after images show, the tensioner looks like it's rotated to virtually the same position.

Any ideas? I'm hoping it's not the alternator :/

old belt

new belt

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Having just spoken to a Peugeot dealer I now have confirmation that there are in fact two belt tensioners on this model.

I'd assumed the lower one was just a guide wheel! I'll have to take a closer look at that one, as I reckon that's the one causing the trouble and would explain why fitting a new belt made no difference and why the top tensioner is in the same position as before.

For others looking for help with this, the part numbers for the auxillary drive belts for my 308 62 plate e-hdi 1.6 diesel with stop/start are:

Top tensioner: 1611426180
Lower tensioner: 1611426580

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, to be honest i thought I'd added all relevant information, I guess in my mind I knew what I was saying but just forgot to add the info!

Point taken, not that I was being impatient by replying to my own post, just updating it and trying to add useful info to help others.

Anyway I've added the vehicle details, so hopefully someone can help me further.

I'd like to know how difficult it would be to replace the lower tensioner.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
read point 6 again as i think you missed this bit "If you want specific parts information or diagrams or part locations then post the last 8 digits of your VIN."

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, that's brilliant.

Yes, it's part no.9 that I think must be faulty, can't quite make out how or where it bolts on, but hoping that it can be replaced from above, otherwise I guess I'd need to remove the wheel/wheel arch liner.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Fixed

Thought I'd post the outcome to this problem.

I ordered a new replacement lower tensioner, it was a 'Gates' branded one, for £17.45 from buycarparts, the Peugeot dealer quoted me £70, I know this may not be as good as the peugeot part, but then again that only lasted about 3 years!

Although a bit awkward, I managed to change the part from under the bonnet, as the old tensioner was knackered there was no pressure against the belt.

The old tensioner has a spilt in the metal body, and there is a rattle sound when I shake it.

Apart from a couple of scraped knuckles it wasn't too bad and took me about 45mins ( in the rain! ) and just requires a 10mm socket and ratchet.

The engine now sounds quieter as well, as obviously the old tensioner was just rattling about.

Hope this helps others.

( notice the position of the top tensioner, the 'pointer' is now in the centre of the lug which is cast onto the part to show it's tensioned correctly, compared to my earlier photo )

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just noticed a 'Gates' logo on the original Peugeot tensioner, so they are probably exactly the same.

Glad I never spent £70 at the dealers!

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Gates are regarded as a quality brand for belts so their tensioners should be decent quality. Do you have an engine undertray fitted, if not the alternator and belt will be exposed to the elements and this may have contributed to the tensioner failure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well that's good to know, although I think that the stop/start system may be the cause of the early failure og the tensioner.

There is obviously more force being placed on the belt than normal, as the alternator uses it to re-start the engine.

Wouldn't surprise me to find many failures like this on the stop/start models.

And yes, it has an undertray fitted, the tensioner has a split in it's casing, but the casing itself isn't corroded, it's just through wear and tear I think, or maybe a manufacturing fault.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know it's an old post, but wanted to just add that I had exactly the same issue on my 65 plate 3008. Squealing belt noise at restart on stop/start (ECO mode), engine failure (car dies) with various errors shown on the dash (seat belt pretensioner/airbag warning), ECO mode also disabled when I restart on the key. Re-enabled ECO mode and it did it again, all drives okay with ECO mode disabled - apart from the diesel engine sounds like and old transit van! No fault codes logged in the register. So it went into my local Peugeot dealer and they have diagnosed the lower belt tensioner (which is part of the stop/start circuit from the alternator). It's being replaced tomorrow, so fingers crossed for a positive outcome, and hopefully improved MPG, less noise and no dying at stop/start.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts