Peugeot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Hi all,

My stop/start stopped working ages ago, (no great issue) but got the dealer to check it when the 2nd service came round. They said it may be a battery problem. They kept the car overnight and trickle charged the battery.

I drove home and tried the stop start for the first time when I was in the drive....and it worked!

My relief was short lived however as the next day the stop/start didn't work, and hasn't worked since.

I have read loads of threads from owners who are annoyed by stop/start, but not seen any comments from anyone who has had problems with stop/start NOT working. Hopefully someone can give some advice before I go back to the dealer.
I would be happy if it actually stopped working on my car, so I don't have to switch it off each time.

If they only recharged the battery and it worked the next day, then it is probably related to the charging system and/or the battery. If the voltage drops down during driving, that means either the battery is not OK or it is not being charged properly. You should insist on that being resolved while still under warranty, otherwise it will be your problem later.

· Registered
1,103 Posts
If the problem was just the smart charging, surely Peugeot would have been flooded with complaints and would have to alter it.

I think it's likely that smart charging is a contributor, but a poor battery (e.g. can't hold charge well due to internal partial short) would also have to be part of the mix for the problem to manifest.
I agree, and because of this not all cars have this problem, because different batteries are installed for different markets.

· Registered
1,103 Posts
I don't think so. The tracker was installed a couple of weeks after I collected the car, and the stop/start worked as expected for approx 18 mths after that.
Again, you don't think that could not have something to do with your battery going bad? Draining the battery slowly 24/7....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,103 Posts
I could ask the tracker company to disable the tracker unit remotely (they can do this) to test what effect it has.

It has occurred to me though that perhaps my dash cam may be the problem. It's a Thinkware Pro model which records in parking mode. I can't recall if the stop/start issue started after I had the dash cam fitted, or before.

Its easy to take out the dashcam to test if this is the problem. It may explain why the stop / start worked when I drove home straight after the dealer had charged the battery, but didn't work the morning after.

If this is the cause of the problem, perhaps an uprated battery is the answer.
After you now mentioned two of these permanent power consumers, I am pretty sure they are the cause of your problems.

Uprated battery might help you have a good point there, but they are not cheap :)

· Registered
1,103 Posts
I wish I had your problems guys, so that I don't have to turn off the damn thing each time I start the engine.

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Supercaps have advanced heavily over the past years. A Supercap approximately the size of a car's battery can easily provide 100A of current for a time span of 10-20s. They recharge quickly too.

But like you said, Batteries usually have a life span of 3 to 5 years, after that they need replacing if the car is expected to be reliable. Supercaps age too, not so fast like the batteries do, but they also have a limited life time.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.