Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to clean the car today. Keyless entry worked fine to open it. After finishing I decided to put the battery on trickle charge for a few hours.
When I came to lock it afterwards, the keyless touch pads on either door handle would not lock the car, and I had to use the remote key, but when I locked the car with the key, the alarm light on the dash did not come on. Tried it several times on each side, but nothing.
I started the car, ran the engine for a few seconds and then switched off, and the keyless open and shut is now working on both sides every time, and the alarm light is flashing.
No idea what's going on here, because if there was a fault surely it would be happening all the time. The fact that starting the engine for a few seconds solved the problem could be the answer I suppose, but I'm not sure why.
I understand the hands free operations in this car go into long term standby to preserve the battery after the car has been standing for a period of time, but I thought this was after a couple of weeks or so, not a few days. Apparently opening with the remote key and starting the engine wakes it up. So, any thoughts anyone?? Storeman, have you ever come across something like this on any of your Peugeots??

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I put inexplicably events, associated with the modern tech laden cars, down to the voltage state. A quick run is like a reboot to me. I've even heard of disconnecting the battery for around 30 mins can do a reset.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Decided to clean the car today. Keyless entry worked fine to open it. After finishing I decided to put the battery on trickle charge for a few hours.
When I came to lock it afterwards, the keyless touch pads on either door handle would not lock the car, and I had to use the remote key, but when I locked the car with the key, the alarm light on the dash did not come on. Tried it several times on each side, but nothing.
I started the car, ran the engine for a few seconds and then switched off, and the keyless open and shut is now working on both sides every time, and the alarm light is flashing.
No idea what's going on here, because if there was a fault surely it would be happening all the time. The fact that starting the engine for a few seconds solved the problem could be the answer I suppose, but I'm not sure why.
I understand the hands free operations in this car go into long term standby to preserve the battery after the car has been standing for a period of time, but I thought this was after a couple of weeks or so, not a few days. Apparently opening with the remote key and starting the engine wakes it up. So, any thoughts anyone?? Storeman, have you ever come across something like this on any of your Peugeots??
Correct me if i am wrong , but if this is a new car , why did you have to trickle charge it , is there something wrong with the battery ??

·
Registered
486 Posts
Lee why do you need trickle charge a brand new vehicle? Based on my experience, sometimes new car electronics mess up when you charge vehicle with external power source. Do not charge vehicle battery unless it is really necessary.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I work away, and use my company car as fuel and insurance is paid for. Sometimes my 3008 will sit for 1-2 weeks, unless the wife decides to use it. I have found the battery tends to drop about 1.5 amps a day until the car goes into "battery protection mode", so I put it on charge for a few hours at a charge rate of up to 3.8 amps per hour when I get home. The battery remains connected to the car during the process, but I was advised by Peugeot Technical that it was perfectly OK to do this. I take your point about chargers and modern electrical systems, so I will see if leaving it, and then taking it for a long run instead overcomes this issue. There have been numerous issues with PSA hands free systems in the past, but I thought these had been addressed on newer models.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keyless entry and locking seems to be working fine today. The only thing I did notice was that after unlocking and locking the doors several times without opening any of them, when I finally locked the car for the last time, the alarm "armed" light did not come on, and start flashing. So, not sure whether you have to physically open the door after unlocking, then close it and lock the car to arm it. I took the car for a short run after that, and the alarm armed normally when I locked the car after getting back. It's all very odd, and the dealer hasn't got a clue whether that is normal, or whether there might be a fault - nothing new there then.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
That just makes me think so many imponderables with hi tech cars of today come down to voltage.
The JD Power survey of owner satisfaction has driven BMW to new batteries annually.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I was locking and unlocking the car trying to get the alarm to arm, there was an unusual message in the dashboard display. I couldn't make all of it out because of the bright sunlight, but it was something about "Eco Mode". Maybe the car doesn't like being locked and unlocked multiple times in succession to test the keyless entry, and goes into a sulk mode!!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
When I was locking and unlocking the car trying to get the alarm to arm, there was an unusual message in the dashboard display. I couldn't make all of it out because of the bright sunlight, but it was something about "Eco Mode". Maybe the car doesn't like being locked and unlocked multiple times in succession to test the keyless entry, and goes into a sulk mode!!
I never use all the voltage draining aspects such as interior lights automatically coming on when a door is opened, leaving the radio on or playing with the satnav without the engine running.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Although still early days, these sorts of unexplained electrical anomalies coupled with the on-going issues with Tom Tom Live, and my thoroughly useless local dealer, would likely put me off buying another Peugeot, at least until a new model has been proven, and Peugeot UK have given them a good hard kick up the rrssse.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Although still early days, these sorts of unexplained electrical anomalies coupled with the on-going issues with Tom Tom Live, and my thoroughly useless local dealer, would likely put me off buying another Peugeot, at least until a new model has been proven, and Peugeot UK have given them a good hard kick up the rrssse.
With so much tech, an uprated battery might be a good start.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree, aside from all the electrics, the stop/start significantly reduces amps and voltage, especially if you do a lot of short journeys, and forget to go into the menus to switch it off. It actually starts operating within a couple of minutes of starting the engine, not when it has reached full operating temperature, which would be more sensible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts