Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to keep asking daft questions. I've done a search but not found the answer.

The stop start on mine seems to work well, but stopped in a queue for some time and the engine restarted every time after about 40 seconds. No input or changes from me, it just started up for no obvious reason.
Do they all do that? Did the designer assume you would never have to wait for longer than that?

·
Registered
881 Posts
No. It's started because of reason unknown for us, but good enough for him :) Can be stopped even for few minutes. Don't bother, you keep doing your job - he will do his (according more or less complicated algorithms voltage, temperature, capacitor state .....)
And yes, my car sometimes acting like this and sometime run all day without stop.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The 'stop/start' is governed by factors according to how you have the car set regarding lighting, air-con, outside temperature, battery condition etc, etc.

The system will override and start the engine if it deems necessary to maintain everything.

On a hot summer day with the air-con set to a low temperature it probably won't turn off at all.

I turn mine off as soon as I start the engine as I find it an unpredictable function I can do without. I wish it could be programmed the other way so that it's off unless I choose to activate it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
On a hot summer day S&S system switch off itself completely while is outside temperature is above 34 degrees C. When demisting is activated, engine would not stop. Actually, here it is what manual say:
STOP mode is not invoked principally when:
- the vehicle is on a steep slope (up or
down),
- the driver's door is open,
- the driver's seat belt is not fastened,
- the vehicle has not exceeded 6 mph (10 km/h)
since the last engine start by the driver,
- the electric parking brake is applied or
being applied,
- the engine is needed to maintain a
comfortable temperature in the passenger
compartment,
- demisting is active,
- some special conditions (battery charge,
engine temperature, braking assistance,
ambient temperature...) where the engine is
needed to assure control of a system.
In this case, the "ECO" warning lamp
flashes for a few seconds then goes
off.
This operation is perfectly normal.

Further:
The presence of this label, in particular
with the Stop & Start system, indicates
the use of a 12 V lead-acid battery with
special technology and specification;
the involvement of a PEUGEOT dealer
or a qualified workshop is essential
when replacing or disconnecting the
battery.
After refitting the battery, the Stop &
Start system will only be active after a
continuous period of immobilisation of the
vehicle, a period which depends on the
climatic conditions and the state of charge
of the battery (up to about 8 hours)

Anyhow, I find no reason to switch the system of by myself, when in Stop, engine started before I put in the 1st, so no difference engine run or not.
Actually, when I'm in car I almost forget that this system do something at all.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I can confirm that the application of the parking brake has no effect on the stop start. Several times I have stopped, engine turned off and I applied the parking brake. It had no effect.
In the case where it turned on after 40 seconds (several times, enough to allow me to actually check the time) it was cool outside, no heating, demisting or air con in use. Doors didn't open and seat belts were not undone. It was also at the end of a 250 mile run so the battery would not have been down.
Also I crept forwards slowly, probably under the speed mentioned above, and again when I stopped the engine cut for 40 seconds again.

But I wasn't talking about the system not activating. It did activate, but restarted after 40 seconds each time for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
881 Posts
In my case everything looks OK. Opening door, engaging parking brake or releasing drivers seat belt start the engine. Trying to turning the steering wheel while in Stop resulting with starting the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would say it's essential to be able to use the parking brake when stopped, otherwise you would have to keep your foot on the brake, blinding the person behind.
Indeed in the UK our highway code encourages us not to use the footbrake when stopped in traffic. So maybe things are designed different for this market. In any case I would not want that specific part changed.
But I would like to know if there is a built in time limit for the engine to be stopped.

·
Registered
881 Posts
My engine can stay in stopped mode for few minutes. Engine should start (or not go in Stop) when engage parking brake because of security reason - this way you can not forget to switch off your engine before step out of car and go home. Otherwise, engine can start and you don't for that. Unless you have to walk more then 40 sec :)

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But you already said the engine will start if the driver door is opened, and it's unlikely you could get out of the car without opening it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.