Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stop light came on then went out then back on again, got back home as I didn't know what the symbol was, turned out be be a 'coolant cap' so assumed I had a leak or just needed topping up. Looked under the bonnet and undid what I presumed to be the coolant cap and it was basically black thick oil!!!!
So I checked the hand book and yes I'd got the company cap, so what if anything could cause this or is oil supposed to be in there? Or does it sound like head gasket!

·
Registered
273 Posts
the oil coolers a simple change but its a hassle cleaning out the water system from the oil, it might take 3 or 4 flushes and the header tank removed and power hosed out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
the oil coolers a simple change but its a hassle cleaning out the water system from the oil, it might take 3 or 4 flushes and the header tank removed and power hosed out.
Try running a couple of times with a few capfuls of liquid washing machine detergent in the system. Has worked for me every time. Squeeky clean. Just don't forget to refill afterwards with the correct coolant mix after a last flush with clean water ! :lol:

·
Registered
273 Posts
the last time I did one all I could find was dishwasher tablets , I must say they worked a treat, don,t have a clue if they are good for the system or not but they cleaned it out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update, yesterday I took my partner (car) to my mates garage to see if it was head gasket or oil cooler £900 or £280 so I was hoping for the latter. I even got a puncture on the way to the garage which didn't bode well, anyway he got back to me and yes it was the Cooler😄, but I am now left wondering how often do they go and is there anything I can do to help prevent it happening again?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We'll I've picked car up and the bloody stop light is still on with coolant cap symbol, rang my mate who said it will be the sensor maybe it is contaminated. As it's Christmas it will have to wait but is the sensor East to get at?

·
Registered
273 Posts
if you look on top of the header tank on the other side from the cap you will see the wires on the sensor, just give it half a turn and lift it out and clean it (no tools required), hopefully this will work and make sure its topped up because low water level will bring it on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, just had a quick look and it looks like it's on the front of the tank facing offside headlight? To dark to see it properly so will have a look tomorrow, also if I take it out won't some coolant be lost?

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Thanks, just had a quick look and it looks like it's on the front of the tank facing offside headlight? To dark to see it properly so will have a look tomorrow, also if I take it out won't some coolant be lost?
Only if the coolant level is higher than the bottom of the sensor. The warning light may be showing because the coolant is a little low. I keep getting the beeping and the low coolant message until the engine warms up and the coolant expands and covers the sensor again. Loosing a small amount of coolant but can't see any leaks so suspecting it's the expansion tank cap at fault - maybe too weak and allowing water to dribble out. Takes about a litre of water to top up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well got round to cleaning the sensor as it did have a little oil around probes, started engine and STOP lift still on so popped to asda got some coolant and topped up and light has now gone out, again many thanks for the help in my hour of need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts