Peugeot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah, I consider myself lucky then. Mine doesn't work most of the time and I don't miss that function at all. I think it's useless and many experts feel the same (according to many articles regarding this function). It only starts for a while if I travel (one trip) at least 500km or when I charge my battery with my CTEK MXS 5.0.
Yes. I’m with you. Bad design, poor functionality. I always switch it off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've now been offered £130 towards a new battery by Robins & day who sold me the 2008 car 3 months ago. I will ask for the old battery back so if anyone wants a battery which won't let your stop start work give me a shout lol. Does anyone know which is the best battery to get as I can't find any info on best brands etc ? Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've now been offered £130 towards a new battery by Robins & day who sold me the 2008 car 3 months ago. I will ask for the old battery back so if anyone wants a battery which won't let your stop start work give me a shout lol. Does anyone know which is the best battery to get as I can't find any info on best brands etc ? Thanks
Would also like to know

·
Registered
358 Posts
Varta / Bosch ( same company makes both )
I had Bosch two times in my life. Both were disappointing. These were not holding power after a year or two. I guess in my country Bosch batteries are fake or made for/in the former Soviet countries. They are expensive but crap honestly. I would buy anything else with a less known name. And car garage people do usually suggest something else here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Plenty people do complain of it not working and what most are doing is charging the battery fully it will then work.

Problem is the system needs a fully charged battery to work but peugeots latest version of smart charging does not fully charge the battery !

Charging overnight will get it working but its really something peugeot should address properly it would need a redesign of the charging system though so your stuck with it !

Purchased my 2017 GT180 3weeks ago and stop/start has worked every time over 300 miles of short runs. Prior to this had a DS Prestige with the same 2ltr engine that would only work if battery charged and eventually replaced under warranty and again worked for 1 week before giving up.

Not a fan of the stop/start system but if its fitted at least it should work and was more annoying that there was a problem that multi visits to dealer couldn't identify and was just fobbed off with "you have to do longer journeys or charge it overnight."

My 3008 has worked more in the 3 weeks of ownership then the 2 years I had the DS! Just hope it keeps working.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Batteries like everything else have a finite lifespan and start to deteriorate from the very first charge. I read somewhere that it is recommended to change any car battery after 3 years so with that in mind, a car purchased in 2017 with the original battery has a battery that will likely need replacing sooner rather than later. I also read that the stop/start system uses a capacitor but a capacitor isn't really a battery replacement. They are used simply to supply a short boost of power then will recharge. I know that supercapacitors are used in place of a battery in some circumstances but these are generally low voltage and low current draws. The only applications I have personally come across of using a capacitor as a battery replacement is for memory retention or in place of a computer bios battery.

With a battery trickle chatge re-enabling the stop/start then very quickly the SS sytem disabling itself, my opinin would be that this is proof that the battery can no longer hold charge sufficiently for the ss sytem. A simple test would be to connect a known good battery if one was available and test it before going out and purchasing a replacement.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Supercaps have advanced heavily over the past years. A Supercap approximately the size of a car's battery can easily provide 100A of current for a time span of 10-20s. They recharge quickly too.

But like you said, Batteries usually have a life span of 3 to 5 years, after that they need replacing if the car is expected to be reliable. Supercaps age too, not so fast like the batteries do, but they also have a limited life time.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here we go again I spoke to soon, my 3008 GT stop/start has stopped working and on passing my local battery supplier called in and got them to check the battery. They advised that the battery was ok but that the amps were low and needed charging due to my short runs (around 10-15 miles)

Got home and put CTec charger on and left on charge for around 18hrs and drove for about 5 miles - Not a flicker of stop/start working so on my return home connected my solar panel trickle charger (sunny day) and left connected overnight, too my surprise the stop/start cut in at the bottom of my road but only worked a couple of times.

The moral of the story is, will contact the dealer to see if they will replace the battery under warranty and/or will get into the habit of leaving the solar panel charger connected overnight.
Watch this space!.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Start/stop won’t always work immediately after charging as the “intelligent” (as if...) battery system needs to relearn the new battery levels. I’m not at all surprised it only worked on your second journey.
Having said that, 10-15 mile journeys should be more than enough to keep the battery healthy, unless they are infrequent journeys, of course.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Start/stop won’t always work immediately after charging as the “intelligent” (as if...) battery system needs to relearn the new battery levels. I’m not at all surprised it only worked on your second journey.
Having said that, 10-15 mile journeys should be more than enough to keep the battery healthy, unless they are infrequent journeys, of course.
I agree that the battery has to retain a good state of charge, above 75%, according to my dealer in order for S/S to work, I for one are thankful that it no longer works. My belief is that it does nothing for economy and only a little for ecology and does more long term damage to the engine. During lockdown I have charged both cars once a month to keep to battery topped up. It refreshes the 208 S/S for a few days but does not bring the 505 S/S back to life (battery a year or so older). I’m happy with that as I think I can disable the S/S in settings if needed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Couldn't agree more (y)
S/S biggest waste of time ever! It’s to keep tree huggers happy. Costs the average motorist more through more expensive batteries you have to put up with diesels restarting and shaking you up 10 times before you get to work. 3008GT hybrid same trek to work put ACC on and fall asleep (Well you know what i mean).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problems here with my 2020 3008 - after approx. 18mths start/stop stopped. Dealer had car for 2 days! after which s/s/ worked for about a week. I don't really do long distance driving so I bought CTEK CS5 StartStop. After all night charging CS5 shows 'care' but s/s still doesn't work. Complained to CTEK who replied CS5 must be connected red to battery and black to chassis because of BMS (battery management system). My CS5 is connected red to battery and black to ground connector on firewall right of battery. Still no success.

I had 2 Audis Q5 & Q7 previously same driving habits s/s worked every time - never failed to work. Now have a New 3008 Hybrid on order for hopeful delivery in July 2021 (?) I'm wondering if they'll have s/s fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Guillaume
When't through same scenario as you but found that if I left the CTec charger on charge (setting for AGM Battery) until the Green fully charged light came on, the stop/start worked. Now have also purchased a Solar panel trickle charger(£12 of e bay) and wired in a permanently live accessory socket, now every time I park overnight I plug it in and the stop/start works every time.

So much for Peugeot electronics/design.

My Brother and Daughter both have BMW's. No problems! As you say" hope Peugeot have sorted this problem" on your new car.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I charge the battery once in 3 months or so with a Ctek mxs 10. S/S Works a couple of months thereafter. No complaints there. I don’t want it to work silly every time all year round. When it stops working on occasions it should I know it’s time for charging the battery.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
He's a follow up question is there a difference to the battery from a Manual to EAT8 on the s/s system, does the EAT8 mean the revs are kept low more meaning it does more harm to the battery upkeep or vice versa or does it not matter which system cause i've had no issue with S/S on mine in almost 3 years its a manual gearbox by the way.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Does anyone realise that if you spend £50 on a charger or £150 on a battery to get s/s to work how many years it will take to recoup your money and extra wear on starter motor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi, I have a GT that is just over 18mth old with 10000 miles on the clock a lot of my journeys are 4-6 miles due to the restrictions with some longer runs and my stop/start has worked flawlessly. I had two BMW`s before that a 320D and a 2.0 X1 with no problems.

101 - 120 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.