Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2021-1.2 GT Premium-Auto-Nimbus Grey-Leather-Pano roof
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My stop/start stopped working ages ago, (no great issue) but got the dealer to check it when the 2nd service came round. They said it may be a battery problem. They kept the car overnight and trickle charged the battery.

I drove home and tried the stop start for the first time when I was in the drive....and it worked!

My relief was short lived however as the next day the stop/start didn't work, and hasn't worked since.

I have read loads of threads from owners who are annoyed by stop/start, but not seen any comments from anyone who has had problems with stop/start NOT working. Hopefully someone can give some advice before I go back to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hi all,

My stop/start stopped working ages ago, (no great issue) but got the dealer to check it when the 2nd service came round. They said it may be a battery problem. They kept the car overnight and trickle charged the battery.

I drove home and tried the stop start for the first time when I was in the drive....and it worked!

My relief was short lived however as the next day the stop/start didn't work, and hasn't worked since.

I have read loads of threads from owners who are annoyed by stop/start, but not seen any comments from anyone who has had problems with stop/start NOT working. Hopefully someone can give some advice before I go back to the dealer.
I would be happy if it actually stopped working on my car, so I don't have to switch it off each time.

If they only recharged the battery and it worked the next day, then it is probably related to the charging system and/or the battery. If the voltage drops down during driving, that means either the battery is not OK or it is not being charged properly. You should insist on that being resolved while still under warranty, otherwise it will be your problem later.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Agreed. It is either the alternator not charging sufficiently to maintain the energy store, or the battery is defective and cannot retain it. The stop/start system is designed to require a higher charge level than that which is sufficient to start the car at the beginning of a journey. If it does not "see" that higher level, it shuts itself down.

·
Registered
15,373 Posts
Plenty people do complain of it not working and what most are doing is charging the battery fully it will then work.

Problem is the system needs a fully charged battery to work but peugeots latest version of smart charging does not fully charge the battery !

Charging overnight will get it working but its really something peugeot should address properly it would need a redesign of the charging system though so your stuck with it !

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
If the problem was just the smart charging, surely Peugeot would have been flooded with complaints and would have to alter it.

I think it's likely that smart charging is a contributor, but a poor battery (e.g. can't hold charge well due to internal partial short) would also have to be part of the mix for the problem to manifest.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If the problem was just the smart charging, surely Peugeot would have been flooded with complaints and would have to alter it.

I think it's likely that smart charging is a contributor, but a poor battery (e.g. can't hold charge well due to internal partial short) would also have to be part of the mix for the problem to manifest.
I agree, and because of this not all cars have this problem, because different batteries are installed for different markets.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Mine hasn't worked since my last trip to France. You'd think a 1400 mile round trip work work wonders on the battery... alas no... worked a couple of times when I got home and then reverted to its usual non operation mode. That was in January this year.

I'm not losing sleep over it. I'll get them to do a full battery check at its next service in August.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Aren't Peugeot claiming they use capacitators in their S&S system? It should not be relying on the main car battery that much if at all. Mine isn't working all the time either but that must be the way it works. The driving habits also contribute to this. The system has numerous criteria for working. If some are not met it would not work. Do you see the green version of the sign flickering when you stop the car? Left upper corner of the dashboard screen.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks all for your replies.

Yes Renoir, I do get the flashing green symbol you mention

Interesting comments about the 'charging system' being not up to the job. I wonder that if this was the case, then wouldn't I have had problems from when I bought the car (June 2017). The stop/start worked for the first 18 months or so. Can the charging system technically "wear out" over a relatively short time?

I am inclined to think its the battery that's not holding the required level of charge. I only do low mileage, (about 5-6 miles a day with a 40 mile trip once a week). Perhaps that's the issue. Will see what the dealer says.

Interestingly I had a problem with the keyless door lock/unlock system not functioning intermittently. The battery charge seems to have cured that issue.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I was just thinking about short trips. It isn't sufficiently charged. It may be the mysterious capacitators that are not charged enough in short trips.

I had the car in for repairs after a crash. It wasn't used for two months. The S&S isn't working yet. I drive 20km to work and the same back every day. I think it will start one day.

·
Registered
15,373 Posts
Not very good for the environment though if the system designed to help reduce pollution wont work for days at a time due to low battery voltage :)

Other manufacturers seem to be able to make stop/start work fine.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well, some other manufacturers rely on the main battery too much which leads to a complete failure in about 2 years. Mazda, Nissan, Range Rover to mention a few.

·
Registered
15,373 Posts
Yes but until the battery fails the system works :)

Modern vehicles use way more electrics than they did even 10 years ago so batteries dont last so well.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
the 3008 however works flawlessly or it has until I have posted this :)
So does mine. Certain things may stop it working temporarily though such as Aircon for example but my car is one year old now and S/S has always worked from day one.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again for all the comments from my original post.

With regards to the possibility of a faulty battery causing the stop / start issue.....

I have a tracker app on my phone which functions with the Smartrack (Thatcham Cat 6) tracker unit which is installed in the car. When logging on to the app, you can display a screen which gives the current location of the vehicle. This screen also shows the current voltage of the battery (the tracker unit in the car monitors for large battery voltage changes which may be caused by the battery being tampered with).

When the car is parked and engine off and I log onto the tracker app, the tracker app consistently shows the battery voltage within a range of 12.3 - 12.5 volts. Can anyone advise if this is the voltage which would be expected from a "healthy" battery when parked?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think that 12.3 - 12.5v is on the low side it should be nearer to 12.8 - 13.0v when fully charged. Take a look at this article it contains a chart showing voltage against % charge. When looking at the article bear in mind that the battery fitted to the 3008 (and almost all other modern stop/start cars) is the AGM type of battery.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.